Asus RT-N18u Installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JoyEnergiser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:54    Post subject: Asus RT-N18u Installation Reply with quote
Hi Everyone! I am totally new to DD-WRT and am about to install it on my new router.

I Was going through the installation Wiki and have heeded the stern warnings on following the instructions very strictly to avoid bricking the router.

The problem is there is no installation guide for the RT-N18u only for the RT-N16.

I am under the impression that the RT-N18u is a new model replacing the RT-N16.Is it safe to follow the installation instructions for flashing the firmware of the RT-N16 ?

Thanks!
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
All you should have to do with your RT-n18u is flash a firmware from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

And then flash the .TRX file using the firmware restoration utility for your asus router. Looks to me like it almost has the exact same specs as an ac68u, just without a 5ghz radio and a single core version of bcm4708 in the ac68u.

Personally, i just flashed the .TRX of my ac68u in the GUI upgrade page, but if you want to be on the safe side, flash it through recovery mode. Currently using beta 27413 and no issues.
jaska22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
All you should have to do with your RT-n18u is flash a firmware from here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/

And then flash the .TRX file using the firmware restoration utility for your asus router. Looks to me like it almost has the exact same specs as an ac68u, just without a 5ghz radio and a single core version of bcm4708 in the ac68u.

Personally, i just flashed the .TRX of my ac68u in the GUI upgrade page, but if you want to be on the safe side, flash it through recovery mode. Currently using beta 27413 and no issues.

Hi! I'm sorry for quoting whole post. How'd you flash ddwrt for the first time? I'm unable to flash it via restoration utility. It keeps disconnecting and then fails at 37%.
umjumasa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 20:52    Post subject: flashing rt-n18u first time Reply with quote
Hi,

Finally, did you manage to flash the ddwrt firmware into the rt-n18u ? I am finding similar issues as described above, when I try to install the firmware from the web GUI the process just stops and never finish. The ddwrt firmware is not installed and the router remains with the original ASUS firmware.

Thank you.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try using the firmware restoration utility or power on the router while holding on the reset button. When the power light flashes and your ping responses are ttl=100, let go of the reset button, open your browser at 192.168.1.1 and upload the dd-wrt firmware through the the mini webserver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try using the firmware restoration utility or power on the router while holding on the reset button. When the power light flashes and your ping responses are ttl=100, let go of the reset button, open your browser at 192.168.1.1 and upload the dd-wrt firmware through the the mini webserver

Thank you very much for the answer. I will try the procedure mentioned above, on the other hand, should I go straight to install the latest ddwrt firmware version found,eg, at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-25-2015-r27745/asus-rt-n18u/ or is there an specific initial ddwrt firmware version for the first time installation and then update to a newer firmware version from that point?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like that's it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:55    Post subject: Build 33555 available Reply with quote
umjumasa wrote:
Thank you very much for the answer. I will try the procedure mentioned above, on the other hand, should I go straight to install the latest ddwrt firmware version found,eg, at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-25-2015-r27745/asus-rt-n18u/ or is there an specific initial ddwrt firmware version for the first time installation and then update to a newer firmware version from that point?

New BS build available : DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 (10/20/17)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311800

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: