TP-Link Archer C9 Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Serial cable can be used to flash even if it's not bricked. Makes things easier.
Might be smart to have with an archer c9

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
tarq wrote:
Archer C9 V1.

I was on the very latest TPLink firmware as of a couple of days ago, downgraded to lowest TP firmware I could find (2015/5/7 (us) - I think)

Flash'd to dd-wrt 2016-05-10 no problems, yesterday went to the very latest dd-wrt 2016-11-14, again no problems.

Seems better then 5/10.

I am not using any advanced functions just the basics - all is well.
It did change my MAC address on the 11/14 flash. (so what?)
Both versions the LAN light does not light up.
Speeds/Range seem slightly better but that could be just me Wink

Now if I could only figure out how to get IPVanish working!!!

Thought I'd share to many Brick posts.

Greetings dear fellows,
been reading you all for awhile now and I got to say you doing a great work both developers and community with your feedbacks its very helpful to many people.

So, I thought I could participate to this thread as I am a proud owner of an Archer c9 amd might be helpful to others like you were to me. Rolling Eyes

I can gratefully confirm the successful upgrade to the last version 3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16)and going to be checking it the next few days. Very Happy

The problem I had with my previous installed version 09-22-2016-r30681 was that the connection and wifi dropped daily since I put it on which I didnt experienced before with a older version r28...something.

Screenshot_3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.31 KB
 Viewed:  9522 Time(s)

Screenshot_3.png

MrsMagoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can confirm that the 11-14-2016 build is, from what I can tell, stable. I was previously using 04-05-2016-r29409 for about 6 months and finally decided to chance it and switch after I saw a couple people having success. Not only did it lower the time at which websites load, but my ping has been decreased too. Also, upgrading lowered my temps by about 3-4 degrees.

Keep in mind, though, that I have been running this firmware for only a few days now.
900supersport
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got a c9 v1 and now have v3.0-r30880 std (11/14/16) running.

I've got guest wireless, VPN, entware-ng and pixelserv-nls all running.

Seems like a good set-up to me in the few days I've been running it. Never had such good wireless signal throughout the house.

Brian
simontomi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
simontomi wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've got an Archer C9 v2.0 with dd-wrt flashed, however, I'd like to go back to stock, as I found WiFi to be a lot more reliable with it.

AFAIK flashing dd-wrt didn't change the MAC address, but I did notice that the last digit was different from the sticker when checking it on the dd-wrt web interface.

I've been searching for a tutorial on how to revert this router back to stock (I'm a noob), but I have not found any for the V2.0, so I need your help Smile

Bumping this, could anyone tell me how to revert my Archer C9 v2 to stock, please?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive already given you one method. Here is another http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

I've just spent 15 minutes looking. It is your router, your responsibility. You need to do some work yourself.
Next router you buy, make sure of the flashing and revert process before installing third party firmware.
If it's too much work for you, stay with stock.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Ive already given you one method. Here is another http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0.

I've just spent 15 minutes looking. It is your router, your responsibility. You need to do some work yourself.
Next router you buy, make sure of the flashing and revert process before installing third party firmware.
If it's too much work for you, stay with stock.

I know of this method, but I'm not sure if it would work. Do you know if one would still need a stripped stock firmware, if the TP-Link partition isn't overwritten? I don't know of any stripped fw for my version.
Thanks for your help.
Stuey3D
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the latest 12/15/16 build on my C9v2 and it works brilliantly.

Went from stock to the version that was suggested by the wiki, then to the 11/14/16 build that others have said is stable and then went to the build I'm on now.

Router works amazingly with one bug that I can't seem to figure out how to fix, and thats the 5Ghz wifi being stuck in 40Mhz mode even though 80mhz is selected.

Not a massive issue as my main machine is only a 450Mb/s N MacBook and DD-WRT has made my entire network a hell of a lot more stable and more importantly IPv6 now works where I couldn't get it to work with latest stock TP-Link firmware.

Anyone know of any fix for the 80Mhz issue yet or is it a case of wait and see if it gets fixed? as in the future when I eventually an AC compatible laptop this will be quite important to have working.

I have to admit I was nervous about flashing DD-WRT as there is no "easy" way of going back to stock via GUI like there is for others, but I had a bug on stock firmware where my iPhones would randomly freeze and DD-WRT fixed that straight away so really quite impressed with it.
pa2k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
After hours of research and preparation over the last few weeks, and encouraged by the positive experiences lately, I had a go at installing 11-14-2016-r30880 on my 3-month old c9v2 yesterday, following these steps on a cabled http connection:

* Disabled anti-virus-software
* Did a 30/30/30 reset
* Downgraded to earliest available stock firmware = Archer_C9(EU)_V2_151230
* Did a 30/30/30 reset
* Loaded factory-to-dd-wrt
* Waited a few mins after flashing
* Did a 30/30/30 reset

Result: Failure. All lights flash intermittently in what I gather is a bootloop or somesuch.

Being prepared for failure I fired up tftpd and tried loading first the same factory-to-dd-wrt.bin and when that failed the c9v2_un-up-ver4-0-0-P24[20151230-rel76805].bin. Both files were renamed correctly of course, and verified on screen as downloaded to the router.

Still no luck, and I cannot gather why this should fail. The only thing I can imagine would be not waiting for long enough before the last 30/30/30 reset, though it was at least a couple of minutes.

Started looking into the serial/USB solution, but I don't really want to spend more time on this project unless I'm certain to succeed, so I'm now inclined to just accept the loss and move on with another router.

Thus I'm posting this experience primarily for the benefit of others (to highlight that there is still some risk involved), though simple suggestions would of course be appreciated.

Finally, if someone would like a probably-easy-to-debrick-with-USB-to-TTL c9v2 router for a symbolic sum.. well, I'll have one gathering dust in my basement.

edit: that last offer wasn't really thought through, as international shipping from my northern european country would easily surpass $40. Still, if you're nearby.. Smile

Last edited by pa2k on Tue Dec 20, 2016 17:43; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
pa2k wrote:
After hours of research and preparation over the last few weeks, and encouraged by the positive experiences lately, I had a go at installing 11-14-2016-r30880 on my 3-month old c9v2 yesterday, following these steps on a cabled http connection:

* Disabled anti-virus-software
* Did a 30/30/30 reset
* Downgraded to earliest available stock firmware = Archer_C9(EU)_V2_151230
* Did a 30/30/30 reset
* Loaded factory-to-dd-wrt
* Waited a few mins after flashing
* Did a 30/30/30 reset

Result: Failure. All lights flash intermittently in what I gather is a bootloop or somesuch.

Being prepared for failure I fired up tftpd and tried loading first the same factory-to-dd-wrt.bin and when that failed the c9v2_un-up-ver4-0-0-P24[20151230-rel76805].bin. Both files were renamed correctly of course, and verified on screen as downloaded to the router.

Still no luck, and I cannot gather why this should fail. The only thing I can imagine would be not waiting for long enough before the last 30/30/30 reset, though it was at least a couple of minutes.

Started looking into the serial/USB solution, but I don't really want to spend more time on this project unless I'm certain to succeed, so I'm now inclined to just accept the loss and move on with another router.

Thus I'm posting this experience primarily for the benefit of others (to highlight that there is still some risk involved), though simple suggestions would of course be appreciated.

Finally, if someone would like a probably-easy-to-debrick-with-USB-to-TTL c9v2 router for a symbolic sum.. well, I'll have one gathering dust in my basement.

Pm sent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget what I said earlier about 80MHz on 5GHz I've fixed it Smile

Disabled Auto channel, changed my extension to "upper lower" which allowed me to select centre channel of 44 and voila 80Mhz is working with full 1300Mb/s AC speed.

The minute I change back to Auto channel it always chooses one of the DFS channels as there is a few things on 36 around me so the higher channels avoid the other stuff but at the expense of loosing 80Mhz mode.
DarkSides166
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 16:23    Post subject: Archer C9v1 boot loop Reply with quote
Hi, I tried the Way like here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naWXf-d33Pk

but somethig went wrong and I had a Boot Loop...
then I tried to go back to the stock like explained here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8RyW82Z2M&t=1627s

it worked...

But it's official, this is why I tried another factory-to-dd-wrt with the same effect...

So I tried to unbrick it again and nothing worked for me...

What I want to know is the only Way to get dd-wrt running on my System to open the case and soilder the serial or is it possible to manage it by using the right version?

I tried some factory-to-dd-wrt but nuthing running for me.
ccsoccer03
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 22:14    Post subject: Archer C9 v1 Running latest TP-Link Firmware Reply with quote
How stable and reliable is it to install? I've installed DD-WRT from the WRT-54G/and G2 to the Linksys e2000, So I'm familiar with the quirks of DD-WRT. I just need to know this.

This is my main router.
A.) Is it stable enough to be a daily driver?
B.) What functions does this have (that work) that stock doesn't?
C.) Why did you switch?
D.) What do you like about it that you dont stock?
DarkSides166
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I want to use it as Access Pointer without own DHCP... The Stock isn't able to disable all these Functions...
simontomi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53    Post subject: Re: Archer C9 v1 Running latest TP-Link Firmware Reply with quote
ccsoccer03 wrote:
How stable and reliable is it to install? I've installed DD-WRT from the WRT-54G/and G2 to the Linksys e2000, So I'm familiar with the quirks of DD-WRT. I just need to know this.

This is my main router.
A.) Is it stable enough to be a daily driver?
B.) What functions does this have (that work) that stock doesn't?
C.) Why did you switch?
D.) What do you like about it that you dont stock?

I went back to stock yesterday. DD-WRT was stable enough (meaning it didn't crash), but the Wi-Fi was very bad compared to stock. Range was a bit smaller, download/upload speeds were inconsistent, and I got 300 Mbps at best at the same place where the stock fw gave me 450 Mbps using 5GHz. 2.4GHz is also faster on stock (about 200 Mbps vs 120 Mbps).

Honestly, I only used the basic functions of dd-wrt and I'm not an expert, so I don't know what functions it has over the stock firmware, beyond being able to tweak a lot of settings. I switched to dd-wrt because I hoped that I could increase my wireless range by using higher TX Power and higher 5GHz channels, but none of these worked, this might be a limitation of the v2 hardware.

I liked that dd-wrt is a lot more open than the stock firmware, plus it doesn't restrict you to one login at a time. You get a ton of settings for most things, but again, I didn't tweak much of them, as I found the default settings to be perfectly fine.

I was using dd-wrt v3.0-r30949 (12/15/16), by the way.

I hope that helps Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 70, 71, 72  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 49 of 72
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: