AC66U NVRAM issues [h̶a̶s ̶n̶o̶ ̶5̶G̶H̶z̶]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:40    Post subject: AC66U NVRAM issues [h̶a̶s ̶n̶o̶ ̶5̶G̶H̶z̶] Reply with quote
[5GHz problem has been fixed with a workaround, major NVRAM issues remeining]

I can't see a 5GHz option on the AC66U whatsoever. This is what I've got.

I'm definitely a novice, and it just so happens that I did not know that AC only exists on 5GHz, I just assumed devices I had never supported it. I found this out because a new Wifi AC adapter I bought isn't seeing the 5GHz network (or the N TurboQAM 256). And it absolutely should if it exists. When I went to check the settings for it... I realized it didn't exist!

The adapter is an Alfa awus036ach. I can only connect at 144mbps.

You can see the FW info, etc. in the screenshot. I did a 30/30/30 reset before flash, reset to default settings, THEN loaded settings backup. I flashed from 27858 to 28054.

Last edited by cookieboyeli on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:29; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a known issue with this router. Don't do a 30/30/30 reset or erase nvram. Only reset from the GUI.

Go back to 26300 and reset
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-23-2015-r26339/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-26339-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

Then flash 28054 without resetting.
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
This is a known issue with this router. Don't do a 30/30/30 reset or erase nvram. Only reset from the GUI.

Go back to 26300 and reset
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-23-2015-r26339/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-26339-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

Then flash 28054 without resetting.

Jeez this model has a lot of issues. I'm also having old settings pup back up that I thought were long gone. THis must be the reason why! Thank you.

jrscs says this about the issue as well:
Quote:
** Builds after 26339 when erasing NVRAM in telnet session or Power UP Reset, resets 5.0 GHz radio to 2.4 GHz radios – To recover return to 26339 ***
*** Builds after 26339 use the Administration >> Factory Defaults tab in the GUI to reset NVRAM ***
*** Since 27343 the following command needs to be included in the Start-up script, ‘sleep 5; startstop lan’ to allow the 5 Ghz to connent to the main AP in Repeater Bride mode when rebooting. Thanks to Magnetron 1.1 for putting in forum topic ***

I think I'll be keeping a copy of 26339 handy from now on. The last time I tried to deal with this router the advice was to flash back to Asus official, clean nvram, and then go back to dd-wrt. That cleared the settings corruption in combination with reinstalling Google Chrome.

Thanks again, I'll try this soon!

EDIT: Is this entirely to do with DD-WRT or the router itself? Could it be fixed if it was given attention?
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
In regards to:
Quote:
Since 27343 the following command needs to be included in the Start-up script, ‘sleep 5; startstop lan’ to allow the 5 Ghz to connent to the main AP in Repeater Bride mode when rebooting.

How do I set a start up script?

Also, can I only erase NVRAM from the GUI in 26339 or can I use the same method in newer firmware like 28072?
jrscs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
cookieboyeli wrote:
In regards to:
Quote:
Since 27343 the following command needs to be included in the Start-up script, ‘sleep 5; startstop lan’ to allow the 5 Ghz to connent to the main AP in Repeater Bride mode when rebooting.

Also, can I only erase NVRAM from the GUI in 26339 or can I use the same method in newer firmware like 28072?

To add the script to the startup, go to Administration>>Commands. Enter the script in the commands text box and click the <<Save Startup>> button.

The safest way to not get confused on the AC66U would be to 'only' erase NVRAM starting with 26339 and newer from the GUI.

Netgear R6400v2otp
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrscs wrote:
cookieboyeli wrote:
In regards to:
Quote:

To add the script to the startup, go to Administration>>Commands. Enter the script in the commands text box and click the <<Save Startup>> button.

The safest way to not get confused on the AC66U would be to 'only' erase NVRAM starting with 26339 and newer from the GUI.

I erased it on 26339 then upgraded to 28072 without resetting or anything. What I'm asking is, when I erase the NVRAM from the GUI (Administration >> Factory Defaults ONLY - I know) should I always erase AFTER flashing? (And before if I want or is that necessary too?)

I just want to be clear I'm doing it 100% correctly as I'm still having some major issues.
This did correct the 5GHz issue without regression, but an issue I've been dealing with right along has come back a day after flashing (was there before flashing).

I wrote in an older thread here: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282885&

Essentially the problem is when I click the Administration tab, settings from 6+ months ago show up. If I hit apply, they'll try to apply but won't quite make it. They usually immediately reboot the device even if the device is already on those exact settings, not requiring a reboot to switch to them!

More often than not this reverts me back to a corrupted stock after rebooting many times. During the reboots the Asus mini CFE is available for a few moments before it loads up the firmware. Sometimes it appears to reboot ok, but the password has changed into something I never entered/knew, locking me out until I can manage to get the CFE again by sheer luck.

Before clicking administration tab:

After clicking Administration tab:

(Damn. It didn't align...)

How did this survive the NVRAM clearing? It couldn't have. The NVRAM still isn't clearing properly! (Though it is clearing "more". Rolling Eyes

Because of this, I can't risk selecting or adding anything anything on this page or else it may obliterate my installation. (Some things do, some things don't, I'd rather not find out the hard way).
jrscs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
What browser are you using and try clearing your browser cache.

Jumping that many build numbers I would erase the NVRAM before and after the upgrade.

Netgear R6400v2otp
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrscs wrote:
What browser are you using and try clearing your browser cache.

Jumping that many build numbers I would erase the NVRAM before and after the upgrade.

I'll clean it again tomorrow (today?), the build and the browser!

I'm running the latest build of Google Chrome x64. (46.0.2490.80). We've been through this before though. It worked temporarily, but it has come back. I used CCEnhancer and cleaned my profile of everything manually. It happens on all browsers in different ways. Definitely the NVRAM not clearing...
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
there was a complaint about this router having faulty memory chips. One user had endless grief trying to format part of the memory for JFFS. Maybe your router's memory chips is defective in a similar way.

I have an RT-AC66R(it;s a refurb of the U) running 28072 Giga. I guess I;ve been fortunate to not have the issues others are having. My LG G2 phone reports that over 5g it;s connecting at 200 mbps. that;s an improvement to the 86 mbps it was reporting on 27858

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
there was a complaint about this router having faulty memory chips. One user had endless grief trying to format part of the memory for JFFS. Maybe your router's memory chips is defective in a similar way.

I have an RT-AC66R(it;s a refurb of the U) running 28072 Giga. I guess I;ve been fortunate to not have the issues others are having. My LG G2 phone reports that over 5g it;s connecting at 200 mbps. that;s an improvement to the 86 mbps it was reporting on 27858

Do you know if all models are affected or if only a certain degree are? I got mine pretty early on. September 29th 2012 to be exact. Cost me $200.

Isn't it possible to change the CFE/bootloader? I'd like to swap mine out with a more reliable version if possible. This one gives me nothing but grief when I upgrade the firmware. (Correctly)

I bought a used one at $70 a customer recently, it had a completely different CFE in it but has the same issues with the firmware. It also ran EXTREMELY hot to the touch, close to 68-70c instead of 52-55c.

It's a bit irritating how much variance there seems to be between models.

So is there anything else that can be done? What are my options?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Telnet or ssh into the router and issue the "dmesg" command. It will print the startup log.
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Telnet or ssh into the router and issue the "dmesg" command. It will print the startup log.
I tried telnet, but I can't get past the password. It doesn't accept anything except enter. I am positive I typed the password correctly multiple times. It's just not accepting input. I've never used SSH...
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The user is root.

Telnet root@192.168.1.1
cookieboyeli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
The user is root.

Telnet root@192.168.1.1

Why would the User be root? I already have a username and password.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
cookieboyeli wrote:
Why would the User be root? I already have a username and password.

User name is indeed "root" http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Telnet/SSH_and_the_Command_Line#Using_Telnet
I recommend using WinSCP to SSH: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: