Repeater/Bridge with three routers?

paulkruger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 21:19    Post subject: Repeater/Bridge with three routers? Reply with quote
Sorry it this belongs elsewhere but a search did not help locate my issue.

I have a steel shed which does not get decent signal from my Xfinity wifi in the house.

I have ethernet run underground to shed and a Buffalo router (192.168.1.2) inside to provide a second router and WiFi inside. DHCP is off and devices get IP and DNS from Xfinity router/modem.

I have a second router (Netis)with different IP, (192.168.1.11) plugged into Buffalo, to feed a omni dipole outside to cover my yard and surrounding area including a neighbor's house. Also DHCP is off, all routers get IP's from the main Xfinity modem. Also have a ip cam on the tower just for fun.

I want to place a repeater/bridge at neighbors and plug that into their LAN and Wifi as well.

I have a good Linksys WAP45G for their remote end as well as a directional antenna for one of the two antenna ports.

My QUESTION

How best to configure this link considering the AP it will be talking to is not the main router in the house? I don't mind using separate DNS and IP to keep people out of my network. I already have several SSID's for my cell/tablet/laptop to use so don't mind that.

I have done a fair bit of networking but have never used DD-WRT nor have I set up a bridge like this so any help/suggestions most welcome.

If the WAP54G won't do the trick, alternate suggestions welcome. Question
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best option would be to use routers of the same make and keep them in same subnet using WDS.

WDS is a pure bridge and will cause you much less trouble when multiple devices are connected to either side.
paulkruger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Your best option would be to use routers of the same make and keep them in same subnet using WDS.

I sort of came to that conclusion by force. My WAP54 for some reason cannot be found by the utility. Seems okay otherwise but cannot configure.

I ordered an identical unit to the one I am using to broadcast with. It is the Netis which is an all in one with high power out. Since it can be configured as almost anything I will link to that and plug their internal wifi router into it on the other end giving them their own internal network.

This way I can aim a bi-quad I made at my antenna and their internal router will connect to their computer and wifi devices. I will let their router provide their own DNS.

On the included matter of the Tower Cam but not related to dd-wrt per se, Since I am three routers away from my modem/router, if I want to view from the world am I going to have to port forward three times, one for each router? The first cam is wifi connected to the primary router so that is no problem.

Thanks much!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configure the Router as a Client and let it connect to the ap on the other side.

I will not used NAT inside the local network (no need for port forwarding). I presume your neighbour have different ip sub-net than you. Set some static routes on the routers so all routers know where all sub-nets are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: