WRT54GL on newer DD-WRT v3.0 builds (r27490+) K2.4 and K2.6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:18    Post subject: WRT54GL on newer DD-WRT v3.0 builds (r27490+) K2.4 and K2.6 Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
I got this build [27490] running yesterday on a WRT54GL v1.1 (./broadcom/ dir) that had been on OpenWRT (donated from a friend). TFTP'd via Serial CFE break to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin, then set password, reset defaults, update via GUI to dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin, set password, reset defaults, set password, set up incl. clkfreq to 250...and good to go. Kernel 2.4.x (not on it now to post the specifics); tested WiFi and LAN as gateway...no issues.

Wow, this will be music to the ears of a friend of mine. He still uses an old Tomato on his WRT54GL v1.1
Can you give more details on how you performed this first step: TFTP'd via Serial CFE break to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin ? I'm not familiar with this unit...

Do you know if it's possible to use the K2.6 version for this router, have you tried it ? Asking due to this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL#Running_NEWD2_and.2For_K26_on_the_GL_model

Last edited by KrypteX on Fri Jul 10, 2015 14:23; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:
jwh7 wrote:
I got this build running yesterday on a WRT54GL v1.1 (./broadcom/ dir) that had been on OpenWRT (donated from a friend). TFTP'd via Serial CFE break to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin, then set password, reset defaults, update via GUI to dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin, set password, reset defaults, set password, set up incl. clkfreq to 250...and good to go. Kernel 2.4.x (not on it now to post the specifics); tested WiFi and LAN as gateway...no issues.
Wow, this will be music to the ears of a friend of mine. He still uses an old Tomato on his WRT54GL v1.1

Surely I'm not the only one to put a recent build on a WRT54G/GL/GS?! Smile I also have it on a GS v6 (runs the micro build).
KrypteX wrote:
Can you give more details on how you performed this first step: TFTP'd via Serial CFE break to dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin ? I'm not familiar with this unit...
That was in reference to my friend running a GUI-less OpenWRT build on it, so I had to TFTP. But it wouldn't work at boot up; once, the very first try, I got a TTL=100 ping reply; any other try yielded zilch (and yes, boot_wait was on, boot_time 10sec). It already had a serial->USB PL2303 so I used picocom (Linux netbook) to break the CFE at power-up (rapidly ctrl-C when plugging in), then ran 'nvram erase', then 'flash -ctheader : flash1.trx', then the TFTP worked a-ok (I just used the cmd line version in Win10; driver didn't support my pl2303 revision) with the trailed build (dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin), let it be for a while, then ran 'go' and it booted, then I had a dd-wrt GUI. Ref: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery#Serial_Commands
Then I set the password, reset defaults, set password, updated to the VPN build via GUI (w/o selecting to reset default w/ the update since the update never works for me w/ it).

That said, you should be able to use the trailed build directly from the Tomato GUI, but I'm not sure. My parents have a GL v1.1 running the latest TomatoUSB ToastMan build from ~Dec'14, so I will probably DD it next time I'm there.
KrypteX wrote:

Do you know if it's possible to use the K2.6 version for this router, have you tried it ? Asking due to this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL#Running_NEWD2_and.2For_K26_on_the_GL_model
Long ago, I used 2.6 kernel TomatoUSB (VPNnoUSB) builds and had a lot of issues; most notably a race condition causing constant high load values. And then the post-Fedor TomatoUSB builds stopped updating the 2.6 branch entirely, so I took it as a sign to avoid it. I've never tried it w/ DD, but given your noted link, I planned to stay far away from them. I found it odd though that it talks about modifying the CFE, as the Tomato build was just another GUI flash. Maybe that's just really old info...surely others have asked about it; I'll do some searches.

[deleted; can't use k26 except with older builds...]
UPDATE: So ya, I found this: www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=172051&highlight=k26
And links to other threads about it; most importantly this...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80420

Last edited by jwh7 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 13:46; edited 2 times in total
MickO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:

driver didn't support my pl2303 revision)

You need earlier driver for 2303. 2303 clones or earlier editions do not seem to work in Windows 8 and no doubt 10 using latest drivers. The earlier version is recognised by the Prolific diagnostic test software with Clone PL2303 or earlier 2303

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7FildjsrNkILWhYVHYwanJLS3c/edit
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
MickO wrote:
You need earlier driver for 2303. 2303 clones or earlier editions do not seem to work in Windows 8 and no doubt 10 using latest drivers. The earlier version is recognised by the Prolific diagnostic test software with Clone PL2303 or earlier 2303
Right on...after forcing Win10 to use the older driver (despite having selecting to delete the driver files and also uninstalling the driver) it is now working; PuTTY up and running. Though the Intel AMT driver might have also been interfering...

And since it is up, I will post the serial boot log, masked MAC of course. There are some 'iptables' and 'nonexistent directory' messages I found curious; when I saw them on the initial flash and boot, I figured they were cuz I had no WAN connection. I am still seeing them though now...that said, everything appears to be working fine. Smile

WRT54GLv1.1 serial boot.txt
 Description:
Boot output on serial

Download
 Filename:  WRT54GLv1.1 serial boot.txt
 Filesize:  7.45 KB
 Downloaded:  583 Time(s)

KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone with WRT54GL v1.x running K26, preferably a newer build 27xxx ?

Is this wiki info still valid ? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GL#Running_NEWD2_and.2For_K26_on_the_GL_model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: