What characters are NOT allowed in Admin passwords?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions
lagrangersf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 15:47    Post subject: What characters are NOT allowed in Admin passwords? Reply with quote
When changing the admin username and password from the default root/admin, are there any special characters other than spaces that are not allowed to be used in the new password? I ask because I tried changing the password after doing a 30-30-30, and although it seemed to accept the new password just fine, it absolutely will not let me login with it. I have confirmed multiple times that I am entering the password correctly, even going as far as typing it into Notepad then using copy-paste, but it still won't let me login with the new password after changing it.

I used a random password generator program to create the password. Some of the special characters currently being used in it are % $ ' and &. The password does not contain spaces and is less than 32 characters long, both requirements dictated by the FAQ. The FAQ does not mention any restrictions on other characters, but the fact that I cannot log in with the new password suggests there has to be one or more characters it's not liking or is resulting in the password being truncated when stored in the configuration.

I'm currently running build 26138 on a Netgear WNDR4500v2 with plans to upgrade (downgrade?) to Kong 25015-SP1 as recommended by the wiki. However, I imagine this question could apply to any build on any hardware.

Thank you.

Moderator note 04.23.2021: See https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328775
Sponsor
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: