Troubleshooting sharing internet with long distance users

C2rotary
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:45    Post subject: Troubleshooting sharing internet with long distance users Reply with quote
I have a pretty extensive network and have been trying to share some of my bandwidth with a good friend down the road. But I can't seem to get it working correctly.

There is nothing in between the antennas (no trees or homes, think country)

How do I setup these two routers to talk to each other and provide a DHCP to connecting users that are trying to connect to the internet only I don't want them to see my computers on my sub nets.

See the attached picture for a better understanding, both routers that are 1000ft away have directional ant so signal should not be the problem
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set ack timing appropriately? That's the first thing that comes to mind if they can see each other, but not connect over a long distance.
C2rotary
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good point! I will check on that

Any other ideas...
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally, to keep the other network separate I would put a vlan on a port on your gateway router this port can be assigned to a new bridge with dhcp. Your first wrt54g will then be set as an AP. A firewall rule can be set at the gateway to keep the bridges separate, and if needed, you can enable QoS to limit that subnet's total throughput. With this setup they won't be able to access your network, and the traffic won't even pass through your network. It will go straight to the gateway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: