How to use 4G phone's Internet via usb tethering?

MountainX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:01    Post subject: How to use 4G phone's Internet via usb tethering? Reply with quote
How to use a 4G phone to provide WAN/Internet service to a LAN?

I intend to use this as backup when my cable modem Internet goes down. (It goes down frequently and it is down now.)

My phone has a fast 4G connection, I pay for tethering with my provider and I have sufficient data per month available.

There are several possible different ways to solve this. I want to use a usb connection (in part because I read that WDS reduces bandwidth by half for each hop.)

Here is what my network looks like normally:

CableModem <-- dd-wrt router <-- 48 port GigE switch <-- LAN: many wired devices (printers and Ubuntu computers) plus several wireless clients that connect to the router.

Here is what I want it to look like when Comcast goes down:

Phone's 4G Internet <-- dd-wrt router <-- 48 port GigE switch <-- LAN: many wired devices (printers and Ubuntu computers) plus several wireless clients that connect to the router.

Step 1. connect my phone to the router by usb cable.
2. enable usb tethering in phone.
3. now what?

Is there a tutorial for this? If not, what are the basic steps in dd-wrt for accomplishing this goal?

(Also, what is the best router for this and which version of dd-wrt would be best/most stable for this purpose?)

References:
Mobile Broadband - DD-WRT Wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Broadband

Cellular Phone/USB Modem as WAN connection - DD-WRT Wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cellular_Phone/USB_Modem_as_WAN_connection
Sponsor
MountainX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21    Post subject: update Reply with quote
I tried a few things yesterday and today.

1. I purchased a BUFFALO AirStation AC 1750 DD-WRT Router (WZR-1750DHPD). It came with firmware "DD-WRT v24SP2-(8/12/14) std"

2. I bought an Asus RT-AC68P.

3. I used Kubuntu on a laptop with an Ethernet cable to my router's WAN port.

#3 was the easiest to get working for me. I tethered my phone via USB and used Kubuntu's Internet sharing and I was able to use my phone as the router's WAN connection. This is easy and works great. But it ties up a laptop.

#2 was next easiest. The Asus firmware supports this functionality out of the box. Personally, I found the stock Asus firmware very frustrating compared to dd-wrt, but after an hour or more of playing with the finicky firmware, I got this working. It works well.

The #1 option (dd-wrt on any router) is my preferred option. But the dd-wrt firmware on the Buffalo doesn't seem to support this. (I couldn't get it to work.)

I have found so many different discussions on this topic that I'm not sure which is right. What does it take to get dd-wrt working? Based on the link below, I looked for a kong build for the buffalo, but didn't find one.

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - 4G USB Modem
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=981336#981336
"I can recommend Kong Mod to achieve this. Works right out of the box, at leastt for me. I recently lost my wired internet connection and used a 3G dongle as backup. The only thing I did was to plug in the dongle, select '3G/4G' as Wan connection and filled in the APN. Everything worked directly, no additional modules to load. Success or failure is of course dependent on the dongle being supported."

What next?
MountainX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried more stuff.

I purchased an R7000 and installed 08/23/2015 dd-wrt from kong's site (http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/). I cannot make the USB tethering work with dd-wrt, and I tried a lot of different settings.

I have two working methods: 1) any recent Asus router, 2) using a laptop between the phone and router.

I have two non-working dd-wrt routers: 1) R7000 with very recent dd-wrt from kong, 2) BUFFALO AirStation AC 1750 DD-WRT Router (WZR-1750DHPD). It came with firmware "DD-WRT v24SP2-(8/12/14) std"

I'm not giving up on dd-wrt yet, but I could really use some suggestions.
jenova314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 20:24    Post subject: Any progress? Reply with quote
Hello, did you make any headway?
sysh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
MountainX wrote:
I tried more stuff.

I purchased an R7000 and installed 08/23/2015 dd-wrt from kong's site (http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/). I cannot make the USB tethering work with dd-wrt, and I tried a lot of different settings.

I have two working methods: 1) any recent Asus router, 2) using a laptop between the phone and router.

I have two non-working dd-wrt routers: 1) R7000 with very recent dd-wrt from kong, 2) BUFFALO AirStation AC 1750 DD-WRT Router (WZR-1750DHPD). It came with firmware "DD-WRT v24SP2-(8/12/14) std"

I'm not giving up on dd-wrt yet, but I could really use some suggestions.

What have you tried so far in regards to configuration?

I am able to make it work with my setup:

Cellular modem (USB connection) --> dd-wrt (kong build) --> LAN

The following is what I did to make it work (I use dd-wrt as my only LAN router):

- Set WAN to DHCP

- In "Services:USB", enable all except "Use SES Button to remove drives" (I don't use external USB devices except my modem, but have everything enabled anyways.)

- You then need to setup a new WAN port, I did it like this (using eth3 as the new WAN):

nvram set wan_iface=eth3
nvram set wan_ifname=eth3
nvram set wan_ifnames=eth3
nvram set wan_ifname2=eth3
nvram set wan_default=eth3
nvram commit

- I also use the following startup commands (I need to set my modem to a particular mode before it works):

insmod usbnet
insmod cdc_ether
usb_modeswitch -v xxxx -p xxxx -u xxxx
udhcpc -i eth3

For iPhone and Android tethering I activate the tethering function on the phone, set WAN to "iPhone tethering" (while having loaded usbnet and cdc_ether), and then plug the phone to the dd-wrt router - this works as well.

Hope you can use this.
jagster936
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there a modern way to do this with latest WWDRT build? I don't think you need commands but I cannot get it to work with my S4 verizon android phone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: