To DD-WRT or not to DD-WRT (WZR-1750DHP)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jphilebiz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50    Post subject: To DD-WRT or not to DD-WRT (WZR-1750DHP) Reply with quote
Hello all,

I've used DD-WRT over the years and making the hop to a new ISP which means I'll give back Bell Canada's Fibe unit.

I have a Buffalo WZR-1750DHP on hand with stock Buffalo firmware (2.27) and wondering what are the drawbacks for WiFi performance if I go from the stock proprietary firmware to DD-WRT. Must admit am tempted to switch (more options and the firewall is surely more secure).

Usage: 2-story household with 2 teens and 2 adults. The router will be in the basement. I get decent reception on the stock firmware in this context so far.

Any input? Many thanks!

FYI - already got the info I need here to make the hop http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=23045.0
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 14:37    Post subject: Re: To DD-WRT or not to DD-WRT (WZR-1750DHP) Reply with quote
jphilebiz wrote:
I have a Buffalo WZR-1750DHP on hand with stock Buffalo firmware (2.27) and wondering what are the drawbacks for WiFi performance if I go from the stock proprietary firmware to DD-WRT. Must admit am tempted to switch (more options and the firewall is surely more secure).
r27858 is a recommended build in the Peacock announcement; but I would suggest searching for and reading through the various WZR-1750DHP and 'New build' threads to gauge others' success.

If you're not having any particular issues w/ OEM f/w, it is doubtful DD-WRT is going to noticeably improve things. But if you like tweaking things, are willing to risk bricking, and are comfortable with serial/JTAG, then go for it. Smile

I don't mean to sound pessimistic; but I think others tend to be too optimistic w/ their DD expectations. Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: