R8000 development

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
aveerlapati
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:20    Post subject: Its not much better with this update Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Well, here we have some "progress" Rolling Eyes. I've flashed 2016-07-04 3.0 30100M.bin and it's been up for three days and a half, until later today when it crashed, but it didn't actually restart like it always have.

What happened is that the WPS light stayed on, 1 LAN light was on too and another orange light also (can't see from down here; it's in the ceiling), but the wireless was off and there was no internet. I've left it in that state for more that 15 minutes to see what would happen and it did actually nothing, so I was afraid that the router was bricked again and that I would have to use my previous mod to TTL it back to life again... Shocked

I manually restarted it by turning off/on and it booted. It's been running so far (for 8 hours), but this is a new type of crash that never happened before this build; so far it always restarted once or more per day.

Kong, do you have any idea what's going on? Should I keep on trying the newer versions that you upload to your FTP often? I have them all downloaded in my disk.

Thanks.

Hey timmy

i have upgraded to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r30600M kongac (09/09/16) this version also has random reboots but very less compared to pervious versions i hope this helps u.
Sponsor
Sydney888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:28    Post subject: No reboot after 5 days after turning off IPv6 Reply with quote
Running 30430...
Had reboot at least once every 24 hours...

None since disabling IPv6...

Simple config...
No USB, DHCPV4 for initernet
No vlans
Roy2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am tired of R8000 and sold it. "Downgraded" to AC68U and happy with it.
Sydney888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:49    Post subject: still crashing with DD-WRT v3.0-r30965M kongac (12/21/16) Reply with quote
Random crashes still happening...

- already did nvram erase and factory defaults
- IPv6 disabled
-XPTO-
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:23    Post subject: Re: still crashing with DD-WRT v3.0-r30965M kongac (12/21/16 Reply with quote
Sydney888 wrote:

- IPv6 disabled

My R8000 has been very stable with Kong's latest few versions. I have had an uptime of 7 days before a crash with the 31060M and that with an overclock of 1400MHz. Currently, on 31085M v2, with DNSSEC and DNSCrypt active it has been up for a couple of days already.
CThomas335
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 17:52    Post subject: R8000 Kong r29300 --> kong r31135 Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me if there is
an issue with the OPENVPN client in
the new build:
DD-WRT v3.0-r31135M kongac (01/14/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.42 #216 SMP Sat Jan 14 01:08:00 CET 2017 armv7l

I might need to revert to r29300.

Thanks!

X6 R8000
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 21:08    Post subject: Re: R8000 Kong r29300 --> kong r31135 Reply with quote
CThomas335 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if there is
an issue with the OPENVPN client in
the new build:
DD-WRT v3.0-r31135M kongac (01/14/17)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.42 #216 SMP Sat Jan 14 01:08:00 CET 2017 armv7l

I might need to revert to r29300.

Thanks!

X6 R8000

No issues. I suspect you are using a custom cinfig with invalid params. Latest builds come with Openvpn 2.4.

29300 should not be used on R8000/R8500 units.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 22:04    Post subject: R8000 Kong r29300 --> kong r31135 Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. My R8000 came with your r29300 from Flashrouters I purchased in May 2016. Ran pretty good, but I figured I would jump to a newer build, looking for an increase in throughput in openvpn. After flash to 31135, everything but the openvpn client worked, it was suggested that I erase nvram and reboot. I am now working to reconfigure, but I have lost the LAN ports after the nvram erase. I thought I knew what I was doing after all this time, but I'm missing something.
Ubiquiti ER-4
Bridge Creek, Oklahoma
CThomas335
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I apologize, my LAN ports ARE still accessible. Unbelievably, my ethernet adapter on my laptop just crapped out. Hopefully I can get everything running in a timely manner wirelessly. Kong, we all appreciate you. As soon as I'm stable again, another donation coming at you. Wish I could do what you do.
Ubiquiti ER-4
Bridge Creek, Oklahoma
Sydney888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 0:57    Post subject: Re: still crashing with DD-WRT v3.0-r30965M kongac (12/21/16 Reply with quote
-XPTO- wrote:
Sydney888 wrote:

- IPv6 disabled

My R8000 has been very stable with Kong's latest few versions. I have had an uptime of 7 days before a crash with the 31060M and that with an overclock of 1400MHz. Currently, on 31085M v2, with DNSSEC and DNSCrypt active it has been up for a couple of days already.

Thanks for the suggestion.
5+ days of uptime with r31100M...
Timmy1024
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 19:03    Post subject: R8000 Keeps Crashing Reply with quote
Hi Kong,

It's been a while since I last update my R8000 (was in 30465) because I pretty much gave up with all the daily random reboots, troubleshooting them for more than 1 year since I bought it, without any improving.

Now I flashed 31050, to see if this "new year" improved something. Not only the router keeps crashing the same as usual, but the wireless from the 5.0 adapters are not showing in my devices where I was regularly using them, because of an extremely low strength. I've tried putting the TX Power to the max (just to see) and they still wouldn't show.

This is pretty reproducible every time. If I flash the previous version I had (30465), the signal strength is back and it starts showing OK on the clients. If I flash to 31050 or above, they dissapear because of the low strength.

Would you please let me know if these problems would be possible to fix or I just should throw the router away and give up? I've bought this because it was the greatest router at the time that I could afford and that would support DD-WRT, but never once has it worked reliable for me because of the random reboots and other issues that I've been posting since I've registered here.

Thanks again.

EDIT: The wireless strength being useless was because flashing these new firmware disabled some of the 5.0 channels that were previously available, so they reconfigured to "Auto", using the worst, invalid channels possible. I'd have to reconfigured all my wireless radios to use the new available channels as would be best for them. I don't know why the channels in the latest versions have changed (again, if I went back to 30465, I got those channels back).

In any case, the random crashes/restarts through the day still happens. Kong, you've told us to get a crash dump, and I've tried running a log server, but the R8000 crashes and doesn't write anything to that log before doing it. Is there any other way to retrieve a full crash dump? I have serial access to it after the mod I've made, so that would be a viable option
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 20:14    Post subject: Re: R8000 Keeps Crashing Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Hi Kong,

It's been a while since I last update my R8000 (was in 30465) because I pretty much gave up with all the daily random reboots, troubleshooting them for more than 1 year since I bought it, without any improving.

Now I flashed 31050, to see if this "new year" improved something. Not only the router keeps crashing the same as usual, but the wireless from the 5.0 adapters are not showing in my devices where I was regularly using them, because of an extremely low strength. I've tried putting the TX Power to the max (just to see) and they still wouldn't show.

This is pretty reproducible every time. If I flash the previous version I had (30465), the signal strength is back and it starts showing OK on the clients. If I flash to 31050 or above, they dissapear because of the low strength.

Would you please let me know if these problems would be possible to fix or I just should throw the router away and give up? I've bought this because it was the greatest router at the time that I could afford and that would support DD-WRT, but never once has it worked reliable for me because of the random reboots and other issues that I've been posting since I've registered here.

Thanks again.

EDIT: The wireless strength being useless was because flashing these new firmware disabled some of the 5.0 channels that were previously available, so they reconfigured to "Auto", using the worst, invalid channels possible. I'd have to reconfigured all my wireless radios to use the new available channels as would be best for them. I don't know why the channels in the latest versions have changed (again, if I went back to 30465, I got those channels back).

In any case, the random crashes/restarts through the day still happens. Kong, you've told us to get a crash dump, and I've tried running a log server, but the R8000 crashes and doesn't write anything to that log before doing it. Is there any other way to retrieve a full crash dump? I have serial access to it after the mod I've made, so that would be a viable option

The channels difference comes from updated driver and radio firmware. If you see no crashdump, then it is possible you have a hw issue, e.g. defective power supply or router.

Remember even if it does not crash with stock in your setup it could still be a defective power supply as some tasks will draw more power in dd-wrt e.g. without hw nat routing consumes more cpu power, also mem utilization might be different and therefore have different behavior.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your promptly reply Kong.

I didn't see any error specifically tied to the restart on the syslog server (before the router crashes). Maybe because it doesn't get a chance to write to it before? Is it possible to access a more complete crashdump via serial or something?

I don't think the problem is with my particular HW. As you can see, several other guys reports that their R8000 crash daily too. I'm also not using any fancy features that put a load on the CPU (no QoS, VPN, etc; just plain out of the box installation)

If you can, please let me know what else can we try or how to be able to check the reason why it crashes. I remember a while ago you wrote somewhere that it'd be possible to check that with serial access, so I'm willing to help as far as I can to discover it.

Thanks again
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timmy1024 wrote:
Thanks for your promptly reply Kong.

I didn't see any error specifically tied to the restart on the syslog server (before the router crashes). Maybe because it doesn't get a chance to write to it before? Is it possible to access a more complete crashdump via serial or something?

I don't think the problem is with my particular HW. As you can see, several other guys reports that their R8000 crash daily too. I'm also not using any fancy features that put a load on the CPU (no QoS, VPN, etc; just plain out of the box installation)

If you can, please let me know what else can we try or how to be able to check the reason why it crashes. I remember a while ago you wrote somewhere that it'd be possible to check that with serial access, so I'm willing to help as far as I can to discover it.

Thanks again

Two builds ago the radio firmware was updated and the last build comes with new dhd driver, thus the previous reports do not really count anymore. So far I have not seen any crashdump with the latest builds.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 31135 or 31160 is the one that introduced the new drivers?

I'll flash it to test and reconfigure the WiFi channels. Is there a way I can get the crashdump from the serial connection to share with you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 26 of 30
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: