Trying to block YouTube app

QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 22:57    Post subject: Trying to block YouTube app Reply with quote
I ended up using Access Restrictions to block some things on my son's TiVo, however I'm not able to block the YouTube app entirely. I've blocked all the domains I can find that are associated with YouTube, and it slows down the app and blocks some videos but it still works to a degree.

Is there some way to see what domains or IP addresses the app is using on the network? If I knew exactly what it was connecting to I should be able to block it, but right now I'm blind.
Sponsor
themitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wireshark
N7Kopper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
themitch wrote:
Wireshark

To be a little more specific, sniff the TiVo's IP Address with Wireshark, and then have it access YouTube. This should help you see what you need.
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
next public build will be available soon... there were nDPI protocols updates in http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4080#comment:1

So, you will be able to block youtube even when it uses https (ssl protocol - encrypted traffic between client and web server)... about nDPI read here http://www.ntop.org/products/deep-packet-inspection/ndpi/

the problem was layer7 patterns that ddwrt were using and wich were outdated...
QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
N7Kopper wrote:
themitch wrote:
Wireshark

To be a little more specific, sniff the TiVo's IP Address with Wireshark, and then have it access YouTube. This should help you see what you need.

Well as it turns out it's not that simple. In the switch methodology of ethernet networks used today, I can't capture the traffic going to the TiVo since I can't run Wireshark on the TiVo itself. I need a way to see the traffic that would otherwise be routed around my PC. So I've ordered an old hub on eBay and hopefully that will allow me to see the traffic I need to block.

I still can't seem to find a simple example of the command I will need to use to block an IP for just one local IP or MAC address on the network though. Can anyone give an example of how to do that? (I don't want to block YouTube for the whole network, just for the TiVo device.)
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
can i ask as to why u want to block youtube? is it the youtube app on a smartphone/tablet? or youtube in general in any shape & form on any platform? is it one person u want to block youtube to or multiple people? kids? leachers?

or would u want to slow youtube traffic down but not actually BLOCK it?

trying to understand ur situation

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

QuadraQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
can i ask as to why u want to block youtube? is it the youtube app on a smartphone/tablet? or youtube in general in any shape & form on any platform? is it one person u want to block youtube to or multiple people? kids? leachers?

or would u want to slow youtube traffic down but not actually BLOCK it?

trying to understand ur situation

I think I stated it pretty clearly in my first post, but to clarify, I'm trying to block access to youtube for a specific device (thus the request for a way to limit the IP blocking to a specific IP or MAC address), not the whole home network. In this case that device is a TiVo in my son's bedroom which has a youtube app built in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: