Project for a Wizard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
fmarshall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 17:24    Post subject: Project for a Wizard Reply with quote
I'm trying to instrument a network link to see how various interruptions affect operations. For example: how many packets need to be dropped for a VPN tunnel to drop its "connection"?

The idea would be to plug a specially-configured router (using 2 of its switch ports) transparently into an Ethernet link.

- I would like to be able to specify a dropout in terms of "number of packets" OR "milliseconds". I don't care which.

- I can envision doing this by manipulating the switch in something like a WRT54G. So, there would be:

.. two router ports dedicated to this special function.
.. a management interface that would:
1) specify the dropout size as above (and, ideally, ability to loop with increasing size)
2) specify the dropout rate (e.g. one dropout each [seconds] or something like zero or "no repeat" for no repetition.
3) a "GO" button to initiate the dropout(s).

An example:

Ports 1 and 2 are the "special ports" either by default or selectable (selectable isn't important).

[Connect an Ethernet link to ports 1 and 2. Normal operation will pass through everything in both directions transparently. No IP addresses needed, just raw data like through an RJ45 Coupler].

In the GUI Enter:
Packets to drop: [1]
Loop increase by: [1] (zero don't loop)
Loop increase every [10] seconds.
Loop stop at:[20] packets
[GO] button

I don't have the ability to do this myself.
I do know that there are circumstances where it would be a very useful tool.

Questions? Comments?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: