Basic DD-WRT Install FAQ for WRT1900AC?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
dbman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I can change the default router password, but can I change the default router user from "admin" to something else?
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
dbman wrote:
I know I can change the default router password, but can I change the default router user from "admin" to something else?

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Following the instructions above about flashing it to DD-WRT, how does it know what partition to flash it on? For first time flashing, how does it know to flash it to the non-stock partition? Or is it just lucky that it doesn't flash to the stock partition? Or do both partitions have factory stock FW on them from the getgo and that is why it doesn't matter the first time?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It flashes to the partition that you are not on at the time.
You may want to stick with linksys firmware.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 18:57    Post subject: Upgrading Firmware Reply with quote
I had a question about updating the firmware. Last year i first time install v3.0-r30880M kongmv, since then i haven't had many issues except for the Samba occasionally stopping. Not a big deal but when away from home, and im not able to access my Nas drive gets annoying. So i was wondering if the latest Kong version has had this issue fixed? And if so what would be the best way of upgrading it? Is it better to just return to stock and reflash a new version or to upgrade it (bin)?
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my opinion(for what its worth), it is safer and better to telnet in and reboot into the linksys partition. Then flash full 3rd party software image from the Linksys gui. if you are running a 3rd party software and use their upgrade process, you overwrite the Linksys image.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
Kailen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh ok, that's what ai figured, i tend to always double check with other just in case. Does it make a difference to reset to factory for the dd-wrt before booting back to stock and reflashing?

Also i was curious to know what the best method to finding out the most stable or best choice of version to choose from? Since there are 3 sources now? and a ton of different updates i'm unable to find any update info on.

Thanks for the clarification
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont reset. All my settings stay. When i boot back into Linksys, my settings are there. When i flash ddwrt from Linksys gui, ddwrt boots with all my settings, including all my custom rules etc.

almost 24hr on the new ddwrt image

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
crimghost
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently on stock firmware and want to try a specific BS build, but all of his latest builds include 2 files.
ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900ac-webflash.bin
factory-to-ddwrt.bin
We can't go from linksys to ddwrt from a .bin though. Very confused. I don't want to brick. I don't have a jtag cable.
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
crimghost wrote:
I'm currently on stock firmware and want to try a specific BS build, but all of his latest builds include 2 files.
factory-to-ddwrt.bin
We can't go from linksys to ddwrt from a .bin though. Very confused. I don't want to brick. I don't have a jtag cable.

He changed that a while ago, you can rename the factory.bin to .img if you want to.
The factory.bin works fine going through the Linksys update, it will complain it's not a recognized file or something like that.
You probably already know the webflash.bin is for flashing within DD-WRT, which would overwrite the Linksys partition.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
MystaMagoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
ATHF wrote:
crimghost wrote:
factory-to-ddwrt.bin

He changed that a while ago, you can rename the factory.bin to .img if you want to.
The factory.bin works fine going through the Linksys update, it will complain it's not a recognized file or something like that.
You probably already know the webflash.bin is for flashing within DD-WRT, which would overwrite the Linksys partition.

I thought the webflash.bin was for updating DD-WRT rather than flashing the other partition?
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
MystaMagoo wrote:
ATHF wrote:
crimghost wrote:
factory-to-ddwrt.bin

I thought the webflash.bin was for updating DD-WRT rather than flashing the other partition?

You are correct that the webflash.bin is used for updates. Updates are done within the DD-WRT UI. Now the important to know if you do not already.

The WRT's have 2 partitions. When you flash new firmware the inactive partition is where the new flash goes not to the currently active partition. Simple rule, flash always goes to the inactive partition whether new install or update. This is a safety feature so that if there is a bad flash you can get back to a good flash.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
cowhow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread has explained a lot about how to boot into the inactive partition. But, once I've booted into the second, stock firmware, partition how do i boot back into DD-WRT? I'm not that familiar with the stock firmware, so is there a command window or would I telnet into the router?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Under troubleshooting there is an option to restore previous firmware.
That will boot into the other partition.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Malachi. That clears it up.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 19
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: