New build: DD-WRT v3.0 --- 28493 --- 2015/12/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
keen4fan wrote:
The reason why you would erase nvram ( before and ) after a firmware upgrade, is because not all router models clear their configuration areas properly.
Some believe it to be waste of time to erase the nvram....others, like me, tend to have the attide of being "better safe than sorry".
And for now, it seems like it have helped me. So I will continue to erase nvram before and after firmware upgrade,
until I get other ideas Smile

I see that erase nvram and then manually re-configuring might make sense -- the things the firmware staores in nvram might have been re-organised.

However some people recommend erasing the nvram and then re-loading your saved configuration.

This seems like nonsense. The saved file looks to be the entire nvram in binary format so erasing and re-loading it makes ZERO sense.

Incidentally I would love it if the format of the saved configuration file could be changed to human readable. Hint hint devs - do you read this?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
the whole erasing nvram thing before &/or after upgrading is a complete garbage myth that went wild for whatever reason despite being proved time & time again its not going to fix ur incorrectly set wifi settings, or ur aweful isp modem's dhcp issues, or the broken language translation.

its just tossed around & some believe it as much as some believe earth is flat, if i had to pick a part thats the worst about it, is the do it BEFORE updating part, brains, logic & common sense is out the window there..some broadcoms even BRICK when doing it but nope some still live & breathe triple 30 reset that nvram twice per upgrade all day every day, hilarious..even the developers laughed at those who believe this already, called it "bullshit", exactly what it is.

u can even save a config from router a & put it on router b thats a different unit, works? yes. but that sparks a bunch of people on the "not supposed to do that" bandwagon to jump on u, when most probably never even tried it..there was lots of work done a ways back specifically for making that now a doable thing.

beliefs & myths..like how wifi is "radiating us sick" & more..thats another thing floating around too that thankfully, much less are onboard about.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
well i believe that erase ram does the good thing prior to 30/30/30 reset, there is a logic if there is still some leftovers, in the nvram, and i had a problems with too many updates in row and not clearing the nvram, so far its working fine 28493, but it bricked my router after i upgraded to it so i had to erase nvram and redo it again so far so good im happy chappy running 28493 Smile
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Jack82
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros.. careful.. you'll step on someone's toes Laughing only beliefs and myths Laughing and bullshit too! Laughing wait! forgot about garbage as well.. Razz
mahin.hasan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: TL-WR740N v4
Firmware: 28493
Reset: no/yes
Errors: 802.11g devices has speed lagging issue. gets very slow speed from router. other 802.11n devices working fine.

my wireless setting:

wireless mode: mixed
channel width: wide ht40
wireless channel: auto
security mode: wpa2 personal mixed
wpa algorithms: aes
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: WZR-HP-G300NH
Firmware: 28493 (from 28444)
Kernel:
Reset: erased nvram before and after TFTP'ing 28493
Errors: none that concern my normal use.

IPv6 address isn't properly formed and shown in the GUI (top right). Windows shows a properly formed address, but 'No Internet Access' for IPv6; it used to work with the IPv6 settings I use in dd-wrt, but maybe the ISP doesn't like me enabling and disabling IPv6 repeatedly.

The following may be Windows (7) related:
When IPv6 is enabled, DNS lookup of devices in my own domain doesn't work; I have to use IP(v4) addresses instead; at the same time on my iPhone (iOS9.2) LAN device names (with or w/o domain name) do get interpreted properly.
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:

When IPv6 is enabled, DNS lookup of devices in my own domain doesn't work; I have to use IP(v4) addresses instead; at the same time on my iPhone (iOS9.2) LAN device names (with or w/o domain name) do get interpreted properly.

With Chromium in Ubuntu 15.10 DNS lookup with IPv6 enabled on the router works fine, too. Just Windows 7 seems to have a problem there.
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
IPv6 address isn't properly formed and shown in the GUI (top right).

I should have written:
The IPv6 address shown in the GUI doesn't look right to me, because it looks very different from the IPv6 for my notebook, but I can easily be quite wrong ... It's much longer (8 parts) than the one for my notebook (6 parts).

I would like to keep IPv6 enabled, but it was suggested somewhere on this forum there is no firewall protection for IPv6 in DD-WRT that can be activated in the GUI, so I'm afraid to keep it enabled for long.

Just checking if I can find IPv6 settings that work for this seemingly ever more elusive moment when the ISP finally takes the IP bull by the horns ...
bdg2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
ArjenR49 wrote:
IPv6 address isn't properly formed and shown in the GUI (top right).

I should have written:
The IPv6 address shown in the GUI doesn't look right to me, because it looks very different from the IPv6 for my notebook, but I can easily be quite wrong ... It's much longer (8 parts) than the one for my notebook (6 parts).

I would like to keep IPv6 enabled, but it was suggested somewhere on this forum there is no firewall protection for IPv6 in DD-WRT that can be activated in the GUI, so I'm afraid to keep it enabled for long.

Just checking if I can find IPv6 settings that work for this seemingly ever more elusive moment when the ISP finally takes the IP bull by the horns ...

There is an IPv6 version of something along the lines of Steve Gibson's "Shields Up" here:
http://www6.chappell-family.co.uk/cgi-bin6/ipscan-fast-js.cgi
(Shields Up is at grc.com).

It can send IPv6 packets to the IPv6 address of your computer and tell you if there was any response.

I find that using dd-wrt to provide IPv6 on my LAN using a tunnelbroker.net tunnel there is definitely a firewall somewhere in the system. But I don't know for sure if dd-wrt provides it or if something else is doing it.
DeathReaper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
Firmware: 28493 (from 28444)
Kernel:
Reset: erased nvram before and after TFTP'ing 28493
Errors: none that concern my normal use.

IPv6 address isn't properly formed and shown in the GUI (top right). Windows shows a properly formed address, but 'No Internet Access' for IPv6; it used to work with the IPv6 settings I use in dd-wrt, but maybe the ISP doesn't like me enabling and disabling IPv6 repeatedly.

You need to run and then save to firewall the script below
Quote:
iptables -I INPUT 2 -p ipv6 -i vlan1 -j ACCEPT

If you are using DHCPv6 with prefix delegation, you need to enable radvd and disable Dhcp6c custom, Dhcp6s, and Dhcp6s

After you made all the changes, reboot your router from the management.
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help!
I set IPv6 and firewall up as you suggested. Based on what information my isp gives on its IPv6 services I used a prefix length of 56.
My router now passed the tests of the test sites I have been using and what I had links for.
It's too late at night now to do more testing ...
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Having enabled IPv6 with the settings (incl. firewall command) as advised per the above in this thread, I got an average loss of 100% for IPv4 as expected (setting in dd-wrt gui) from the ping test of http://ipv6-test.com/, but for IPv6 the average loss was 0,00% with a response time of 56 ms.

The score on the main test page (connectivity, browser & DNS) was very good at 18/20. The remaining problems weren't flagged and I couldn't figure out what they might be.

Is it possible to block pinging with IPv6 in dd-wrt build 28394?
NicK_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Router: TP-LINK WR1043ND v1.8
Errors: Few, but that does not affect anything.
Reset: erase nvam & reboot

-------------------------------------------
I know there are still a few things, but you will build on the site of the tab 'Router Database'?

Sorry for my bad english
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArjenR49 wrote:
Having enabled IPv6 with the settings (incl. firewall command) as advised per the above in this thread, I got an average loss of 100% for IPv4 as expected (setting in dd-wrt gui) from the ping test of http://ipv6-test.com/, but for IPv6 the average loss was 0,00% with a response time of 56 ms.

The score on the main test page (connectivity, browser & DNS) was very good at 18/20. The remaining problems weren't flagged and I couldn't figure out what they might be.

Is it possible to block pinging with IPv6 in dd-wrt build 28394?

It is normal to have ping loss of 100% for IPv4 when "Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping)" is checked on Security/Firewall tab (DD-WRT firewall DROPs echo request on INPUT chain)...

About icmpv6: you do not want to block it because ipv6 heavily relays on icmpv6 maybe just filter it (limit number of echo replies per seconds) to stop DOS (denial of service) attack. If you block it, you will have some other issues... If I understand you, what concerns you is ipv6 security under ddwrt?
ArjenR49
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Mile-Lile"]
ArjenR49 wrote:

About icmpv6: you do not want to block it because ipv6 heavily relays on icmpv6 maybe just filter it (limit number of echo replies per seconds) to stop DOS (denial of service) attack. If you block it, you will have some other issues... If I understand you, what concerns you is ipv6 security under ddwrt?

Thanks for explaining. I have done a few online port scans both to my router's IPv6 address and that of a notebook on my LAN. I'm satisfied with the results.
I'm not expecting a dos attack since I'm not running any server.
I also checked the IPv6 addresses of a few devices on my lan and even though they differ widely in the last 4 parts of the address, they belong to the same subnet that my ISP assigned. It all seems to be quite ok.

In my earlier attempts I tried the dd-wrt gui setting for sequential IPv6-addresses with dhcp6s. It seemed to work, but it may also have had less desirable side-effects.
It is appealing to have addresses in sequence instead of vastly apart, although it should make no difference in how things work.
Sometimes it looked like the same address from the sequence was claimed by two devices on my LAN. Windows issued a warning on one of our notebooks, which is how I found out.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: