DD-WRT with TL-WR841N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03    Post subject: DD-WRT with TL-WR841N Reply with quote
For version 9.2 of this router, there is no mention of it in 'router database'. So I selected the one for Revision 8.x.

Then on the next page, I clicked on 'Other Downloads'.
On next page, I clicked on folder 2014 and NOT on 'moved_to_root_dir_betas'.
Next I selected directory - 12-22-2014-r25697
Now I saw - tplink_tl-wr841ndv9 and clicking on this led me to the files to download page.

Question -
Is the above process the right way to get the dd-wrt firmware?

Is it possible that the firmware that I was led to by the above process is a proper working firmware version. I ask because version 9.2 of router does not appear in 'router database'?

Thanks,
Sponsor
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Forget about the Router Database. Old info.
Your router is listed here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
and the latest DD-WRT builds are located here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for the information.

since the download folder you suggested is beta, I was wondering how to find if the build is stable or if it needs patches. please let me know.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I've been replying to the same question like twice daily. DD-WRT is in beta stage, always has been. So don't get hung up on it, ok ? Just use it.

Last edited by KrypteX on Wed Jun 24, 2015 18:56; edited 1 time in total
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can certainly understand the frustration of having to repeat oneself twice a day to newcomers.

My comment was based on the following statement:
"Download known to flash well builds from the Router-Database - some Firmwares are only available on other-downloads"

which is on the wiki url:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

So, I blame the wiki for this Very Happy
numerci
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I have the same router and I have used the firmware for the ND version without problems. Currently I am using the 27378 where I have only one problem... the NTP client is not working therefore the hour on the router is wrong. Otherwise I had no problems.
Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Release r27396 works fine here.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you everyone. Those comments definitely put me at ease about using beta firmware.

On a side note - Why are people then not using the latest version - r27435? or upgrading to latest version?
Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
nkaufman wrote:
Thank you everyone. Those comments definitely put me at ease about using beta firmware.

On a side note - Why are people then not using the latest version - r27435? or upgrading to latest version?

maybe it has some bugs... users experienced problems with r27413 wifi,site survey,disconnects..
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been looking at the installation link and going over Peacock thread and was wondering if there was a simpler installation instruction for routers that are being installed for dd-wrt for the first time.

Please let me know. Thanks
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Jack82"]maybe it has some bugs... users experienced problems with r27413 wifi,site survey,disconnects..[/quote]

If so, then I wonder why our Guru - KrypteX - would recommend using the latest firmware. Perhaps he means that the latest version has removed all the kinks.

KrypteX - please comment if possible. also, just to be clear, am not questioning you or anything here. just trying to get more information about the latest versions and possible kinks.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
nkaufman wrote:
I wonder why our Guru - KrypteX - would recommend using the latest firmware. Perhaps he means that the latest version has removed all the kinks.

I didn't recommend latest 27435 in this thread. If I did, please link me to it.
I still recommend 27396.

nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="KrypteX"][quote="nkaufman"]I wonder why our Guru - KrypteX - would recommend using the latest firmware. Perhaps he means that the latest version has removed all the kinks.[/quote]
I didn't recommend latest 27435 in this thread. If I did, please link me to it.
I still recommend 27396.[/quote]

Oh ok. You had not mentioned anything about 27396 in your earlier post in this thread and hence I was looking at the latest builds. But am glad everything is now clear and I will use build 27396 for my router.

Now if only one of the Gurus (or a follower Very Happy) could point me to the installation steps on a brand new router, that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate that.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
WR841ND v9 has DD-WRT support since 24118: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

First of all, flash factory-to-ddwrt.bin file of build 24118, from the current TP-Link Factory firmware: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/05-23-2014-r24118/tplink_tl-wr841ndv9/
Do it via cable, from Firefox.

Wait at last 3 minutes after that. Then, Restore to Factory Defaults, wait at least 3 minutes.

Then update from ddwrt 24118 to ddwrt 27396, use webflash file from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/06-20-2015-r27396/tplink_tl-wr841ndv9/

Good luck and please report back to the 27396 thread here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283778

nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX - Thank you. Will follow the instructions and post to that thread.

Was wondering if you have any experience setting up router for Fios. I have the following post open but no response yet. Have included some pictures in there as well.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283885

thanks again for your assistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: