Speed issues with Netgear WNDR4000 DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RJTeets
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:15    Post subject: Speed issues with Netgear WNDR4000 DD-WRT Reply with quote
I just received my purchase from Flash Routers and my router is a Netgear WNDR4000 DD-WRT (bulid 25408) v24-sp2 11/20/14 mega
It came pre-installed. I hooked it up and setup my wireless network settings. My PC is hardwired in Ethernet Port #1 however without using the VPN from HMA (Hide My A**) when i go to www.speedtest.net I only 64.86 Mbps Download and 23.57 Upload. My upload speed is correct however the download speed is completely wrong I should be getting around 150 to 180 Mbps depending on the time of day. When I connect just via modem minus router I get these speeds. What do I need to do to increase speed? Remember it came pre-installed with DD-WRT and all I did was hook it up and follow instructions on how to setup wireless network. I haven't even connected by VPN yet.

RJTeets
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is about the max your 4000 can handle when running dd-wrt. It will be considerably slower over vpn.

dd-wrt imposes a performance hit on low powered routers due to handling wan traffic via software versus the stock Netgear firmware which uses some proprietary hardware acceleration.

The high powered R7000 ($149.99 via Newegg on Ebay) on dd-wrt is good for about 320mbs.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: