USR5461 compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
altas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, pls give more Infos how do you flash the USR5461 correct.

i have tried it with TFTP but no sucessfully
Sponsor
JeffG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
altas wrote:
Yes, pls give more Infos how do you flash the USR5461 correct.

I have tried it with TFTP but no sucessfully

I used atftp on linux (ps3 ubuntu to be specific) to flash USR5461 successfully. The command I used is:
Code:
atftp --trace --option="mode octet" -option="timeout 1" --put --local-file dd-wrt.v24-10328_NEWD_micro-plus.bin 192.168.2.1

Note:
1. I don't have a switch/hub, therefore I did it without the help of switch/hub. The ethernet card light on the linux host (ps3) does go out when I power off the router, but it come back quickly (in 1-2 seconds).
2. I found that the timing to power on the router matters. First I start the aftp command, then power off the router. Then wait for several seconds. The atftp will print some message like:
Code:

sent WRQ <file: dd-wrt.v24-10328_NEWD_micro-plus.bin, mode: octet <timeout: 1>>
source port mismatch, check bypassedtimeout: retrying...
sent WRQ <file: dd-wrt.v24-10328_NEWD_micro-plus.bin, mode: octet <timeout: 1>>

Between the two "send WRQ.." messages, there is 1 second gap. Power on the router in some point in between. For me, the first quarter second works. Your situation may be different (due to the behavior of the ethernet card and the OS).
3. Enable the WOL (wake on lan) on the card that connects to the router may be helpful. I tried flash with WOL disabled without success. But this is by no means a definite conclusion that WOL helped me, and will definitely help anyone with WOL enabled. But at least, it worth a try - it worked for me:-)
4. I failed to flash on Windows.
altas
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no Linux to use

only Win XP or Vista
eaglesvr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
How to tFtp back the manufacturer firmware to usr router in case flash is not successful? Downloaded from USR site firmware is the special ".usr: format, not ".bin"
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
From vista/xp open up a cmd window (Start->Run->cmd, or Window->search->cmd), then type

"tftp -i 192.168.2.1 PUT <path to file>\dd-wrt.v24-10328_NEWD_micro-plus.bin"

Same goes for going back to factory (to my knowledge, well, it will probably need to use 192.168.1.1 now).

I'm going to try out the NEWD micro-plus build tomorrow. I was trying the v24-sp1 and v24 micro generics and having no luck tonight. I didn't see this thread until now, otherwise I would have tried it earlier. I just want to get the router to a point where I can do a wired->wireless bridge mode with my existing wireless network so I can use the more powerful antenna instead of the crap one on the usb wireless that I am using on that particular computer (as well as connect up a network printer that I have in the same room).
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, while windows would work to flash, I have to say, it is a LOT easier using linux or unix to do something like this. They just have all the tools built in to help troubleshoot anything that might be happening, ethereal, snoop, ssh... makes life a lot easier (well, I guess I am biased a bit being a unix/linux system administrator... I mean, I know windows pretty darn well and could easily maintain it for a living, but why would I want to go through that pain... unix/linux just work once setup).
Fallen Kell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to let everyone know, I used the dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin release tonight, and it flashed perfectly. I have my router now configured as a wireless client bridge and it is working fine (had some headaches getting the bridge mode setup, but that was mostly because of the security settings of my network like MAC filtering, etc.).

Again, everything seems to work perfectly with the 10600 NEWD micro-plus build.
lanckwi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 13:03    Post subject: install dd-wrt on USR5461 via webinterface Reply with quote
I just installed dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin on an old USR5461 via the webinterface...

You have to do a small trick first since the USR does some checking on the image (otherwise the upgrade fails).

In fact I copied the 28 first bytes of an original usr firmware and inserted in the beginning of "dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin", attention, inserting, not overwriting (I used a free hexeditor XVI32 for this).

After this operation, the file loaded without any problem.

William
vietsb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 18:11    Post subject: Many thanks to Eko! Reply with quote
I have DD-WRT running on a Buffalo G at work, so I've been checking every couple of months for a good release for my old home USR 5461 that I haven't ditched yet since it runs fine. I actually bought an Asus WL-520GU to prepare for final USR burial, but then I see these Eko TNG NEWD Micro-builds and was ecstatic to see 'plus-SSH' so my port forwarding needs are answered.

I've run most all the versions starting at 10600 and as of today's release (11028), I'm getting good results so far. The only issues I've seen are:

-I can't seem to upgrade firmware via the DD-WRT web GUI when running previous micro plus ssh builds - I just get "Upgrade Failed". No worries, I just power-cycle and TFTP the image to the last known LAN IP of the router during Boot Wait. Works every time.

-From time to time and worse on certain builds, the CPU will spike up to 2+ if I'm testing simultaneous admin functions such as DD-WRT web GUI (3 sec Status refresh), SSH session, and telnet. In extreme cases, it would spin up and never come back down till power-cycled. In the meantime, wireless would be nearly unusable and wired would be sluggish (both for obvious reasons). While typing this, I repeated the issue and got a 4+ load average on the Status page, but it has been able to recover on its own.

-Not an issue, but I was curious if there were any release notes for these Micro Builds? Probably not, but just checking. I joined bugtracker, but didn't find anything. I'm mainly curious since it might help me decide which builds to demo and which to pass on.

Thanks again Eko + keep up the excellent work!

System
======
Router Model: U.S.Robotics USR5461
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/30/08 ) micro-plus-ssh - build 11028M NEWD Eko
Uptime: 54 min

Update 2008-12-11: Running Build 11100 I'm seeing much better DD-WRT web GUI response and there's less CPU impact when flipping screens. I was able to spin up the CPU while running SSH and then telnet at the same time, resulting in the need for a power cycle. Regardless, as long as web GUI or SSH can be run independently with small impact to the CPU, I'm still ecstatic!

Update 2008-12-11: Back to Build 11028 because Applying web GUI changes would usually result in loss of contact w/ the router.

Last edited by vietsb on Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:43; edited 2 times in total
eaglesvr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 15:51    Post subject: Re: install dd-wrt on USR5461 via webinterface Reply with quote
lanckwi wrote:
I just installed dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin on an old USR5461 via the webinterface...
In fact I copied the 28 first bytes of an original usr firmware and inserted in the beginning of "dd-wrt.v24-10600_NEWD_micro-plus.bin", attention, inserting, not overwriting (I used a free hexeditor XVI32 for this).

I did the same - no problem. In order to make this easier I'm attaching a file -first 28 bytes of .usr. Now one can make a file acceptable for usr by
copy /b usr5461_hdr.bin+ dd-wrt_xxxxxxx.bin result_file.usr
Before I tried to use tftp under windows w/o success

USR5461_hdr.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  USR5461_hdr.bin
 Filesize:  28 Bytes
 Downloaded:  8024 Time(s)

vietsb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Re: install dd-wrt on USR5461 via webinterface Reply with quote
eaglesvr wrote:
In order to make this easier I'm attaching a file -first 28 bytes of .usr. Now one can make a file acceptable for usr by
copy /b usr5461_hdr.bin+ dd-wrt_xxxxxxx.bin result_file.usr
Before I tried to use tftp under windows w/o success

That's a great contribution for folks that haven't gotten TFTP working and want a simple way to upgrade straight from OEM USR firmware and web GUI. I'm sure they appreciate it eaglesvr!
mazilo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
billymuyo wrote:
You sometimes have to push the reset button several times in a row to get it to respond.

I had a USR5461 flashed with DDWRT v23sp1. I played with it a few days and it bricked. After more than a year in bricked mode, I decided to hook this device with a serial-console cable. With a serial-console cable hooked to my USR5461, here is how I debricked it:
  1. Press reset button for 10 seconds or until all LEDs lite up.
  2. Release/press (toggle) the reset button for a few seconds and let go the reset button.
  3. The router started to boot.

Once I regained access to this router, I flashed it with a DDWRT v24sp1 micro firmware through TFTP. Then, I flashed the USR original firmware through TFTP before I sold the device.

A friend of mine still has two USR5461 routers stowed away in the basement. He also has some PC2700 128 RAM (4 x 32MB chips) available that probably can be used to upgrade the 8MB into a 32MB RAM. Since none of us is a hardware geek, we just don't have the right tools/skills to perform such a hardware surgery to replace the RAM. However, if you live in Atlanta, GA, and have the right tools/skills to perform this mod, he will be more than willing to share one of the 32MB chips with you to upgrade your USR5461 RAM provided you also help him to upgrade his two USR5461 units + a Belkin router. At least, this was what he told me, last year.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:02    Post subject: Succesull Install Reply with quote
After two days I have managed to install dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin to my USR 5461. Actually I learned that it was very easy to install a new firmware.
I am summarizing the previous posts, that are really helpful for me:

0. The directory that contains working images are located under /downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG or follow this link
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FV24_TNG

1. Connect your router with a cable (not to the wan port).
Define a static IP on your pc:
IP:192.168.2.101
subnet: 255.255.255.0.
You do not need a gateway and dns server.
2. start tftp by issuing:
atftp --trace --option="mode octet" -option="timeout 1" --put --local-file dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin 192.168.2.1
3. reset your router
4. You will see the image is loading to the router.
5. When the wireless link becomes stable, than your router with new firmware is ready.

This simple step take two days to discover. Because it is not clear:
1. What ever it happens, how your router seems to be bricked, you have a file loader active on reset. (I don't know whether the boot-loader is residing in ROM or EEPROM)
2. You do not need to open the case in case of failure, just reset and resend the firmware
3. DON'T FORGET INITIAL USER-PASSWORD pair in username: root password: admin (This may lead you several unnessary tries)
4. 30/30/30 reset procedure seems not working, just reflash and use root:admin pair on telnet/web interface
5. If you are not using the US robotics web interface you do not need US robotics header file, just use the downloaded file.
Hunter8456
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25    Post subject: Success with USR 5461 Reply with quote
I was successful installing DD-wrt on my old 6451 after reading most of these posts. I tried TFTP and it didn't work for me. Here's how I was successful.

Get dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin (as oreizon posted)from: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn11650
Downloaded USR5461_hdr.bin from eaglesvr's post and combined the two files as he instructed.
Do the 30/30/30 reset on the router. Your IP address is now 192.168.2.1
Define a static IP on your pc:
IP:192.168.2.101
Subnet: 255.255.255.0.
You do not need a gateway and dns server
Cable your router to a LAN port
Access the router's interface at 192.168.2.1. You may have to use 192.168.2.1/device.asp.
Select the file you joined in the upgrade firmware section and hit upgrade in the interface. Hands off now! I had no script or anything that told me an upgrade was in progress. When it was done, I got the USR screen telling me to "continue" but you can't.
When the upgrade was done, I had to reboot the router and change my static IP to 169.168.1.2 to get back into the dd-wrt software. It took a few minutes but it worked! Hope it works for you!
Hunter8456
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Update to Previous Reply with quote
I quickly had troubles with dd-wrt.v24-11650_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin on my 5461. My DHCP server didn't seem to be working right and the router would slow to a crawl.

I reflashed with dd-wrt.v24-10431_NEWD_micro-plus.bin. The router now seems to be working properly and I think it is a bit faster than the original US Robotics firmware.

Good luck!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: