E2500 V3 Revert to Linksys?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 15:44    Post subject: E2500 V3 Revert to Linksys? Reply with quote
I have an E2500 v3 that is running firmware 01/04/15 Big. I understand that the E2500 v3 needs k3x nv60 firmware.

In order to try to troubleshoot a network issue, I tried to revert the firmware to Linksys. It did not work. I did some further research and the suggestion was that you cannot revert using the webgui, you have to use tftp.exe. Tried that, and still ended up with the same firmware (not a browser issue). So I did some further research, and decided to try tomato even though I was taking a risk and flashing from dd-wrt to tomato. I did a factory reset, and tried to tftp tomato for the E2500 v3. It also did not flash and I still had the same dd-wrt big firmware.

Given that the wiki talks about reverting by tftp, and I have not found that this works at all, I decided to start a thread to open up discussion on this. Anyone with any thoughts, please contribute.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to check twice to make sure that it was actually you who was asking for input.
You probably did but after holding reset and powering up till ttl=100, did you try to open the browser to see it has a management mode?
I know some linksys units do.

I've also had success sometimes with tftpd32 when tftp.exe didn't work even though you probably used cli.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This E2500 v3 is an "unsupported device" based on a Fractal build. There are issues.

No matter what I do to upgrade, using tftp or the webgui, I cannot install another firmware. I also cannot get the router to go to ttl=100 by "normal means" of a reset. Only ttl=64.

However, if I telnet in, and do an erase nvram command, when I have tftp.exe running, I can get the firmware (either tomato or linksys) to partially flash. However, it will not fully flash and I then I get a soft brick. Only ttl=100 and no way to access it with the webgui (with a static IP) or any other means that I can figure out. In fact, it is very hard to get it out of ttl=100. Power light flashes. I have to do a 30-30-30 reset with all cables unplugged, and then when I go from power off to the third 30 reset, the light stays out for the full 30 seconds, and I am back to dd-wrt firmware.

I know I can fix this with serial, but am looking for another way.

I read that if I telnet in and erase nvram and erase linux I can get into recovery mode, but I don't want to attempt that extreme just yet.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay. Got it. This is a little dangerous as it involves deleting all firmware from your router. The instructions are here:

http://charlietree.com/bricked-e2500-cisco-wireless-router-fixed/

Basically, you need to telnet into the router with dd-wrt on it from a command prompt

telnet 192.168.1.1

You need to enter root for your name and then the password you set for your router.

Then I issued these commands in telnet in this order:

erase linux
erase nvram
reboot

That took me to the management mode screen where I could upload stock linksys firmware.

This took me about three hours to get sorted. Will link to this in the wiki.

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turns out you did have to go to that extreme.
Better than serial though.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Turns out you did have to go to that extreme.
Better than serial though.

I've saved many linksys router that way and a few netgear (my netgear boxes don't have management mode but have TFTP access after). It's always a bit scary when I do it but it has never failed.
If you can connect you can save them Smile
MaDc0w
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kudos to the Gurus!

That was starting to drive me nuts.

github.com/MaDc0wUSP
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: