WRT600N web page goes inaccessible, loses settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 16:25    Post subject: WRT600N web page goes inaccessible, loses settings? Reply with quote
On two recent occasions my WRT600N's configuration page became inaccessible (would not load on my LAN). The router was still working to access Internet and local network resouces. I unplugged to force a reboot and find the router comes back up on default settings, losing my configuration altogether.

I am on recommended 14929 build, mega.

What is going on and how do I fix? Do I need a different build?

Thanks
Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
What features were you using?

Likely you are having/had an issue with the nvram filling up. Use of the traffic monitoring can contribute to this. Using a lot of the features of DD-WRT can also contribute to this problem. It has been reported by several people that when the nvram fills up, the router will reset clearing all settings. Using features that take a lot of nvram space contribute to the problem.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
What features were you using?

Likely you are having/had an issue with the nvram filling up. Use of the traffic monitoring can contribute to this. Using a lot of the features of DD-WRT can also contribute to this problem. It has been reported by several people that when the nvram fills up, the router will reset clearing all settings. Using features that take a lot of nvram space contribute to the problem.

I did have traffic monitoring turned on and have some scripts in the command tab, but I think I still had a few thousand bytes of nvram left, but could not be sure. Any other possible causes?

And why did the configuration pages become inaccessible and the router lose settings only after the reboot? Is that also a symptom of the memory filling up, or is there something else possibly going on?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normally it is a symptom of the nvram filling up. Odd things start to happen and then when the "next" program wants to write to memory, the router becomes unresponsive and reboots loosing all of its settings. The "typical" biggest cause of the memory filling up is setting up a lot of services and in addition using the traffic monitoring service. The traffic monitoring service saves a lot of data to nvram and does not consider how much space is left. On some of the newer firmwares (post 17???), I think there are some fixes to that, but I would have to look at the firmware timeline again to be sure.

Read! Peacock thread
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I resetup this router with traffic log off about a month ago hoping to correct this, and the issue just recurred. Tonight the Internet was being flakey and I unplugged and replugged the router and it booted back up in default configuration. So what in normal operation would run it out of NVRAM, if I am not accumulating traffic data?
mjw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 21:56    Post subject: WRT600N resets to default configuration Reply with quote
This happens periodically (say once every year) to my wrt600n as well. I've been on 2 different versions of DD-WRT. Currently I'm on Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) mega.

Did you ever find a version that doesn't suffer from this problem? Not only is it a real pain to put all the settings back in place, but it leave my home network completely open and unprotected until I notice that it's happened.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could also be a "flaky" power supply. The WRT600n requires all of the power that the one supplied with it provides. You might want to invest in one that has more amperage. barryware can attest to the power supplies being weak.

Read! Peacock thread
mjw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 13:56    Post subject: Which firmware file are you currently using? Reply with quote
Crashfly - thanks for the suggestion. I would also like to try upgrading my firmware. I am currently running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) mega - build 13525

I notice from your signature that it says:

WRT600n v1.1 refirb-mega 18687 BS K24 NEWD2 

Is this a stable and well performing firmware for the WRT600n? I read some of your other posts and it sounds like you use wrt610n firmware on your wrt600n. But it's not clear from your signature. Also, where can I find the build type called "refirb-mega"? I found this firmware (just regular mega though)
http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/03-08-12-r18687/files/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mega_wrt610n.bin

Is this the firmware you are using?

There seems to be no way from the file name to know whether it contains the NEWD or NEWD2 driver. I don't think the organization of the firmware files on this website could be any more confusing if they tried...

Thanks
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
It could also be a "flaky" power supply. The WRT600n requires all of the power that the one supplied with it provides. You might want to invest in one that has more amperage. barryware can attest to the power supplies being weak.
I already did that. I have 5amp power supply, and I still get this reset about every 1.5 months, with traffic logging off and about 3k spare nvram after putting in my setup. I am still on 14929 mega build. Any suggestions for what is otherwise a decent router?
beltway
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
FWIW, I've been on:

(11/14/09) big
(SVN revision 13230M NEWD-2 Eko)

for the last couple years without any sort of self-resetting (or other severe) problems that I've noticed. I've got the WRT600N v1.1, bought as a refurb.

I was poking around here looking for info on IPv6 support and/or any reasons to update to a newer version, but I'm getting a distinct "If it ain't broke..." feeling from this and other threads...

The 600 has been a solid router for me on DD-WRT. I feel lucky having tried 5-6 different builds over the first few years and never had any major problems like you're describing. I've tended to stay away from "mega" builds since I really don't need the fringe features. Not sure if having a little more RAM available has helped or not, but sure can't hurt.

Good luck!
pixl97
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been using

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) mega - build 18777

Only issue I seem to have is if wl1 is enabled I have to hard reset the unit to get it to work again.

The whole IPV6 thing here is getting weird, ISPs are starting to push out DHCP6-PD so it is a feature that is going to be needed by more and more people. My ISP is telling their customers to buy DOCSIS 3 modems so they can have IPv6 support in the future (they just dropped support for any pre v.2 modem). I currently use a tunnel, but when they start the tests here I'd like to keep using this router natively.

IPv6 isn't coming, it's here. To everyone else I say

1::EA7:DEAD:BEEF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: