WRT54G V8 problem (Solved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mantor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:18    Post subject: WRT54G V8 problem (Solved) Reply with quote
I tried to flash with dd-wrt and it seemed to have maybe bricked my router. When I plug in, the lights light up but then go out. If I plug in my computer into port 1. That light turns on. I have done all of the resets. There isn't any GUI connection through a browser. I can however ping it. I keep trying to up load the .bin files and I get the following:

sent WRQ <file=1/desktop/dd-wrt.v24_micro_olsrd_generic.bin, mode=octet>
received ACK <block=0>
sent ERROR <code=0, msg=Is a directory>

I have tried it with two different micro bins, the original linksys firmware .bin

I don't know what to do next. Any ideas?

Last edited by mantor on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:25; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
you really have to read announcements at the top of the forum including the peacock thread. you need to post more info on your problem after you have read them then people will help. good luck.
mantor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read the peacock post. I have a wrt54g v8
I tried to flash it using the method of what was listed.
hard 30/30/30 rest
Used terminal with the router plugged into port one. I made sure the computer was set at 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
Loaded the vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin, waited 10 mins rebooted the router.
I tried to load the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

Now I have a router that will only light the lights up when plugged in then go dark. If I plug in ethernet to port one and connect to laptop with all wireless options off. The light for that port lights up. No other ones. I can ping it, see screenshot. I can tftp and connect to it, but can not load anything to it. I have tried to go through the same steps and nothing works.
The only thing I have not tried is the jtag cable. Although from what I have read, that is for a bricked router that you can not ping.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 8.36.04 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  313.11 KB
 Viewed:  4798 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 8.36.04 PM.png

thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe the linksys tftp program might be helpful.

http://www.idealinternet.co.uk/restore-linksys-firmware.tpl

i know i also had trouble with coordinating timing the tftp upload with powering up the router, its a small window. i did try starting the tftp and then plugging in the router after and that worked once. also i was using windows vista and i couldn't get it to work until i tried using windows XP emulation mode. good luck.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
mantor wrote:
I have read the peacock post.
[...]
I tried to load the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
What build #/type? I presume 14929, from the v8 wiki. Not that it should really matter (usually), but that -is- definitely part of the announcements. Smile

What was your TFTP method for the micro build? The TTL=100 means you're in the CFE, so that's good. On my WRT54GSv6, I have to start the TFTP immediately at the first TTL=100 reply after plugging in power.

I have the constant ping running in one window, and the TFTP ready to go in the other. I've used both the command line and GUI versions.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have no firmware on that router. The question is whether you need to flash ddwrt to get it working, or whether vxkiller failed and you need to flash stock firmware. Choose wisely.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have static IP set on your comper e.g 192.168.1.7

Try TFTP the [vxworksrevert-Gv8-v3.bin]

If it don't go -- have TFTP set to send and do a fast unplug/replug of the power cord.
It should go then.

Give it a few minutes then power cycle and try to reach 192.168.1.1 from your browser.
You should get the firmware management page.
Install the linksys firmware [WRT54Gv8_v8.00.0_fw.bin]

If you get that done you can start all over using the vxworks killer and then install a dd-wrt miro build Smile
mantor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:24    Post subject: FINALLY Reply with quote
I got it to work! I was able to ping and not able to do any uploads through the mac side terminal. I tried notwellman's idea of trying linksys's tftp program http://www.idealinternet.co.uk/restore-linksys-firmware.tpl on the pc side of my mac. I has the interface to tell you it is sending and router activity. I die the 30/30/30 and used the vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin after that power reset and then the dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin and it WORKED!

Thank you for all your help Very Happy
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
glad you didn't give up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: