NEW: Firmware Modification Kit (beta testing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
mbellot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
For those curious, I've moved on from this project to another one I find more significant and interesting.

Nothing more to say?

db90h wrote:
There might be more updates to the Firmware Mod Kit, who knows, but I don't plan any. I had hoped to see people creating Firmware Mod Kit ready IPKs for DD-WRT to make the job of removing or adding common packages from the images more easily.. but I guess if I don't do it nobody will ;(.

Slow down, not everyone works at your pace. I'd be willing to bet that you'll see more in the future, it will just take time.

FWIW - I haven't messed with it much, but it looks to have some real potential. Give it a chance to mature some in its current state.

I also think it might help the less motivated if a pre-packaged VPC environment was available to give it a "test drive" of sorts.

So.... You tell me which Linux distro you think would be best (if it really makes a difference) and what (if any) packages beyond a basic (no gui) compiler/developer install are needed and I'll toss one off. I can't host it, but I'd be happy to help in this little way.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
For those curious, I've moved on from this project to another one I find more significant and interesting.

http://www.bitsum.com/smf/index.php?topic=256.0

db90h wrote:
This project has begun to take shape. Currently it's name x-wrt. The project home is here : http://code.google.com/p/x-wrt/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
First, sorry for my lack of visiting this place lately. I have endeavored to stay away from forums of late, as part of my continuing effort to improve my mental health. Now, if I can just kick irc.... Wink.

mbellot wrote:

Nothing more to say?

Sorry, I didn't want to offend anyone and wear out my welcome more than I already have.

Quote:

Slow down, not everyone works at your pace. I'd be willing to bet that you'll see more in the future, it will just take time.

You are right, I didn't mean to sound aggressive there. I was just trying to motivate people Wink.

Quote:

I also think it might help the less motivated if a pre-packaged VPC environment was available to give it a "test drive" of sorts.
So.... You tell me which Linux distro you think would be best (if it really makes a difference) and what (if any) packages beyond a basic (no gui) compiler/developer install are needed and I'll toss one off. I can't host it, but I'd be happy to help in this little way.

I'd LOVE to see this done... and it would definitely help many people. Basically you just need the packages listed in the documentation. The requirements are very few. If you do work on this and run into any issues, just email me and I'll do what I can to figure them out. I'll host it, or find someone that will, if you build it. Brainslayer may even host it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 0:03    Post subject: squashfs v3.2 Reply with quote
squashfs v3.1 was released yesterday (08-20-06). I haven't looked, but have got reports that Brainslayer has updated to it (I would if I were him). I'll update the firmware modification kit some time when I get a chance. However, this introduces additional work as I want to support both version and the older file system driver may not work with the newer mksquashfs (even if it does, I shouldn't assume it will).

For now, use builds of DD-WRT older than this..
mbellot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
I'd LOVE to see this done... and it would definitely help many people. Basically you just need the packages listed in the documentation. The requirements are very few. If you do work on this and run into any issues, just email me and I'll do what I can to figure them out. I'll host it, or find someone that will, if you build it. Brainslayer may even host it.

Oh god, it involves readng the documentation?

Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 0:41    Post subject: Re: squashfs v3.2 Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
squashfs v3.1 was released yesterday (08-20-06). I haven't looked, but have got reports that Brainslayer has updated to it (I would if I were him). I'll update the firmware modification kit some time when I get a chance. However, this introduces additional work as I want to support both version and the older file system driver may not work with the newer mksquashfs (even if it does, I shouldn't assume it will).

no i havent. but i will if i found its worth todo so

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:35    Post subject: Re: squashfs v3.2 Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
db90h wrote:

no i havent. but i will if i found its worth todo so

Oh, I had a guy email me saying he had this issue with the squashfs minor version number, and I had assumed this was the reason.. he must have been using an older copy of DD-WRT that uses squashfs v2.x or something.. or maybe I should quit speculating and actually look this time. Assumptions, assumptions, ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm in the process of doing a huge overhaul of the kit so that it can more easily be extended to support different firmware image types. It should be done very soon.

Also, TexHex has submitted a Samba package for DD-WRT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 19:54    Post subject: v0.45 released Reply with quote
http://www.bitsum.com/smf/index.php?topic=259.0

I could probably have done a bit more polishing on this, but I wanted to throw it on out. From now on I will be releasing update notifications in the thread mentioned above, and also there is now a check_update.sh script that will automatically tell you if a new version is available.
jacky1108
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks db90h provide us a great tool kit, would you please add cramfs support to it? Thanks!
guymarc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
during the extract firmware process, I got the following error

Code:
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0xa7df0360 ***
./extract_firmware: line 91: 31791 Aborted                 "src/untrx"
"$1" "$2/image_parts" >>extract.log

But when I look at the result everything *seems* correct, as far as I can tell Wink but I didn't dare to go further.
I run the program on a debian testing.

The complete output of the command follows
Code:

guy@vl6 ~/dd-wrt/firmware-mod-kit $  ./extract_firmware
dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin wrk/
./extract_firmware v0.45 beta, (c)2006 Jeremy Collake
 Checking for updates ...
  You have the latest version of this kit.
  LINUX system detected. Compatibility ok.
 Testing file system of wrk/ ...
 Building tools ...
  Build seems successful.
  Preparing working directory ...
   Removing any previous files ...
   Creating directories ...
  Extracting firmware ...
 untrx v0.45 beta - (c)2006 Jeremy Collake
 Opening dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin
 read 2417664 bytes
  Writing wrk//image_parts/segment1
    size 2248 from offset 28 ...
  Writing wrk//image_parts/segment2
    size 579724 from offset 2276 ...
  SQUASHFS v3.0 image detected
  Writing wrk//image_parts/squashfs_magic
  Writing wrk//image_parts/squashfs-lzma-image-3_0
    size 1835664 from offset 582000 ...
 Firmware appears extracted correctly!
 Now make changes and run build_firmware.sh.
guy@vl6 ~/dd-wrt/firmware-mod-kit $

-- guy
jacky1108
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
one more question, I found I can extract file from cramfs image file by the tool "uncramfs" in src\cramfs, and I notice that it shows something like "-rw-r--r-- 500/244 209(207) abc.png", what does "500/244" mean? when modified something and use mkcramfs to compress it back, the "500/244" changed to "1000/232", what's the difference between them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
jacky1108 wrote:
Thanks db90h provide us a great tool kit, would you please add cramfs support to it? Thanks!

Now done (v0.46), but it's not well tested.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
guymarc wrote:
during the extract firmware process, I got the following error

Code:

But when I look at the result everything *seems* correct, as far as I can tell Wink but I didn't dare to go further.
I run the program on a debian testing.

The complete output of the command follows
Code:

guy@vl6 ~/dd-wrt/firmware-mod-kit $  ./extract_firmware
dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin wrk/
./extract_firmware v0.45 beta, (c)2006 Jeremy Collake
 Checking for updates ...
  You have the latest version of this kit.
  LINUX system detected. Compatibility ok.
 Testing file system of wrk/ ...
 Building tools ...
  Build seems successful.
  Preparing working directory ...
   Removing any previous files ...
   Creating directories ...
  Extracting firmware ...
 untrx v0.45 beta - (c)2006 Jeremy Collake
 Opening dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin
 read 2417664 bytes
  Writing wrk//image_parts/segment1
    size 2248 from offset 28 ...
  Writing wrk//image_parts/segment2
    size 579724 from offset 2276 ...
  SQUASHFS v3.0 image detected
  Writing wrk//image_parts/squashfs_magic
  Writing wrk//image_parts/squashfs-lzma-image-3_0
    size 1835664 from offset 582000 ...
 Firmware appears extracted correctly!
 Now make changes and run build_firmware.sh.
guy@vl6 ~/dd-wrt/firmware-mod-kit $

-- guy

Looks like maybe a pointer to some dynamically allocated memory is being deallocated twice or is getting over-written on the stack by a buffer overflow. Try v0.46. I'll look and see if I see any obvious problems when I get a chance. In v0.45 I rewrote untrx (was just thrown together crap before), so it's possible I made a mistake somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 0:46    Post subject: RSS feed for updates Reply with quote
I advise anyone who wants to keep up to date with this kit to use the following RSS feed:

http://www.bitsum.com/smf/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml;board=15.0

Of course, v0.45 and above will let you know if there are updates when you run the build and/or extract script.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 14
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: