DIR-890L Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
thomashouseman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
So is the router database correct in that 26653 is the correct build to use still?
Any hints for a first time flasher or will this thread/guide work fine?

Cheers,

T.
Sponsor
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
thomashouseman wrote:
So is the router database correct in that 26653 is the correct build to use still?
Any hints for a first time flasher or will this thread/guide work fine?

Forget about the router database for this model.
For the initial flash, just follow the 1st post of this thread.
For subsequent flashes, you can use BS builds or Kong's R8000 build.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Mussels
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just pitching in some updates about the 890L

I've been testing out a few of the DD-WRT betas for this device and ran into a bunch of problems. Thinks like a global bandwidth limit suddenly crashing and allowing full speeds and being unable to login to the router itself once that occured.

At the moment i'm on the "DD-WRT v3.0-r29264 std (03/17/16)" release without any problems.
DarkFuryPredator
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is DD-WRT an improvement for wifi over the 1.09 Dlink firmware? So far I'm MASSIVELY disappointed in this router, but I keep reading there are issues with the DD-WRT...
Mussels
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
DarkFuryPredator wrote:
Is DD-WRT an improvement for wifi over the 1.09 Dlink firmware? So far I'm MASSIVELY disappointed in this router, but I keep reading there are issues with the DD-WRT...

stock firmware was total garbage for me. Some features dont work perfectly on DD-WRT (this varies between versions - there are dozens of beta firmwares to try if one features critical to you), but for me most of the features didnt work in the stock firmware either, so it's still an improvement.
ghigo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone confirm that the instructions in this thread work with the version A2? In the list of supported devices I only see the version A1

Thank you!
sew3521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mussels wrote:
DarkFuryPredator wrote:

stock firmware was total garbage for me. Some features dont work perfectly on DD-WRT (this varies between versions - there are dozens of beta firmwares to try if one features critical to you), but for me most of the features didnt work in the stock firmware either, so it's still an improvement.

I have been very happy with this router. DD-WRT has been extremely stable and QOS seems to work great.
sew3521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghigo wrote:
Can someone confirm that the instructions in this thread work with the version A2? In the list of supported devices I only see the version A1

Thank you!

Sorry I cannot help. I don't have the A2.
genobkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38    Post subject: Any new fDD-WRT firmware for this router? Reply with quote
I am using 28397. I am seeing very poor wifi performance but it may be my powerline adapter. I seem to do much better pluged direct to fiber box then using power line adapter but then wifi can not make it to 3rd floor.

I have 300 mb but barely getting 100 on wifi through power line adapter. I am using a gigabit powerline adapter. I was able to get 300 mb on wifi plugged directly to my fiber box but then wifi will be weak on 3rd floor

My cureent system. Fiber box on 1st floor power line adapter plugged into that, D-Link router with DD-WRT on 2nd floor. This has my wifi covering all 3 floors but I max out at only 100 mb.

Ideas or suggestions would be great
Dug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43    Post subject: Working releases and issues Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've recently set up a DIR-890L using DD-WRT.
I found this thread useful and I thought it would be helpful to update the thread with details of working releases, any issues people are having and any tips specific to this model.

I'm running r30631 (Brainslayer DIR-890L)
09-14-2016-r030631/dlink-dir890l

I chose this build as a starting point as this guy had success with it.

https://fsociety.info/2016/The-Tale-of-the-DD-WRT-Firmware-and-the-DLINK-DIR-890L-Router/

Issues: I tried to set interface priority (eth1) in QoS for my wired devices. This seemed to crash the switch.
I've found some vague references to issues with this setting on the Netgear r8000.

Tips: The DIR-890L is internally VERY similar to the Netgear R8000 and the Asus AC3200.
Kong R8000 builds support the DIR-890L (although the ddup upgrade tool isn't supported)
suribe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 14:14    Post subject: Re: DIR-890L Guide Reply with quote
sew3521 wrote:

Step 3 (Configuring Wireless)
There are many settings here that are dependent on you hitting Apply Settings when I say to. Please do not try and shortcut this step because you WILL mess up if you do. The channels I choose are channels that I know work, I have found that this router can be very picky on channels, especially with the WL2 radio. I would recommend setting your router up like mine, and making modifications once you know everything is working. NEVER USE AUTO CHANNELS! I recommend giving all 3 of your networks a different SSID. Some people think you should let your device choose the network, but I like having control over what connects to what, and I find having 3 different network SSIDs will work the best.

For wl0 set Wireless Network Mode to AC/N-Mixed. This mode will only allow clients supporting AC or N to connect to this radio. Name this network something that ends in 5 so you can easily see this is your 5Ghz N network. For example, you could name it My_Home_5.

For wl1 set Wireless Network Mode to NG-Mixed. This setting will only allow clients supporting G or N to connect to this radio. Name this network something without an ending on it, so you know this is not a special network. For example, you could name it My_Home.

For wl2 set Wireless Network Mode to AC-Only. This setting will only allow clients supporting AC to connect to this radio. Name the network that ends in AC, so you know that this is your AC network. For example, you could name it My_Home_AC.

Hit Apply Settings

For wl0 set channel width to HT40 (40 MHz). This will allow you to use2 channels.

For wl1 set channel width to 20 Mhz. This will keep this radio on only one channel. This will help provide support for legacy devices.

For wl2 set channel width to VHT80 (80 MHz). This will allow the radio to use 3 channels.

Click Apply Settings.

For wl0 set the Extension Channel to lower.

For wl2 set the Extension Channel to Lower Lower.

Click Apply Settings.

For wl0 set the Wireless Channel to 48. Make sure only Wireless SSID broadcast and Implicit Beamforming are enabled. Make sure the Network Configuration is set to Bridged.

For wl1 set the Wireless Channel to 3. Make sure only Wireless SSID is enabled. Make sure the Network Configuration is set to Bridged.

For wl2 set the Wireless Channel to 149. Make sure only Wireless SSID and Explicit Beamforming are enabled. Make sure the Network Configuration is set to Bridged.

Click Apply Settings.

Click Wireless Security.

Enable WPA2 Personal with the AES Algorithm on all of the networks.

Enter a WPA Shared Key on each network. You need to make this at least 8 characters. You can set different passwords for each network if you want, however I normally have them all set the same. If you want something easy to remember and pretty strong try using your first name, cell phone number, last name. For example, Vladimir18004444444Tarasenko.

Click Apply Settings.

Click Administration, followed by Backup. Click Backup to save a backup file. Power cycle your modem and router.

Congratulations! Your router should be working now. I will attempt to keep this post updated with notes on new versions as they are released. I am going to put some optional configuration changes in Step 4, you do not need to do these.

I followed your instructions. Thanks for the channel assignment recommendation, that really fixed an issue where I couldn't connect or see each SSID.

Now my issue is I cannot connect using WPA2 Personal. I had to resort to WAP Personal. My IOS devices keep on saying this is an unsafe security.

Have you had this issue?
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 0:44    Post subject: Re: Working releases and issues Reply with quote
Dug wrote:

Kong R8000 builds support the DIR-890L (although the ddup upgrade tool isn't supported)

ddup is partially supported for the 890L.
--flash-latest doesn't work on this model,
but --flash-remote does work and I usually use this method to update as it verifies the signature before flashing.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
Blueyed1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 19:45    Post subject: Reserve ip and MAC adresses in DD-WRT firmware Reply with quote
I was trying out DD-WRT for 890L, but could not find a easy way to Reserve IP's for client PC's via MAC adress in the DD-WRT firmware, since all MAC's are xx:xx:xx:xx:A6:A0 or something like that, full of xx's

Another thing is that the led's on the router does not ligth up as on stock D-link firmware, is that normal. Power led is red, and 2,4/5Ghz are off?

What is the current DD-WRT firmware version that you would recommend I should try out?

/Blueyed1
mgoldey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
This Kong building works on the 890L A2 version: dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin

Full MAC addresses should be visible on the Status page, but they are xx'd out on the splash screen since unauthenticated LAN users can see that information.
xdresser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
mgoldey wrote:
This Kong building works on the 890L A2 version: dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R8000.bin

I installed this on my 890L A2 last night and working good so far. I was getting random disconnects with DDWRT firmware and so far so good with this. I was also having issues with my VPN not working on DDWRT so I hope the Kong build will fix that.

And still the only lights on the 890L that are working are the power and internet.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: