Looking to block several ports and URLS, do I need dd-wrt?

burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 23:42    Post subject: Looking to block several ports and URLS, do I need dd-wrt? Reply with quote
I'm using a Linksys E3000 which currently has Toastman Tomato firmware v1.28.7507 MIPSR2Toastman-RT K26 Std.

I'm not a power user whatsoever, but I do have a couple of needs, and I'm wondering if they might be met by way of dd-wrt.

I want to block out a few ports(to block kik messenger which my kid uses on their ipod), and I also want to block out instagram all together.

I know I can block ports with the firmware I am using, but the url blocking does not seem to work, and I'm assuming that the firmware(although it is the latest version) is more than likely outdated since tomato is not being managed any longer. I'm also aware that I can use a service like OpenDNS to filter out instagram, but if I do that, then it shows an openDNS screen explaining that it was blocked. I figured if I blocked this using the router, it would be more natural looking and I could say "must be something wrong with that site - not sure".

Can I accomplish what I need to using dd-wrt? Also, being that I don't have any other needs like VPN, Optware, or heck, even the external USB port, what version of dd-wrt should I be looking at flashing?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use DNSmasq to send the URL to either a dead IP or something like Google Safe Search's IP.

address=/google.com/216.239.38.120

would send google.com to the safesearch server. You could do the same for other sites and it'd just send them to google safe search, or you could use an invalid IP, and it just wouldn't load. I have no experience with tomato, but I believe it uses DNSmasq too. Just enforce the use of DNSmasq for DNS.
burgertime
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Understood. Thank you for that idea as I never thought of it. Tomato doesn't have any dnsmasq issues, so I'll just roll onto DD-WRT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: