E3000, ok to not reset on updates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 23:05    Post subject: E3000, ok to not reset on updates? Reply with quote
I try to keep up with the beta K3X builds, is it ok if I do not reset the settings after a flash, or do the 30-30-30?
Sponsor
SimulationMan32
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is at your own risk. I just did an update on an E4200 (Similar to E3000) yesterday. I did it over wireless and without any reset and it bricked. Bad.

Was able to recover but not before a big headache.

So flashing without reset is at your own risk. It should be fine for a couple upgrades, but then you should definitely reset after 2-3 times.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. It's not okay with that router. How you reset is router dependent, but in the past failing to do a proper reset was the number one reason that people bricked their routers. The problem is that sometimes your router doesn't brick.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
No. It's not okay with that router. How you reset is router dependent, but in the past failing to do a proper reset was the number one reason that people bricked their routers. The problem is that sometimes your router doesn't brick.

Proper reset? Is that the 30-30-30?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
e3000usr wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

THAT is the part that depends on the router. With an e3000 30-30-30 works and doesn't brick it. With newer ea series routers, you have to be careful not to delete the extra partition. You will know you have done a proper reset if you get the dd-wrt re-enter username and password page when you login.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
e3000usr wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

THAT is the part that depends on the router. With an e3000 30-30-30 works and doesn't brick it. With newer ea series routers, you have to be careful not to delete the extra partition. You will know you have done a proper reset if you get the dd-wrt re-enter username and password page when you login.

Thanks! How about an E3200? Do I also need to reset it after flashing and do a 30-30-30?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is more important to reset it before flashing than it is after, and I do not have a 3200 so I do not know what is best for that router.
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
It is more important to reset it before flashing than it is after, and I do not have a 3200 so I do not know what is best for that router.

I must have been lucky then. I flash mostly an E3200 now, and the last 6 months I regularly update, never once reset before flashing. Only reset after.

It is annoying to have to configure everything all over again after each flash, wish I could not have to reset after a flash. It's my only router and dont want to brick it. My E3000 is bricked from months ago not sure what I did to that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: