R7000 rebooting every 2 minutes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
theRKF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 18:05    Post subject: R7000 rebooting every 2 minutes Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone here can offer some wisdom as to how to deal with a problem with my Netgear R7000. I've done the Google thing, plus searched this forum, and didn't come up with any solutions yet.

I've been running dd-wrt on the R7000 since June of this year, but as of yesterday the router has started rebooting approximately every two minutes.

Aside from occasional changes to the wireless settings I haven't changed any settings, etc., since setup 6 months ago.

The current firmware version is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/08/14) kongac

I thought about trying to flash the latest firmware (via http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-10-26-15-netgear-r7000) but I'm concerned that with the frequent rebooting the flash could be interrupted and that would make things worse.

Are there any troubleshooting steps you can recommend? I've worked in IT for years, but routers and firmware are outside of my sweet spot. Looking for input from people with more experience.

Thanks!
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 20:59    Post subject: Re: R7000 rebooting every 2 minutes Reply with quote
theRKF wrote:
I'm hoping someone here can offer some wisdom as to how to deal with a problem with my Netgear R7000. I've done the Google thing, plus searched this forum, and didn't come up with any solutions yet.

I've been running dd-wrt on the R7000 since June of this year, but as of yesterday the router has started rebooting approximately every two minutes.

Aside from occasional changes to the wireless settings I haven't changed any settings, etc., since setup 6 months ago.

The current firmware version is DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/08/14) kongac

I thought about trying to flash the latest firmware (via http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-kong-mod-10-26-15-netgear-r7000) but I'm concerned that with the frequent rebooting the flash could be interrupted and that would make things worse.

Are there any troubleshooting steps you can recommend? I've worked in IT for years, but routers and firmware are outside of my sweet spot. Looking for input from people with more experience.

Thanks!

Maybe nvram is messed up, first thing I'd try is to power on the unit, after 2 sec press and hold the reset button for 20s, you should see by the lights, that it reboots, after that nvram should be cleared. Now it either works again or you have some bigger problem which can only be checked if you attach a serial cable to it so you can see debug from the board.
theRKF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thanks Kong.

I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
theRKF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 15:02    Post subject: A quick update Reply with quote
I haven't tested Kong's solution yet, as the router has been up for almost 17 hours, now.

In reading various blogs and forums I've read of reports of random reboots caused by some 2.4GHz clients (Ex: Step 1 here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/?ALLSTEPS).

The Peacock thread mentioned this as well, including a command to run that has been reported to fix the issue - but that command didn't help. Based on that I rejected the 2.4GHz issue as the cause ...

But right about the time of the original post I also turned off the SSID broadcast for the 2.4 interface, and the router stabilized. Which is weird, since we don't have any new wireless clients.

The Instructables link I referenced above mentions rolling back to an earlier build to try and avoid this problem. I'm currently on 25100M, but the article mentions using 24865M, or even going to 24345M to avoid the problem. I've even seen posts referencing 23900M

However, the Kong R7000 Best Practices thread mentions a newer build (Feb 2015) with better Broadcom drivers to address this - but doesn't mention the actual build number to look for.

So if my reboots are related to the 2.4GHz issue, and suddenly after 6 months one of our devices has decided not to play nicely with the router, what's the best build number to use?

PS: Activating the SSID broadcast on the 2.4GHz interface triggered the reboots again. By early process of elimination it looks like it's my Dropcam that's not behaving.
theRKF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back in December I switched to build 24345M (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/13/14) kongac), and managed to keep the device stable for about a month and a half.

Today the device started rebooting again, though not as frequently as it did before.

I've turned off the 2.4GHz broadcast again to see if that helps.

I'll ask again, though, can anyone recommend a build number that is known to be really stable on the R7000?
mystykmax
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
theRKF wrote:
Back in December I switched to build 24345M (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/13/14) kongac), and managed to keep the device stable for about a month and a half.

Today the device started rebooting again, though not as frequently as it did before.

I've turned off the 2.4GHz broadcast again to see if that helps.

I'll ask again, though, can anyone recommend a build number that is known to be really stable on the R7000?

I'm using 28942 and it's very stable for my usage. Remember to choose reset all settings on the upgrade because it's a lot of space between the two.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289356
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: