tftp recover "transfer successful" then nothing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mc510
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 14:51    Post subject: tftp recover "transfer successful" then nothing Reply with quote
Had Brainslayer 14929 V24_nokaid_std_generic on WNDR3300 with some issues, so decided to try an upgrade to 24461 mini (reported good). Web gui reported "upgrade failed," power light blinking slowly.

I can ping it at 192.168.1.1, get TTL=100 response.

Tried tftp, started as soon as router began responding to pings after restart. After 3 or 4 seconds tftp reports transfer successful, but router never responds. When using the initial trailed build chk, the power light goes out after tftp flash, stops responding to pings, and stays that way. With other bin files (I tried a bunch) the power light never goes out, it continues to flash and router continues to respond to ping, but never fully recovers.

Netgear Firmware Recover Utility runs all the way through and then reports a failure after 20 minutes.

Draytek router_tools doesn't work either. Reports success at transferring file, but then reports unable to get a response from router.

Is there anything else I can try, short of serial TTL or pin short (and would those even be helpful in my case)?

thanks!

Last edited by mc510 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 18:28; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
mc510
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: have seen reference to fiddling with reset button while connecting to power ("management mode"). No luck with this either.

Confused about this point. tftp is reporting successful transfer, but nothing happens. Am I actually NOT getting a successful tftp transfer (and so need to keep trying different ways of doing it), or is the router just not able to successfully process/flash install the transferred file?

Next step, I guess, is to try the tftp process on linux.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something you can try, probably won't help but... When it's already running, hold the reset button for 30 seconds to see if the LEDs show a nvram reset. Also, have you tried TFTP'ing the OEM firmware, then updating through the GUI?
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check the maximum build size for your router. It is in the peacock announcement. See also note 6 of the peacock.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mc510
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried tftp in Ubuntu, same result.

jwh7 wrote:
Something you can try, probably won't help but... When it's already running, hold the reset button for 30 seconds to see if the LEDs show a nvram reset. Also, have you tried TFTP'ing the OEM firmware, then updating through the GUI?
I've tried everything in the world with that reset button! Just did your 30 second suggestion, no joy. Yes, I've tried tftp'ing the OEM firmware, the initial DD-WRT trailed build firmware, many different DD-WRT bins of different builds and sizes. Consistently same result (viz., nothing).

Murrkf wrote:
Check the maximum build size for your router. It is in the peacock announcement. See also note 6 of the peacock.
Max build size for this router is said to be 3.7M, but builds I've been tftp-ing are right at 3M or less. Everything I've tried is from Note 6; don't see anything else in there to try (short of serial mod). Every time I read Note 6 I see that it says that if you get TTL=100 that you should be able to restore by tftp. But sometimes not; maybe that's where I am?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a wndr3400 in the same condition. I could tftp he firmware using serial and tftpd but after rebooting it would go back to ttl=100.
Used jtag to erase wholeflash, flashed the cf, uploaded the fw, same result.
Threw it away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem with WNR3500 v2, no matter how many times I TFTP firmware router will always ask for more Smile
Try firmware that was on your router before or older firmware. It will work.

Unsupported firmware will cause this.
mc510
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
DinamoXP wrote:
I had the same problem with WNR3500 v2, no matter how many times I TFTP firmware router will always ask for more Smile Try firmware that was on your router before or older firmware. It will work. Unsupported firmware will cause this.

Have tried every firmware that was ever on this router. Oddly, the power light/ping respond differently to different firmwares. On some, ping continues to reply TTL=100 and the light continues to blink after tftp. Others, ping stops responding and the power light goes off after tftp transfer. Still others, ping stops responding and power light goes to continuous. But the one consistent thing is that when I reboot, the power light resumes blinking and I get TTL=100.

Malachi wrote:
I had a wndr3400 in the same condition. I could tftp he firmware using serial and tftpd but after rebooting it would go back to ttl=100. Used jtag to erase wholeflash, flashed the cf, uploaded the fw, same result. Threw it away.

My next move is to try serial flash (only because I found a $1.30 cable at aliexpress.com and I'm curious to try this technique). Then I'll try pin short. Then I'll throw it in the trash. Sad

Last edited by mc510 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 22:34; edited 3 times in total
DinamoXP
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is weird, well read this post if you are going with serial, I posted some RPI diagrams (if you have one) and there might be some other info that you might find useful.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=286838

Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: