Netgear R7500v2 support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
altimitmine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
@altimitmine

yeah you were right. so i flashed every r7500v2 build that i had downloaded from kongs PTB folder to check each build name, rename those files with the correct build names, and then posted them on my personal FTP.

if anyone finds any other mislabeled builds from my FTP folder (specifically kongs) please let me know.

Thanks Very Happy I'm gonna try 31800 again. I don't remember the exact version that KONG had up prior to 4/4 but it worked very well with both wifi and my /opt setup, and I know it was 318xx. So this one is likely it.

Edit:

I'm finally ready to publicly announce my optware repo. If anyone is interested, please check out the forum I set up for it.

This is only for the Netgear R7500v2 (not R7500) running DD-WRT KONG r31800M or later

Keep in mind this is still in testing, but offers some neat features over the existing kong optware bootstrap:

• Kernel modules for this kernel version, thus loadable
  • Accepting requests for additional packages
  • Extra security in both package signing (not just the list) and even in the bootstrap script itself

Please try to keep bug reports and discussions separate.

In other words, if you find an issue in kong's firmware, be sure to test it WITHOUT my optware. To do this, simply reboot your router, and while it is rebooting, disconnect the drive that contains /opt. If you can reproduce the issue without my optware, report the issue here, in this thread.

If the issue only occurs when using my optware, report it on my forum, and NOT here.

In no situation should you discuss my optware on this thread. Inlcuding bugs, requests, questions, etc. Use my forum for that.

We don't want to cause additional headaches for kong, okay? Smile

If this becomes a problem for kong, he requests me to take it down, or this violates the DD-WRT forum rules, then I will remove this post.

However, I thought I would share my optware with you all, in case you wanted some features you cannot get with the default optware, such as RAID Smile
Sponsor
-=xxx=-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi...
Is Uboot located on 16Mb flash chip ?
Where can I find it's copy.
Thank you.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
-=xxx=- wrote:
Hi...
Is Uboot located on 16Mb flash chip ?
Where can I find it's copy.
Thank you.

this router has 128mb flash not 16.. anyway do http://router_ip/backup/insertnamehere.bin

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

-=xxx=-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I know in version R7500 it had also 16Mb SPI + NAND.
so they removed it from V2 ?
Can someone provide me a copy of u-boot ?
Thx.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
-=xxx=- wrote:
Can someone provide me a copy of u-boot ?
Thx.

did u read what i said...?

tatsuya46 wrote:
anyway do http://router_ip/backup/insertnamehere.bin

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

tyboge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Has anyone been successful in getting OpenVPN with PIA to work on the r7500v2 with the latest Kong build (or any build)? I have been trying to set this up for the past few days but havent been able to.

I posted in advanced networking as well but seeing how this is more specific to the model thought I would ask those working with it as well.

Any guidance is appreciated.

-Tommy
-=xxx=-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

tatsuya46 wrote:

I don't have this router.I want to try u-boot on different one.
Thanks.
klibs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have purchased a R7500v2 and plan on immediately installing DD-WRT on it. I have never flashed a router before so am a tad wary of screwing up / ruining a brand new device lol.

I have done hours of reading the DD-WRT guides as well as this thread and am a bit unclear on a few things...

The '30/30/30' reset rule referenced all over the place does not apply to this router because it does not use a Broadcom chip? what is the equivalent on this router? hold reset in for a while when it is powering up? i am assuming this would just clear any cached memory or whatever so that it goes back to 'default' settings? should i do this after installing DD-WRT?

This router is 'harder' to brick because you can always just TFTP into it and load the factory netgear firmware again? is this accurate?

when initially installing DD-WRT the firmware do I just log into the router, go to the menu to upgrade firmware, browse to the DD-WRT .img file, and let it install? seems very straightforward...

and finally...

what is the best version to use? I see a lot of people reference Kong's builds but I also see some distributions under 'official' dd-wrt repository...

what are the differences here / which is best?
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/

any other general advice would be great
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
-=xxx=- wrote:
Quote:

tatsuya46 wrote:

I don't have this router.I want to try u-boot on different one.
Thanks.

just dont do that...

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
klibs wrote:
I have purchased a R7500v2 and plan on immediately installing DD-WRT on it. I have never flashed a router before so am a tad wary of screwing up / ruining a brand new device lol.

I have done hours of reading the DD-WRT guides as well as this thread and am a bit unclear on a few things...

The '30/30/30' reset rule referenced all over the place does not apply to this router because it does not use a Broadcom chip? what is the equivalent on this router? hold reset in for a while when it is powering up? i am assuming this would just clear any cached memory or whatever so that it goes back to 'default' settings? should i do this after installing DD-WRT?

This router is 'harder' to brick because you can always just TFTP into it and load the factory netgear firmware again? is this accurate?

when initially installing DD-WRT the firmware do I just log into the router, go to the menu to upgrade firmware, browse to the DD-WRT .img file, and let it install? seems very straightforward...

and finally...

what is the best version to use? I see a lot of people reference Kong's builds but I also see some distributions under 'official' dd-wrt repository...

No 30/30/30. Telnet and erase nvram.

Yes, hard to brick simply TFTP to recover. The only brick is when your NAND flash busted.

Usually Kong build is best (ie. this: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/) but at the moment the latest builds on both are screwy. I have the previous stable Kong build r31800M so pm me if you want it.

Simply flash R7500v2-factory-to-ddwrt.img coming from factory to dd-wrt. Once everything fully comes up, power cycle the router (turn it off/on), then set up your config. For future update flash with ddwrt-netgear-R7500v2.bin

Last edited by jerrytouille on Thu Apr 13, 2017 16:18; edited 3 times in total
-=xxx=-
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
If something will go wrong I can always revert with programmer, but I don't know any other way to try dd-wrt on e8350. I know that second wifi chip is not supported on this router but I wanted to experiment with it.
xcqckng
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:

Yes, hard to brick simply TFTP to recover. The only brick is when your NAND flash busted.

Usually Kong build is best (ie. this: http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/) but at the moment the latest builds on both are screwy. I have the previous stable Kong build r31800M so pm me if you want it.

Simply flash R7500v2-factory-to-ddwrt.img coming from factory to dd-wrt. Once everything fully comes up, power cycle the router (turn it off/on), then set up your config. For future update flash with ddwrt-netgear-R7500v2.bin

a great thanks for your help by providing the stable kong build r31800m, i am happy man now!
klibs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:
klibs wrote:

and finally...

thank you!

pm sent
klibs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just want to let everyone reading this thread know that I am now running the following firmware with no issues whatsoever. Worked perfectly the first try. Super easy.

DD-WRT v3.0-r31800M kongat (04/02/17)
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Kong build 04/16 r31870M is out.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/

Seems to be solid so far with the new kernel security update 3.18.49

Speaking of kernel... wondering why we're still on 3.18 for atheros while Broadcom already moved on to 4.9?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 52, 53, 54  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 32 of 54
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: