Discussion about a smart supplementary feautre for DNS setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware

Would you use this feature?
Yes, I would. It's absolutely necessary.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No, I would not. It's needless.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Oliverda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 16:57    Post subject: Discussion about a smart supplementary feautre for DNS setup Reply with quote
There is one feature what I really miss from DD-WRT compared to some other factory firmwares, which is the way of the setup of the DNS servers. I use the ISP's two DNS servers as primary and secondary, and as backup there is Google's server. For this configuration I have to input manually all the three addresses in DD-WRT, and if for some reason the ISP changes one (or both) of the addresses one day, then there will be an issue, or I just will not know about it at least.

For example Zyxel's factory firmware does let you to do this:

I think DD-WRT should offer the feature in this way:

...or something like this.

What do you think?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
tried it, or similar to it. kong basically thought it was dumb & pointless so..all we got is the way it is & just do not enable strict order, so queries are answered by the fastest dns server which is usually the isp if ur provider is decent, pings to mine is 8ms, google 32ms, opendns 42ms.

with any decent modem u shouldnt need to have to put in the isp dns if strict order is off, the modem should be passing down the dns to the router both when the modem is in bridge mode & when its not

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Oliverda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
tried it, or similar to it. kong basically thought it was dumb & pointless so..all we got is the way it is & just do not enable strict order, so queries are answered by the fastest dns server which is usually the isp if ur provider is decent, pings to mine is 8ms, google 32ms, opendns 42ms.

with any decent modem u shouldnt need to have to put in the isp dns if strict order is off, the modem should be passing down the dns to the router both when the modem is in bridge mode & when its not

I rather use the third DNS for backup purposes, because I know it is slower than the ones from the ISP. In two or three times in a year there are various issues with the ISP's servers, so it can be pretty useful.

The problem is, if I only input Google's DNS as third, then it jumps straight to the first place after hit apply, and the result is:

I would prefer the backup as third DNS, but I can only set it third if I input the two from ISP manually before.

Btw, where can I adjust that mentioned strict order setting?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
ignore the positioning it doesnt mean its being used first unless strict-order is enabled, if its disabled it uses whichever dns server responds fastest. strict-order is on the services page for dnsmasq

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: