TCP Vegas makes QoS unnecessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks, cause it was stated in the OP that QoS should be disabled.

But if I'm correct I could leave QoS enabled and set my max up/down to 0 in order to get it working?
Cause I get double the speed at night from 00.00 to 07.00.

Donater
Sponsor
mrdally204
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has there been a negative side effect to this yet? Advantages/Disadvantages to using with or without QOS.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally don't use the QoS now that I have been using TCP_Vegas. The QoS will still function, but for me I figured Why throttle it back with QoS when Vegas already manages the traffic/packets.

It may be specific to my particular setup that just the Vegas is working so well. I am only using it to manage a few computers connected while FiOS Video on Demand is running. I have had no issues with VoD drops/pixilation while normal browsing with my home network. And...this is FiOS VoD in High Def pulling down 15-16Mbps for video on a 20M line.

If you are using VoIP...it might be necessary to use QoS to manage additional traffic. I'll let others comment on this since I am not using VoIP.

But....to quantify my answer above....I have tried QoS at the same time as Vegas....They will play together.

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the thought out answer. I often find myself playing on xbox live while downloading from news groups or every now and then BT so maybe using a combination of both might be best. I also rely on my internet connection for VOIP calls. One last question, I'm not really having any issues at the moment, should I even attempt this? Its one of those if its not broke dont fix it kind of things but I do want to get the best possible internet experience I can.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrdally204 wrote:
One last question, I'm not really having any issues at the moment, should I even attempt this? Its one of those if its not broke dont fix it kind of things but I do want to get the best possible internet experience I can.

I've been using TCP_Vegas with my cable connection for awhile now. I use it quite a bit for work (near constant VPN connection), some streaming (YouTube and a lot of flash games from Noggin.com), and some Bittorrent. I do not have QOS enabled. My router is a WRT54GL with v24 VPN final on it.

I wasn't really seeing any problems before I enabled it, but I have noticed some improvement in my phone quality and my RDP sessions.

It may be the placebo effect, but it also doesn't seem to have hurt anything, so there's no harm in trying it. At worst, you just clear those lines from the firewall script.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've enabled tcp_vegas and set my max up/down bandwidth to 0. Normally this resulted in a not quite functional QoS with high latencies.

Now that I've enabled tcp_vegas I can download at full speed and still have a latency of 32 ms, without download 14 ms. This is way better than without QoS.

Donater
mrdally204
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
by setting your bandwidth up/down to 0, how will QOS know when to throttle back speed from Bulk traffic (P2P) when something premium (VOIP,Xbox Live) needs the extra bandwidth. It almost seems like setting it to 0 is basically disabling your QOS settings as it knows not where the ceiling is with your bandwidth. Please correct me if I am wrong.
olmari
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrdally204, even when QoS doesn't 'know' max speed, it can still place VOIP packets before bulk traffic.
Eleo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to be an idiot, but I just wanted someone to clarify. I read the entire thread. I've been trying to use QoS to make it so that when someone is torrenting or going on a YouTube-binge my Xbox Live games would not suffer from lag. I never had success in that respect because it never made any difference (or more recently made it impossible for me to get a WAN IP) and whoever was downloading anything would always cause my games to lag. So will TCP Vegas somehow handle this for me?

We have five people on our LAN and I've been forever trying to find a way so that no one user steals all the bandwidth... Most ideally if five people were downloading or uploading the bandwidth would be split equally five ways, but I've never gotten things to work that way.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I told that I have set my up/down rate to 0. I've stumbled across a problem, bulk traffic doesn't do squat now :P

When I disable QoS completely and use tcp_vegas instead it does work again (duh) but my latencies are way higher then with QoS enabled.
The reason I have set my up/down rate to 0 is that my speed gets almost doubled at night (my isp introduced "nightspeed").

Is there any other way to make QoS or tcp_vegas work with variable bandwidth?

Donater
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've made some observations too...:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32892

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 14:57    Post subject: Re: TCP Vegas makes QoS unnecessary? Reply with quote
p00nka wrote:

Code:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_alpha
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_beta

I wanted to give this a try to see how it affects performance. For some reason "echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood" keeps reverting back to "1" after the reboot. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Vince
duckncover
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
So i have used Telnet and the line:

Quote:

Then nothing happens. Am i to take it that this has worked or can I check if it has worked somewhere?

Thanks!
dc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
duckncover wrote:

Quote:

Then nothing happens. Am i to take it that this has worked or can I check if it has worked somewhere?

Thanks!

You could telent in and use the 'cat' command to display the value ie:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid
duckncover
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
dc wrote:
duckncover wrote:

Quote:

Thanks!

You could telent in and use the 'cat' command to display the value ie:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid

It came back and said 1

Is that good? Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: