Repeater-Bridge Controls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 16:19    Post subject: Repeater-Bridge Controls Reply with quote
DETAILS
=======
#1 RT-68ACU Gateway =192.168.8.1 = (Merlin Firmware)
#2 RT-68ACU R-Bridge =192.168.8.3 = RT-68ACU (DD-WRT v3.0-r27343)

GOALS
=====
Manage access to the DD-WRT repeater bridge. Specifically, implement controls at the R-Bridge:

A) No Torrenting, youtube or similar is fine
B) Administrator to control wifi access via MAC address
c) No traffic from wired-in access points traffic into R-Bridge.

These controls are important because, I want to limit which devices can access wifi AND prevent any issues.

QUESTIONS:
==========
1) Is it possible to engage DD-WRT (Device #2) to implement controls A) & B)? The goal is to have separate controls at the gateway.

2) Is it necessary / desirable / advantageous to create a separate guest wifi network and attach the device #2 to it via wifi? If yes, continue to use R-bridge mode?

3) Can wired device access be controlled at the R-Bridge via MAC address? or is there a better way?

CLOSING COMMENT
===============
Actionable recommendations are appreciated: especially if the recommendation is accompanied with a discussion of the pros / cons / limitations. Responses are not only used by the original-poster but will be read by others with the same or similar questions and intent.

Constructive diagnostic questions are also appreciated. Thank you

Sponsor
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32    Post subject: Block via keyword Reply with quote
Reconfigured the remote router as a wireless CLIENT (no longer a repeater bridge) to isolate remote users from my LAN. I have attempted to block P2P by adding keyword triggers:

Code:
AccessRestrictions -> WAN Access -> Website Blocking by Keyword

announce
torrent
utorrent
tracker

This policy was named P2P and was enabled. The LAN IPs affected were specified as 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.254

I added the keyword 'utorrent' as a test case and went to www.utorrent.com with expectation it would be blocked. www.utorrent.com was blocked. I went to Google 'utorrent' and it returned a search. Is the block working correctly: only at the URL and not at the content?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: