Linksys EA6350 Support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
sanjay92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any feedback on this ? Can we put DD-WRT on EA6350 V1 or should I just forget about installing DD-WRT.
Sponsor
CTEC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tutorial on top of page 8 has clear directions.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is EA6350 v2 possible to install this firmware or not?
compgeek127
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:36    Post subject: DD-WRT Install Guide for Linksys EA6350 v1 Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
mrjoneskod wrote:
It was working for 7 days with no issues, I seted it up to reboot automatically every day at 3am. But the day it bricked, I rebooted it trough the web interface, and them all that arived.

Others have it working with the same firmware and they where able to revert it to the stock firmaware or other variant of dd-wrt.

You should never run a firmware which doesn't have support added for the router. never!

Just pump on with ctrl-C, start already while it does the memtest (SHMOO) and continue until you see "Boot version: v2.1.1"
If you don't get the CFE prompt at that time then you have connected your cable wrong.

leftmost pin = 3.3V and should not be connected, rightmost pin is ground.
middle pins are tx and rx and you have got them right if you get output from the router.

No handshake/flow control in terminal program setting.

LOM wrote:
The original EA6350 CFE is shit, same problem as other EA6xxx series. It says it is 64KB but craps out as soon
as size grows over 32KB.
It does also limit the 2 firmware partitions to 29.7MB each which is only a 1MB more than current ddwrt build for the router. No space to grow in.

Attached is my modification of xvortex CFE, it runs nice on my own EA6350 since a few days back.

After many hours of reading these forums, I tried many of the multiple methods for installing dd-wrt on this router. The numinit hack method worked for a while but automatically went back to Linksys firmware after a power failure. After much trial and error, I finally managed to get DD-WRT firmware working on this router. To save the rest of you from this frustration; I am going to explain just how I did it but please read to the bottom before attempting any of the steps.

There is no easy way to upgrade the firmware on this router. If you turn your router into a brick I will not be held responsible. Do this at your own risk. This will void your warranty if you are not already aware. Never do a 30/30/30 reset on this router. After following this guide, I don't think it's possible to go back to Linksys OEM firmware but why would you ever want to. right?

Tools Required:
A computer or laptop running Windows (I used Windows 10 Pro x64) and preferably with an available USB and Ethernet port.
A USB to Serial breakout board or an available serial port on the computer required above. I used a DFRobot FTDI USB to Serial basic breakout board.
Serial Cable with open pins if using the serial port method
Ethernet cable
Phillips-head screwdriver

Files/Programs Required:
Putty SSH/Telnet/Serial client
LOM's modified xvortex CFE
Linksys TFTP Update Utility
DD-WRT beta firmware for EA6350

Step 1: (dis-assembling the router)
Unplug the router and remove all the connections from the router.
Remove the rubber shoes by pulling them out.
Remove the four screws on the bottom of the unit.
Carefully unsnap the top cover from the unit using a credit card or something NOT METAL OR SHARP.

Step 2: (connecting to the serial port)
The four serial pins are to the left of the processor near the center of the board. Connect the serial pins on the router to your breakout board or serial cable. See LOM's quote above about it. (3.3V+|TX|RX|GND) remember TX->RX and RX->TX otherwise no communication.
If using the USB to Serial, plug it into the computer's usb port after attaching the serial pins.

Step 3: (setting up putty)
Open up putty.exe.
Under Category->Connection select Serial.
Set the correct COM line. (Mine was COM3)
>Speed(baud): 115200
>Data bits: 8
>Stop bits: 1
>Parity: None
>Flow Control: None
Under Category select Session and set Connection Type to Serial.
Finally click Open. (putty should show a black terminal window now; keep this open!)
If it fails to open a window then you're probably using the wrong COM line or the drivers for your USB to Serial device have not finished installing yet.

Step 4: (set a static IP on the computer)
Attach the ethernet cable from the router to the computer. (Do not use the WAN port)
Open the Network and Connection Settings and set your NIC IPv4 to static.
address: 192.168.1.5
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Step 5: (Saving NVRAM to a text file)
Plug in the router and observe putty on the computer.
If it is showing weird characters, the the serial pins may not be correctly connected.
It should be displaying the boot process of the router.
Tap CTRL+C to stop the boot process and enter the CFE prompt. which looks like this: CFE>
You could technically set up logging from within putty and save the log file but I used the copy/paste method to save the NVRAM.
To display all the keyvalues stored in the NVRAM type:
CFE>
Code:
nvram show

Copy and Paste all these to a text file of your choice. You will need some of the values to create the new CFE.
To display all the NAND memory partitions type:
CFE>
Code:
show devices

Take note of these.

Step 6: (Creating the new boot firmware)
Unrar LOM's modified xvortex_ea6350.rar and check out the readme.txt file.
Start CFEEdit.exe
Click File->Open CFE... and select the xvortex_cfe_ea6350.bin file.
Select the Advanced Mode tab and modify the NVRAM values with the ones you saved in the previous step. (the readme.txt explains which ones to modify).
When finished click File->Save As... and save the file as CFE.bin

Step 7: (Uploading and Installing the new boot firmware)
Open up the Linksys TFTP update utility.
Set the server address to 192.168.1.1 which should be your router's ip address.
Leave the password blank
Select the file CFE.bin that we created in Step 6.
Do NOT click upgrade yet
Go back to putty. If your doing these in sequence the CFE prompt should still be visible in your terminal window.
To upgrade the boot firmware type in the following command.
CFE>
Code:
flash -noheader : nflash0.boot

Go back to TFTP utility and click upgrade and it should show a progress indicator while the file is being uploaded.
I don't know if it was necessary but I also uploaded it to the nflash1.boot partition too with the following command.
CFE>
Code:
flash -noheader : nflash1.boot

Going back to TFTP utility and clicking upgrade again.
There should be no errors in the CFE prompt if the firmware was uploaded and written successfully!

Step 8: (Reboot the router)
In the putty terminal window and still in the CFE prompt.
type reboot and press enter to reboot the router.
The router should restart and the terminal window should show the booting process once again.

Step 9: (Flashing DD-WRT)
Open your computer browser (I used Google Chrome). Be sure to clear your browsers history before continuing.
In the address bar navigate to http://192.168.1.1
If your seeing the CFEWeb interface then your doing great!
The CFEWeb interface only shows for a couple of seconds after rebooting the router.
If your not seeing the CFEWeb interface clear browser history and reboot the router again and refresh the window.
In the CFEWeb interface choose the linksys-ea6350-webflash.bin file.
Click the upload button and wait while DD-WRT is being installed on your router.
It will take a few minutes and the router may reboot several times which is normal.
This is where I went and made some coffee because I new the fun was just beginning.
After a few minutes the DD-WRT change username and password page should be visible.

Step 10: (Clean up)
Disconnect the serial pins from the breakout board or serial cable.
Snap on the router cover.
Screw in the four screws and reinsert the rubber shoes.
Change your computer's NIC back to DHCP IP instead of static IP (optional).
Unplug the breakout board from the USB or serial cable.
Reconnect all your wires to the router and enjoy.

This worked for me... let me know if it works for you too!
Much thanks go to LOM, mrjoneskod, and Google.

Last edited by compgeek127 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 23:05; edited 1 time in total
compgeek127
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13    Post subject: Backing up EA6350 original firmware Reply with quote
If you want to do a full backup before attempting any of the above insert a fat32 formatted flash drive into the back of the router.

Use the serial access same as above but instead of stopping the boot process let it finish.
Wait until it stops spitting out info into the terminal window.
Press enter to get a root shell prompt.

create a temporary folder which will be used as a mount point.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/usbdisk

mount your flash drive (typically /dev/sda1)
Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbdisk

to list the NAND partitions type:
Code:
cat /proc/mtd

using DD to make bit copies of the NAND type: (dd if=/dev/{dev} of=/mnt/usbdisk/{name}.bin)
Code:

dd if=/dev/mtd0 of=/mnt/usbdisk/boot.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd1 of=/mnt/usbdisk/nvram.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd2 of=/mnt/usbdisk/linux.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd3 of=/mnt/usbdisk/rootfs.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd4 of=/mnt/usbdisk/linux2.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd5 of=/mnt/usbdisk/rootfs2.bin
dd if=/dev/mtd6 of=/mnt/usbdisk/brcmnand.bin

unmount drive when your done
Code:
umount /mnt/usbdisk

remove the temporary folder (optional)
Code:
rmdir /mnt/usbdisk

From what I have read it may be possible to flash the new CFE using DD and a USB disk, but I don't entirely trust that method.
Either way Serial Access to the router is required.
~In my opinion TFTP is safer~
magnum226
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those of you who got dd-wrt working on an EA6350 (stock EA6350 or a converted EA6200), what has the most stable build been for you? I am currently having 5gz issues on BS r28598. I see many have posted, or have in their signature, several different builds they are using/used so not sure what to try next. I am open to either BS or Kong.

Any feedback is appreciated!
jelabarre59
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
And it's severely irritating that I have to use (UGH) MSWin to flash this thing???? That means hooking it up in the freezing-cold attic (actually an unfinished 2nd floor) where my only MSWin machine (MSW7) resides.

Ultimately it means I probably won't be hooking up this router for a few days, while I go through the process to get it working (you know, work and such Smile )
compgeek127
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
jelabarre59 wrote:
And it's severely irritating that I have to use (UGH) MSWin to flash this thing???? That means hooking it up in the freezing-cold attic (actually an unfinished 2nd floor) where my only MSWin machine (MSW7) resides.

Ultimately it means I probably won't be hooking up this router for a few days, while I go through the process to get it working (you know, work and such Smile )

It works under linux too. These commands are available under debian, ubuntu, and probably many other distros.

Use ifconfig to set a static ip. Here is an example using the eth0 interface.
Code:

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig eth0 up

Use screen to connect to serial connection. My serial device was on ttyUSB0
Code:

screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Use tftp to upload the new .bin files after using the flash command under CFE
Code:

tftp -l /path/filename.bin -r filename.bin -p 192.168.1.1

** update: still need windows for the CFE editor. sorry Sad **
guillaumedsde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hum,I followed compgeek127's instructions for flashing dd wrt, everything went fine, I followed through without any hitches all the to step 7. The flash went well, without any errors, rebooting the router turns on the light, plugging the ethernet cable, the leds seem to indicate data is flowing, by setting a static IP on my PC I am able to connect to the router, but the router page 192.168.1.1 doesnt show, running arp -a on windows seems to indicate there is only my PC on the network. Do you guys have any suggestions?
compgeek127
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
guillaumedsde wrote:
Hum,I followed compgeek127's instructions for flashing dd wrt, everything went fine, I followed through without any hitches all the to step 7. The flash went well, without any errors, rebooting the router turns on the light, plugging the ethernet cable, the leds seem to indicate data is flowing, by setting a static IP on my PC I am able to connect to the router, but the router page 192.168.1.1 doesnt show, running arp -a on windows seems to indicate there is only my PC on the network. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Is it a EA6350 v2? If it is, there is no firmware for the 2nd version of the EA6350 as far as I know. My guide only covers the original version.

Need to leave your ip static until it's finished flashing.
The CFE miniWeb server only shows for a couple seconds.
Try clearing your history and cache and refresh the page before restarting your router.
The fact that the light is blinking when turning it on is normally a good sign. (That's what mine does)
If none of that works try a hard reset.

Is there any serial output?
Did you leave the serial hooked up after rebooting?
Post serial output if there is any. Can't troubleshoot without any data.
If there is no serial output, then I'm sorry my friend but your router is bricked and the only way to recover it is by using a jtag.
guillaumedsde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
compgeek127 wrote:

Is it a EA6350 v2? If it is, there is no firmware for the 2nd version of the EA6350 as far as I know. My guide only covers the original version.

Need to leave your ip static until it's finished flashing.
The CFE miniWeb server only shows for a couple seconds.
Try clearing your history and cache and refresh the page before restarting your router.
The fact that the light is blinking when turning it on is normally a good sign. (That's what mine does)
If none of that works try a hard reset.

Is there any serial output?
Did you leave the serial hooked up after rebooting?
Post serial output if there is any. Can't troubleshoot without any data.
If there is no serial output, then I'm sorry my friend but your router is bricked and the only way to recover it is by using a jtag.

Oh boy, yeah it is the v2, the light doesnt blink when turned on, it just stays on. I will double check serial output when I get home, but I think the thing is done for, last time I tried I was getting jargon signal from the output, could be that the connection wasnt great, but tbh I think its dead.

Is the JTAG method of re flashing stock complicated?

Its weird though, I didnt imagine the routers could change so much from one revision to the next, do we know what they changed exactly?
guillaumedsde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
guillaumedsde wrote:

Oh boy, yeah it is the v2, the light doesnt blink when turned on, it just stays on. I will double check serial output when I get home, but I think the thing is done for, last time I tried I was getting jargon signal from the output, could be that the connection wasnt great, but tbh I think its dead.

Is the JTAG method of re flashing stock complicated?

Its weird though, I didnt imagine the routers could change so much from one revision to the next, do we know what they changed exactly?

Yeah, it's dead, no signal from the serial pins, RIP, will try RMA
daltaya
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm running into an issue trying to flash an ea6350v3. Stopping the boot process is not getting me to a cfe> prompt. I get an (EA6350v3)# prompt instead and nvram is not an available command. Am I just not quick enough or is this entirely new? The code block is the boot process up to the prompt.

edit: answered below, removing codeblock for scrolling purposes. thanks malachi

Last edited by daltaya on Wed Jan 25, 2017 20:26; edited 2 times in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a Qualcomm atheros chipset. Not Broadcom, there is no cfe.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you guys know what CPU the v2 is using? all I know is that its a dual core but otehr than that no info, also, are you aware of any CFE that works for that nameless CPU?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 27
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: