Enabling Multicasting over WLAN

N7Kopper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 23:57    Post subject: Enabling Multicasting over WLAN Reply with quote
Looks like it's yet another first post asking for help. But not every trend can be bucked by everyone.

Anyway, I'm looking to troubleshoot a Wii homebrew application, of all things - and I pinpointed the problem to my router setup, but the Wiki is incredibly sparse about information regarding Multicasting, and as a relative rookie to DD:WRT, I thought to ask for some tips.

You see, I want to wirelessly connect a Wii (or, possibly in future, two Wiis) and a Wii U who are both running the application Devolution, so that they can play a LAN game of Mario Kart: Double Dash. Now, running a Wii U should make no difference, as the backward-compatible network output is basically identical.

Don't worry, if I was asking for hints on troubleshooting the application itself, I'd ask the relevant homebrew communities. Just WLAN (not WAN) Multicasting being enabled (either globally, or for specific IP Addresses, either one's fine, but the latter would probably be recommended)

If it helps, I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) std on a TP-LINK TL-WRB41N. Hopefully I can do something about this. My setup isn't too fancy, both systems are connected to the same, primary SSID, they're on the same subnet, their IP Addresses are indeed different (in the last number only, of course) and there are no real LAN firewalls in place between those two IP Addresses.

I'll look further into it myself later, but it's literally 1 AM. I need to sleep.
Sponsor
Manbehindthemadness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can only compare this to some experiences I have had with Apple TV's, the problem's I have had most often are related to multicast forwarding across subnets; regardless, this should shed some light on the problem:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic
N7Kopper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Manbehindthemadness wrote:
I can only compare this to some experiences I have had with Apple TV's, the problem's I have had most often are related to multicast forwarding across subnets; regardless, this should shed some light on the problem:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_IPTV_without_impact_to_LAN_and_Wireless_traffic

I'd already checked there first. That page has information on disabling multicasting on wi-fi and on specific LAN ports while enabling it on a specific LAN port. Not only that, but it's intended for use on the Internet. I need to multicast over wi-fi on the Intranet. What I need is to ensure that it's enabled on wi-fi, without necessarily disabling it on the ethernet ports, but instead on an IP basis, if possible. (for futureproofing, as not only do Ethernet adapters for Wii (U) exist, but this program is also apparently compatible with the actual native Gamecube networking hardware, which uses Ethernet) The problem I'm having isn't one of modulating traffic, it's a "thingy not working" one.

If it's a hardware thing (unlikely, but possible) then I guess I'm SoL for now.

I guess I should also add that I'm using a network setup that has a modem as a bridge that connects to the router. This shouldn't make a difference, but computers are weird, and software has bugs sometimes.
N7Kopper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
After scouring the wiki and other tutorials in scripting and things, I'm still stumped on this.

Just to keep things simple: I need LAN multicasting over wi-fi. Thanks in advance!
kuda1234
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 14:57    Post subject: Not an answer but a related problem Reply with quote
I'm also facing multicast issues over WLAN with no help available.
As this is related to the problem, I'm posting it here as well.

My setup consists of 3 netgear R7000 routers (kong 3 version 24760).
One router provides access to the internet via WLAN. The two other routers are currently configured as WLAN-Client and are each part of a robot which connects 3 internal computers (thus each router creates his own subnet). [As seen in the attached image]
The aim is to configure the systems to be a multi robot environment. The framework that was chosen for this job requires multicast (as do all other frameworks for the matter).

The task is also to connect all systems via WLAN, so that multicast can be used. It is also vital that the robots can leave the range of the access point without it resulting in undefined behavior. It would be favorable, that the routers on the robot maintain some sort of self-managed network for easy access and failure prevention.

Steps that were taken until now:
1: Use OpenVPN to create a virtual private network. Failed (TUN does not support multicast/ TAP seems inappropriate for the purpose)

Options currently left:
1: Create a hardware setup that provides the correct structure using the routers as repeater-bridge to create one single subnet (having one subnet and one DHCP/DNS should enable multicast). But the case where the robots lose connection to the main router is still unsolved. It would be nice, if the routers could have some kind of fallback network management (fallback DHCP/DNS).

2: To equip the relevant computers in the robots with an additional WLAN device that connects to an additional router to provide one subnet.

3: Use multicast routing whose documentation and how-tos are very sparse and don’t work out of the box within dd-wrt.

Any help?

Greetings
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
You need to configure Multicast with a igmpproxy.conf file.

Wan is upstream for the first router.
wifi is upstram for the other two routers.

http://wiki.ipfire.org/en/addons/igmpproxy/start
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: