NEW: Firmware Modification Kit (beta testing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
ik6vyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I' ve installed Debian 31r2 to start learning Linux.
I've downloaded Firmware Modification Kit but when i run Extract_firmware, there's an error.
This is the log:

make: Entering directory `/root/firmware_mod_tools/src'
gcc mksquashfs.o read_fs.o sort.o -lz -o mksquashfs
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mksquashfs] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/root/firmware_mod_tools/src'

What can i do?

Many thanks.
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ik6vyo wrote:
I've downloaded Firmware Modification Kit but when i run Extract_firmware, there's an error.
This is the log:

make: Entering directory `/root/firmware_mod_tools/src'
gcc mksquashfs.o read_fs.o sort.o -lz -o mksquashfs
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/lib/libz.a when searching for -lz
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mksquashfs] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/root/firmware_mod_tools/src'

What can i do?

Many thanks.

I honestly don't know ;(.. perhaps one of the linux gurus might recognize the problem. Make sure you have the latest GCC and G++ and latest C and C++ runtime libraries... maybe that is the issue.

Last edited by on Sun Aug 20, 2006 14:30; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ik6vyo wrote:

Well, to start learning Linux you should install a better distribution. I'd say Ubuntu 6.06 LTS or OpenSUSE is the way to go.
ik6vyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've read DD-WRT is Debian based system. I've tested Knoppix for compiling sources (like in Wiki descripted) but i've no result.
I'm trying to compile v23 sp1 micro but i'm full of errors.
Can anyone help me? i just want to add AX25 protocol and WRT Rflow function and cut some packages i don't need.
nlinux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your own the right track with using debian, the Ubuntu is just a debian fork anyway and so is Knoppix. My first guess would be that you have an old version of a lib and you need to update it.

if this is a fresh install try doing:

# apt-get update

# apt-get install

and see if that doesn't fix your problem.

*edit*

I hadn't used the mod kit before, just downloaded and installed on my box and everything works great.

Nice work db90h, Go Vols Smile

SD Mod w/ 512 MB Card & Dual Serial Ports
axscode
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guyz,

Just check this thread and see what dependencies you are missing....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2081&highlight=

Cheers!!!
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK.....now you're talking what I want to hear. I REALLY want to learn Linux, but I know NOTHING about it. I can enter a script that someone else compiles for me, but thats' the extent of it. I downloaded Knoppix a while back (someone, somewhere said to), but I have no idea what to do with it now. You say one should install Debian or Ubuntu......what exactly do you mean "install".......where ? Do I create a dual boot system and put Linux on one partition (or disk) and leave Windows on another? What's the best way to install it and be able to learn while still having my Windows PC. When I ask for directions, remember, I know NOTHING about Linux. I need details, not cryptic answers from experts who think everyone else is an expert. I know that's easy to do. I start talking medical terminology to people and they look at me like I'm speaking Greek (I actually am, kinda). I forget that not everyone speaks that language as freely as I do. Please remember that about those of us that don't speak Linux like you do. THANKS!!!!!!

Alden

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
nlinux
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
well the simplest thing for you to do without making a new partition and installing linux would be to get colinux set up and install the debian image for it. Then you can have both windows and linux running at the same time.

[img]http://www.colinux.org/[/img] Should get you started.

SD Mod w/ 512 MB Card & Dual Serial Ports
ik6vyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
where can i find gcc3:4.4 for Debian? In Debian.org ther's e newer version but not 3:4.4.
If i install the newer version, is it the same things?
Sorry .... Crying or Very sad
ik6vyo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excuse me........ Laughing I've found it... in Sourcecode of DD-Wrt site......
cdi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 16:22    Post subject: Atheros madwifi wrt54g v1 Reply with quote
hello all I have put driver of madwifi for the atheros but kernel does not support it?
in my wrt54g v1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
anectine17 wrote:
OK.....now you're talking what I want to hear. I REALLY want to learn Linux, but I know NOTHING about it. I can enter a script that someone else compiles for me, but thats' the extent of it. I downloaded Knoppix a while back (someone, somewhere said to), but I have no idea what to do with it now. You say one should install Debian or Ubuntu......what exactly do you mean "install".......where ? Do I create a dual boot system and put Linux on one partition (or disk) and leave Windows on another? What's the best way to install it and be able to learn while still having my Windows PC. When I ask for directions, remember, I know NOTHING about Linux. I need details, not cryptic answers from experts who think everyone else is an expert. I know that's easy to do. I start talking medical terminology to people and they look at me like I'm speaking Greek (I actually am, kinda). I forget that not everyone speaks that language as freely as I do. Please remember that about those of us that don't speak Linux like you do. THANKS!!!!!!

Use VMWare to install Ubuntu or whatever linux distribution you choose into a Virtual Machine. This is easier than messing around with colinux. You'll be up and running in a few minutes. It runs fine concurrently with Windows on any reasonably modern hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those curious, I've moved on from this project to another one I find more significant and interesting.

There might be more updates to the Firmware Mod Kit, who knows, but I don't plan any. I had hoped to see people creating Firmware Mod Kit ready IPKs for DD-WRT to make the job of removing or adding common packages from the images more easily.. but I guess if I don't do it nobody will ;(.
u3gyxap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what is the new project? Smile
Gibbler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 18:51    Post subject: New Project Reply with quote
I, as well, am very interested. db90h comes up with the coolest stuff.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: