TCP Vegas makes QoS unnecessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
yorugua
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 14:59    Post subject: Re: TCP Vegas makes QoS unnecessary? Reply with quote
vincekahn wrote:
p00nka wrote:

Code:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_cong_avoid
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_alpha
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_beta

I wanted to give this a try to see how it affects performance. For some reason "echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood" keeps reverting back to "1" after the reboot. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Vince

Yes, that's normal. Those systems variables that you are modifying by echoing a value onto them are kept there until the next reboot, or any other change you make into them. You need to setup a boot script in order to make those changes every time your router reboots, in case you are happy with TCP vegas.
Sponsor
Deben_69
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have better results (& lower CPU usage) entering it like this (and w/o alpha):

PD. Is there another "TCP congestion avoidance" algorithm that I can try using the same method above ???
What are the "parameters" to activate them ???

Thanks!

WRT54G v8.0 = wl0_corerev=13 >> w/ DD-WRT v24-SP2 Micro-Plus (latest-svn) as R.B.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 13:00    Post subject: satellite connection results Reply with quote
Hi, it is almost unbelievable but when applied TCP_Vegas our ping reply fall down on free line values, in our case it means from 1800ms to 750ms and practically we could make VoIP calls even the line is fully loaded by another traffic (P2P, downloads or uploads..).
rwhapham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apologies if this is a re-hash from somewhere else in this long (and somewhat confusing) thread, but after this script is set as the router's Firewall Script and the router rebooted, are people seeing results without QoS enabled? Or is it better to go ahead and enable it even when using tcp_vegas? And, does simply enabling it cause anything but bandwidth throttling? Or do you have to add service assignments in order to get the full effect? Again, sorry if this info is scattered about somewhere else, but I was hoping for a succinct answer. Thanks.
vincekahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Re: TCP Vegas makes QoS unnecessary? Reply with quote
yorugua wrote:
vincekahn wrote:
p00nka wrote:

Code:
echo 3 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_vegas_alpha

I wanted to give this a try to see how it affects performance. For some reason "echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_westwood" keeps reverting back to "1" after the reboot. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Vince

Yes, that's normal. Those systems variables that you are modifying by echoing a value onto them are kept there until the next reboot, or any other change you make into them. You need to setup a boot script in order to make those changes every time your router reboots, in case you are happy with TCP vegas.

That's my point, I added this to the boot script and after reboot /net/ipv4/tcp_westwood keeps reverting back to 1 never 0. Only when I do this from the cli it works. Is that normal? I didn't think tcp_westwood and tcp_vegas should both be enabled?
strfr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
rwhapham wrote:
Apologies if this is a re-hash from somewhere else in this long (and somewhat confusing) thread, but after this script is set as the router's Firewall Script and the router rebooted, are people seeing results without QoS enabled? Or is it better to go ahead and enable it even when using tcp_vegas? And, does simply enabling it cause anything but bandwidth throttling? Or do you have to add service assignments in order to get the full effect? Again, sorry if this info is scattered about somewhere else, but I was hoping for a succinct answer. Thanks.

QoS is definitely not necessary, it is just somehow balancing the bandwidth and in our case it works just great
callous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
This works way better than qos in dd-wrt or in tomato.

Thanks for this tip, everyone!

I have to disagree with the tip about NOT enabling the alpha line though, as this tcp-vegas-type-qos doesnt seem to work without it.

Im using dd-wrt mini v24
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
i merged it now to the codebase

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm confused, how do I tell TCP_Vegas that I want web browsing to have priority over bit torrent?

When I enable tcp_vegas under the commands tab and hit save firewall and reboot. Is there a hidden gui that is suppose to be revealed?
imix7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
wow, after enabling i see tremendous difference.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
jasondhsd wrote:
I'm confused, how do I tell TCP_Vegas that I want web browsing to have priority over bit torrent?

You don't... it's automatic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_Vegas
It's already embedded in the Linux kernel. You are merely turning it on by changing one of the default parameters from 0 to 1.

Quote:
When I enable tcp_vegas under the commands tab and hit save firewall and reboot. Is there a hidden gui that is suppose to be revealed?

No...

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
imix7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it needed/required to be run on both main router and repeater bridge to take advantage of? or just the main router? thanks
callous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've foudn that if I have both vegas and qos enabled, vegas doesnt seem to perform well anymore. It is almost like qos overrides vegas.
callous
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i merged it now to the codebase

Thanks brain.
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
BS, is it already in the code of v24 final or did you merge it in AFTER v24 final?!

Navigation

Jump to: