TP-Link WR710N + OpenVPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
toto2012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:16    Post subject: TP-Link WR710N + OpenVPN Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a TP-Link WR710N (EU V2). I have managed to flash successfully the router with DD-WRT.
I used this release:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-25-2015-r27745/tplink_tl-wr710nv2/

However, I don't have the OpenVPN field.
The release I have is STD. I have seen that there is a VPN release but I couldn't put my hand on it.

Could you please let me know what should I do in order to get a vpn running on my router?

Thanks Very Happy [/url]
Sponsor
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only 4 MB flash on your router. No space for VPN.
Though v1 has 8 MB

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
toto2012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right, mine has only 4mb.
But there is something which puzzles me.
Astrill vpn is selling already configured TP links WR703N with 4mb and openvpn in the DD-WRT firmware.
How is it possible?
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
toto2012 wrote:
Astrill vpn is selling already configured TP links WR703N with 4mb and openvpn in the DD-WRT firmware.
How is it possible?

Astrill vpn routers are not using standard dd-wrt. I believe they are modified dd-wrt which are optimized for openvpn. Because of that, you need to pay a premium for their routers such as $50 for a WR703N. With $50, you can probably get a decent router with 8M RAM which is faster and have openvpn with standard dd-wrt.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
toto2012 wrote:
How is it possible?

by stripping ddwrt down to force fit it in..just get a GOOD router once, thatll last years. its worth it to pay the extra $20-45 more for something with decent flash (& cpu power to use any vpn without sucktastic speed)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
js1662 wrote:
Astrill vpn routers are not using standard dd-wrt. I believe they are modified dd-wrt which are optimized for openvpn. Because of that, you need to pay a premium for their routers such as $50 for a WR703N. With $50, you can probably get a decent router with 8M RAM which is faster and have openvpn with standard dd-wrt.

Something like the tl-wr1043nd v2 would probably be the best <$50 for VPN (on atheros, I haven't kept up with broadcom), due to the 720mhz CPU. I don't know of any other routers in the price range with a more powerful processor, which is necessary for decent VPN speeds. It has 8mb flash/64mb ram, so it doesn't have everything, but it has VPN on the GUI. I'm able to stream Netflix in HD with mine. Its advertised as n300, but its actually n450. The only issue its ever given me is it won't mount my 5tb external HD. I believe either 4k sector support was left out of the build or is broken. It works with other drives
toto2012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
toto2012 wrote:
How is it possible?

by stripping ddwrt down to force fit it in..just get a GOOD router once, thatll last years. its worth it to pay the extra $20-45 more for something with decent flash (& cpu power to use any vpn without sucktastic speed)

The WR710N 8mb version would have just been perfect but it turns out that europeans are not so lucky anymore.
I am going to China (enjoying their wonderful restricted internet access) next week and for months so my only option right now is to strip off DD-WRT.
I plan to use the V2 version and to remove packs to end up with VPN mini version.

Do you think it is feasible? Would you have some tips to do this?
I have read that there is no need to compile source code anymore but instead, there are some tools specially developed to modify dd-wrt.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I say buy a WR710N v1, I have one of them, works OK. I think it would be perfect for your needs.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
toto2012 wrote:
I plan to use the V2 version and to remove packs to end up with VPN mini version.

Do you think it is feasible? Would you have some tips to do this?
I have read that there is no need to compile source code anymore but instead, there are some tools specially developed to modify dd-wrt.

If you choose to go that path, you can take a look at this wiki: http://dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index.php/Development

You can also try openwrt too if you like.

BTW, does your vpn provider support pptp vpn too? If yes, you can just use pptp vpn on your WR710n without going through all the trouble of getting openvpn into your router.
toto2012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have given up with the WR710N v2 and I have bought a netgear EX6200.
I have managed to put DD-WRT from myopenrouter.com.
It is the mini version but it includes openvpn, then, I tried to put the latest version from dd-wrt website but this version (also mini) doesn't have openvpn so I have changed back to the one from myopenrouter.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: