WINS: how to disable (maybe it already is?)

captainmidnight
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:42    Post subject: WINS: how to disable (maybe it already is?) Reply with quote
[Note: this is a repost of this one, which I inexplicably put on the Broadcom forum, sorry! If anyone knows how I can delete that wrongly placed post, lemme know. I do not have permission.]

I flashed my Netgear WNDR3700 v2 several days ago to the latest DD-WRT (v3.0-r27506 (07/09/15) std).

Going thru the DD-WRT web GUI and configuring it, I came across some things that I did not understand.

One of them is in the Setup --> Basic Setup --> Network Setup section. There is row there for the WINS IP address.

I know very little about WINS, but I gather that it is some obsolete crap from Microsoft that should almost surely be disabled for me. Some links that informed that judgement are here and here ("No, please do not run WINS. WINS is evil and must be turned off immediately unless you are running some old piece of software that requires it.").

Now, my current WINS IP address is the default, which is 0.0.0.0. Can someone please confirm for me what that IP address means for DD-WRT's WINS config? Like, does it disable WINS?

I ask because my research on that IP address found that its interpretation is ambiguous. For example, this wikipedia article mentions that these two contrary (to me) interpretations are among the possible meanings:

A way to specify "any IPv4-host at all". It is used in this way when specifying a default route.
A way to explicitly specify that the target is unavailable

That first meaning does not imply disabling at all, while the second one does!

By the way, is there any thorough (line by line) documentation available for DD-WRT configuration? I looked on the DD-WRT webpage, for example the wiki, and I did not find what I want. The wiki's installation docs, for example, are detailed but is there followup config docs?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: