Linksys EA6350 Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
kevroy314
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:21    Post subject: Linksys EA6350 Support Reply with quote
Hello!

This is my first time posting so please let me know if I'm missing some etiquette!

I have a Linksys EA6350 that I've been using for around a year and am a bit unhappy with the performance. I've used dd-wrt on an older router once before (can't recall what as it was many years ago) and had a great experience so I'd like to give it a try again on this router. I bought this model last minute because I had just moved and my old one somehow broke during the move. I figured I'd go with an AC router since I now have a few wireless devices that I've slowly been upgrading.

My network isn't too congested usually (other than the occasional video streaming to a Chromecast from either a NAS or Netflix), but I have about 12 permanent devices ranging from g to ac, mostly on the 2.4GHz band (although one or two I end up having to occasionally put on 5GHz as I'm in an apartment and I randomly get huge problems with latency).

I noticed that the EA6350 is on the [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Linksys_.28a_division_of_Belkin_-_formerly_Cisco.29]Supported Devices[/url] page, but this seems to be the only reference to it besides a single unanswered question in a [url=http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=920965]forum post[/url].

I've taken a look through the announcement threads and at the Installation page. I've also checked the Hardware Specific and Known Unsupported Devices wiki pages. This router seems to be a bit of a ghost other than the above links.

I also figured since it looks like it uses the same chipset as the R6200, TEW-811DRU, EA6200, and EA6300 that I'd look into those.

I had more luck finding EA6300 info, but I'm still a little unsure about how to proceed. Much of my results for the EA63000 were forum posts about people bricking or having trouble so my confidence isn't super high.

Any suggestions on what to do to try to set this router up? Are there some resources I missed which might help me get started?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not supported.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
i got this to run with the latest kong firmware:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=286608

i suggest saving the devinfo strings by capturing the output from this command from your serial console:
devinfo show

this router has two firmware images. i flashed both images:

CFE> flash -noheader : nflash0.trx
CFE> flash -noheader : nflash0.trx2

from your computer:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD-27950m.bin
.....wait for ok, then repeat for 2nd image

rebooted, and dd-wrt came up.

undergoing testng now.
routernewbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoffman wrote:
i got this to run with the latest kong firmware:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=286608

i suggest saving the devinfo strings by capturing the output from this command from your serial console:
devinfo show

this router has two firmware images. i flashed both images:

CFE> flash -noheader : nflash0.trx
CFE> flash -noheader : nflash0.trx2

from your computer:
.....wait for ok, then repeat for 2nd image

rebooted, and dd-wrt came up.

undergoing testng now.

How's the test going? Interested in flashing my router as well.
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
up for the past 3 days. no crashes, temp~70C, no problems.
routernewbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoffman wrote:
up for the past 3 days. no crashes, temp~70C, no problems.

Thank you! Will try this out once my order arrive(refurbished from Amazon). I'm new to router temps(just read about the overheating issues of some Linksys routers), but isn't 70C too hot? I was already planning of a cooling strategy for this router since I've read many reviews about it being too hot sometimes.

Do you mind if I ask you to post some speed tests(local transfers)?
Lude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello ghoffman;

I don't know anything about a serial console; without the CFE back up should I not flash DD-WRT?

I also plan to use tftp2.exe to flash; do you know how I would flash both images with it?

Thanks for reading Smile
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don't think you can flash from the standard cfe, because the linksys cfe will not accest a firmware image much larger than the factory firmware at 14.5 mb.
it would be great to get a 'mini' image for initial flashing from kong. i will suggest this to him.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt Kong will make a smaller image from you since the router is not a supported model and Kong has said more than once, unless he has the unit on hand he isn't making any builds for it if it's not a supported model.
He said so just yesterday in another thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoffman; have you tried ea6400 xvortex cfe and/or numinit's small ea6400 small initial flash on ea6350?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lude wrote:
ghoffman; have you tried ea6400 xvortex cfe and/or numinit's small ea6400 small initial flash on ea6350?

There is nothing to gain from that, the EA6350 has 64KB nvram and should not be affected by the 32K bug which most other EA routers has

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Lude wrote:

The EA6350 cfe does not have the 32K bug from what I can see so there shouldn't be anything to gain from swapping cfe.

That's great news!

I just picked up the EA6350 tonight since it was only $31cad Smile

I'm hoping that maybe linksys-ea6400-numinit-super-hacky-smaller-version.bin can be modified to work since I believe the hardare is similar or the same.

Edit: I just realized the EA6400 has a dual core processor and the EA6350 has a single core Sad

linksys-ea6400-numinit-super-hacky-smaller-version.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  linksys-ea6400-numinit-super-hacky-smaller-version.bin
 Filesize:  15.91 MB
 Downloaded:  3865 Time(s)

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lude wrote:

Edit: I just realized the EA6400 has a dual core processor and the EA6350 has a single core Sad

What did you expect for $31CAD? It is still a very good deal!

The EA6350 is made by Arcadyan (hence not same CFE as other EA series) and is basically what became of the EA6200 and EA6300 (noversion) that Belkin had ordered before buying Linksys and finding out that they now had overlapping EA models.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Lude wrote:

The EA6350 is made by Arcadyan (hence not same CFE as other EA series) and is basically what became of the EA6200 and EA6300 (noversion) that Belkin had ordered before buying Linksys and finding out that they now had overlapping EA models.

Well I bought a refurbished EA6300 which turned out to be a EA6400 for $30cad a year ago so I guess I'm just spoiled lol Smile

Thanks for the CFE info; maybe I'll look into how to use a serial connection to flash.
routernewbie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lude wrote:
LOM wrote:
Lude wrote:

Well I bought a refurbished EA6300 which turned out to be a EA6400 for $30cad a year ago so I guess I'm just spoiled lol Smile

Thanks for the CFE info; maybe I'll look into how to use a serial connection to flash.

Any luck on this? Interested in flashing as well but I have no experience in CFE yet.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: