Asus WL-500W Intermittent wireless

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tessian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:05    Post subject: Asus WL-500W Intermittent wireless Reply with quote
I'm a recently convert to DD-WRT so please bear with me.

I'm running v54 RC6 on a brand new Asus WL-500W. Had some issues getting it to stay up, but now I seem to just have this intermittent issue.

Today and yesterday I've noticed the wireless drop in and out for a good 20-30 minutes. The router shows no problems but all wireless clients (1 blackberry and 2 laptops) drop out and come back on sparingly. Yesterday it happened a lot longer (a good 30 minutes at least with no wireless) and I tried changing the channel, resetting the WPA2 key, rebooting... finally it took. This time it happened and just seemed to be a few times in a short period of time. Wired clients are unaffected.

Any idea why something like this would happen? I'm tempted to try rolling back to RC5 but don't know if even that would work without blowing the config out?
Sponsor
darik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same problem here. Have you found a solution yet?

I've tested the new asus firmware 2.0.0.1 + wpa encryption and the router seems to work just well, so I guess is not a hardware problem.

I believe that wland and probably nas have something to with this.

Using wired client, ssh to the router and try to restart wland when this occur. Wireless clients should connect back.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 15:47    Post subject: Re: Asus WL-500W Intermittent wireless Reply with quote
Tessian wrote:
I'm a recently convert to DD-WRT so please bear with me.

I'm running v54 RC6 on a brand new Asus WL-500W. Had some issues getting it to stay up, but now I seem to just have this intermittent issue.

Today and yesterday I've noticed the wireless drop in and out for a good 20-30 minutes. The router shows no problems but all wireless clients (1 blackberry and 2 laptops) drop out and come back on sparingly. Yesterday it happened a lot longer (a good 30 minutes at least with no wireless) and I tried changing the channel, resetting the WPA2 key, rebooting... finally it took. This time it happened and just seemed to be a few times in a short period of time. Wired clients are unaffected.

Any idea why something like this would happen? I'm tempted to try rolling back to RC5 but don't know if even that would work without blowing the config out?

I have the same issue. When I'm on ethernet the connection works perfect, but the wireless drops constantly. The wireless rate is at 130mb and as soon as I connect to the wireless the rate goes down to 1mb or 2mb. I have tried to use it only in G mode but it has the same problem. I also tried OLEG's firmware, which is a custom ASUS firmware and the wireless worked fine. Sorry for my bad english.
darik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK guys, as I said I belive that wland is the problem.

Try this and report back.

Add following command in "Administration/Commands"

Code:

`until [ 2 = 1 ]; do /usr/bin/killall wland; /bin/sleep 3; /sbin/wland; /bin/sleep 3600; done` &

And click "Save Startup"

This code restarts wland every hour.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to have the same issue. FTPing in particular would always cause it to crash and cause my wireless light to switch off but ftping over ethernet would be fine. But about a week and a half ago, I switched from the mini & standard builds to the NEWD mega builds, enabled swap on my USB drive, and fixed a Vista RFC 1323 issue which can cause some routers to crash, which I have found includes DD-WRT. So one of these things fixed it for me. Before doing the above 3, trying to FTP anything remotely large @500MB would crash my wireless, now I am able to FTP 8GB files with not a hitch.

Are any of you using Vista by any chance? If so clear out the TCP settings from your registry and set them all to their defaults and follow the steps outlined in various RFC 1323 Vista articles.

The WL-500W is the ultimate router for DD-WRT IMO. With the latest builds it is even possible to use 128MB of RAM if you performed the RAM mod. I now have 2 WL-500Ws modded with 128MB of RAM and clocked the Broadcom CPU to the Broadcom spec of 300Mhz. Along with a 32GB flash stick it is like having a ultra low power consumption, zero noise, linux box.
Tessian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=157848

Actually been discussing in this thread above about the issue... I just now put in RC-7 and hoping that helped. One thing I'm noticing, however, is my wired desktop is getting its AIM connection reset every so often and I can't figure out why.

particleman, what are you talking about with the "Vista RFC1323 issue" ?? Actually I have a Vista desktop and a Vista laptop on the network (and a few days this week I had a 2nd Vista desktop too). I'll have to google it and see wtf this issue is...
particleman78
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are some articles about the RFC 1323 issue

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/03/vista-users-beware-of-the-firewall

Some vista users from another forum describing the exact same issue that you guys have and I had, with other routers:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/127927-using-wireless-ethernet-bridge-vista.html

I also came across an official Microsoft support KB that stated that it can crash some routers, and that article suggested replacing the router with a newer Vista compliant router as one of the solutions Rolling Eyes Can't find that article right now though.

What pointed me to start thinking it was Vista was there were a couple of Websites I could not access on my Vista machine, even though I could ping them etc. One of them was http://openwrt.org/ for a while I actually thought that DD-WRT didn't want users going to openwrt or something. Out of curiosity can you get on that website? I can now but before I used the workaround for RFC 1323 I could not. It got to a boiling point to me when sometimes the wireless would die just minutes after rebooting the router so it was either I find a solution or stop using DD-WRT or any OpenWRT variant.

*Note just changing the TCP recieve window autotuning setting although it helped did not resolve the issue entirely at first, on my system there must have been some other tcp settings messed up and I had to reset all my TCP parameters to their defaults in the registry.

If it is the RFC 1323 issue one of us should probably submitt a ticket to the DD-WRT trac.
Tessian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked at those articles but didn't really see a work around or a KB to go after.

WL-500W IS Vista compliant though, and yes I can go to openwrt.org on the desktop and the laptop (laptop I tried going to it on IE and Firefox). I don't see how it's Vista doing it if this is even now occuring over night when only my desktop and blackberry are on. I woke up today and AIM tells me I've been online for 5 hours (I went to bed 9 hours ago) so I don't know wtf is causing its drops now too. The wired drops seem almost undetectable except that I sign off and right back onto aim.
Tessian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
darik wrote:

Code:

`until [ 2 = 1 ]; do /usr/bin/killall wland; /bin/sleep 3; /sbin/wland; /bin/sleep 3600; done` &

And click "Save Startup"

Won't that kick wireless users off every hour then?
darik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tessian wrote:
darik wrote:

Code:

And click "Save Startup"

Won't that kick wireless users off every hour then?

No, it listens for new connections. This helped me a bit in RC5-RC6 but didn't solve the problem completely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since yesterday I haven't had any problems... the only thing I had done was disable STP again
Fuzzy Dinosaur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:07    Post subject: Another suggestion Reply with quote
I had a similar problem to the first post.

A. I have an Asus wl500w the wireless would have a decent throughput 24 to 48 Mbps then it would drop to 2 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps after a time and stay there.

B. Resetting the wireless would fix it, for a short time.

C. I researched and found out about gmode and gmode_protection under telnet commands

I disabled gmode_protection by telneting into the wl500w
problem solved for me

PS
put router on empty channel 1,6,11 in U.S. , keep it away from E.M.F. producing sources, I set wireless to g mode only, other settings default

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool mega
khael
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
i would like to buy this router!
sorry but i don't understand if you have solved problems!
it works correctly?
thanks and sorry for my bad english
khael
RustyNail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 15:18    Post subject: Re: Another suggestion Reply with quote
I recently bought a WL-500W router because it was supported by DD-WRT and looked like an overall good product.

Immediately upon opening the package, I re-flashed to v.24-SP1 mega (of course following the instructions). All went well, but the performance is terribly slow. It runs at 1/6th the speed of my Linksys WRT-54GL.

I have turned everything off that could possibly effect performance and made various other changes without improving speed. This comment sounds like my problem.

Can you expand on what you are doing during the telnet session to disable gmode_protection.

Thanks.

Fuzzy Dinosaur wrote:
I had a similar problem to the first post.

A. I have an Asus wl500w the wireless would have a decent throughput 24 to 48 Mbps then it would drop to 2 Mbps to 5.5 Mbps after a time and stay there.

B. Resetting the wireless would fix it, for a short time.

C. I researched and found out about gmode and gmode_protection under telnet commands

I disabled gmode_protection by telneting into the wl500w
problem solved for me

PS
put router on empty channel 1,6,11 in U.S. , keep it away from E.M.F. producing sources, I set wireless to g mode only, other settings default

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool mega
Fuzzy Dinosaur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 17:44    Post subject: Disable g_mode_protection Reply with quote
A list of commands to use with wl500w is here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32832&highlight=&sid=85d6c64c9272f2e6bedab356919bf2a0

To disable gmode_protection
from wl500w dd-wrt command line try

"gmode_protection disable"

I had terrible trouble with the wl500w until I got it setup correctly.

Now it works well
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: