Experience with Tomato (shibby) vs dd-wrt?

mrt2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 15:41    Post subject: Experience with Tomato (shibby) vs dd-wrt? Reply with quote
So I used dd-wrt for years with my Linksys router however I ended up replacing it (finally) with an N66U but was feeling lazy and didn't throw dd-wrt on it. Now it's time to throw a new firmware on it to gain some features and overall stability that's not there in stock. With that, I got to thinking of trying something new...

I'm familiar with the dd-wrt community as it's large and always helpful but I don't know of any tomato community sites that's similar (is there one for tomato?) so I figured I'd ask here if any of you guys had experience with Tomatoe, and what are your likes/dislikes vs dd-wrt? Specifically I was going to give advanced Tomato a try... any thoughts?

Last edited by mrt2 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 23:37; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
First thing, make SURE you don't flash directly from dd-wrt to tomato. There are incompatible nvram variables that can brick your router. Tomato doesn't do bridging (Client Bridge, Repeater Bridge, Repeater, Client) last time I checked.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mrt2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
First thing, make SURE you don't flash directly from dd-wrt to tomato. There are incompatible nvram variables that can brick your router. Tomato doesn't do bridging (Client Bridge, Repeater Bridge, Repeater, Client) last time I checked.

Thanks Smile I definitely didn't plan on making that mistake. I knew there are nvram issues with different firmwares etc...
Joe Sixpack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
not to be taken as the gospel but I've cross flashed routers quite a few times, checking the CLEAR NVRAM box seems to do the trick more often then not.
If you're flashing via TFTP however probably a good idea to clear NVRAM / hard reset.

I haven't tried advance tomato.. infact first im hearing of it.

But it looks like it's based off shibby releases and look pretty close to it config wise.. layout is the largest change it looks like from pictures.

I've not sat down and compared dd-wrt and tomato side by side, but I usually prefer shibby flavor tomato my self.

I find the UI and layout to be easier to use and setup.
It seems like Tomato has more features.

With that said dd-wrt seems a bit more polished, Tomato is a tad more buggy, dd-wrt could easily double as a stock firmware.. it may not have the bells of tomato but what it does it does well.

DD-wrt also (and again I've not sat down and compared) appears to offer more options for tweaking protocol (a lot of which I'd need google to figure out)

So my preference is Tomato for general home use, If I had clients I'd probably steer them toward dd-wrt unless it couldn't do something they needed, and if I was attempting a long point-to-point connection I think DD-WRT would probably get the nod.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Joe Sixpack wrote:
not to be taken as the gospel but I've cross flashed routers quite a few times, checking the CLEAR NVRAM box seems to do the trick more often then not.

BUT, WHEN it doesn't work, and it sometimes does not, you will need a serial cable to fix it, and have to solder into the router. It is a bad practice to flash directly from one third party firmware to another.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Joe Sixpack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Joe Sixpack wrote:

BUT, WHEN it doesn't work, and it sometimes does not, you will need a serial cable to fix it, and have to solder into the router. It is a bad practice to flash directly from one third party firmware to another.

Hmm.. never had it brick that bad cross flashing but Im sure it has happen.

so what do you do? flash back to stock first?
How's that any better?

I know just recently dealing with the wrt310n had to flash to dd-wrt first to get off stock.
Turns out they tagged the firms with a 310n header.. so unless you broke out the hex editor you had to flash dd-wrt mini build with the header first to get to tomato.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
tomato for broadcom, ddwrt for the rest. tomato does client modes fine, at least the victek/shibby/toastman does, they are also the better ones to use. the "orignal" tomatoUSB is old & abandoned

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mrt2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
tomato for broadcom, ddwrt for the rest. tomato does client modes fine, at least the victek/shibby/toastman does, they are also the better ones to use. the "orignal" tomatoUSB is old & abandoned

So you'd recommend tomato for a broadcom based chipset? Sorry for the super late reply, been out of commission due to work for a few weeks. I'm rocking an Asus N66U which is broadcom based so it might be worth a try I guess. I've only just used dd-wrt so I figured it would be nice to have a chance but I didn't want to switch to something if it was just awful to use.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
My experience on Tomato Shibby is on RT-N12 D1 and WNR3500L v2. Both are running Shibby K26RT-N, as you can see Shibby is using K26, if that matters to you. There is a wiki on Tomato, check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_%28firmware%29

Shibby is stable so far for both routers, RT-N12 is running 24/7 for over half a year now and no reboot is needed so for. WNR3500L v2 is used as openvpn client so it will be powered up when needed otherwise it is power off so I can't comment much on reliability. However it is working well when powered up.

One problem I faced when flashing Shibby on RT-N12 D1 is password trouble. Check this thread: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/upgrade-from-dd-wrt-firmware-password-troubles.28627/ However, I can't recall how I fixed the problem. Anyway, Asus provides firmware recovery utility and the router has a Broadcom CFE mini web server, which makes it easy to recover the router in case it is bricked.

The reason for using Shibby instead of dd-wrt for the two routers is that dd-wrt for RT-N12 D1 is not very stable and router needed to be rebooted after working for a few days. As for WNR3500L v2, this router is not supported by dd-wrt. BTW, I want to add that when I was trying dd-wrt on RT-N12 D1, I was using a quite old build and since I already gave the router to my friend so I can't try newer builds on dd-wrt now.
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funny thing, I just switched back after using Shibby's TomatoUSB on my E1500 for a couple of months. I really liked it, very polished and a lot of features. QOS is its claim to fame but I found it too complicated. What made me return to DD-WRT is the speed. Shibby's Tomato worked fine but just seemed boggy for whatever reason. DD-WRT is nice and zippy with a good build. Setting up DD-WRT with things like a guest network can seem odd and indirect by comparison. But, once you have it dialed in it's golden!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree about the speed or top speed. It just doesn't seem to be there with tomato. There is that 'boggy feeling' although very stable. I'm still running two Shibby Tomato E2500 openvpn site/site TAP without a problem. They have been up for months. Using a E1200v2 shibby tomato here that is connected in with them plus I'm running a guest network off it also. Recently put a fairly new Shibby (tomato-K26-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-128-Max.bin) on the WRT54GSv2 and it was terrible ... really just too big for that router. I had only a few bytes left in NVRAM after setup as my main router. It would drop wireless for a minute doing any (local) speedtest. The mini version on the WRT54Gsv2 is very stable but speed is exactly 1/2 what I can get from newer build of dd-wrt. I do love the Shibby tomato on the E2500 --- openvpn is easy and very stable and of cousre if you want the 5GHz radio on the E2500 you have to use Tomato or factory firmware .... funny thing is I have all USB (what runs 5GHz radio on E2500) disabled on the VPN routers -- don't really need it and takes a load off the CPU. Shibby runs well - both radios on the E2500 and not much difference in dd-wrt --- but for a router like the E1200v2 tomato is the better choice for wireless stability -- e1200v2 is a little different box though Smile -- it's really a pain w/dd-wrt but newer builds seem to do ok on it.
Between the two firmware it really depends on what you want to do with your router and what router you have --- if you have a broadcom device and want to use it as an access point plus restricted guest network then dd-wrt is the only and best way to go.
'bout all I know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: