WRT1900ACS V2 - Firmware

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
joesatri
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
stellajewels1114 wrote:
Can you specify what types, whose you tested? just the betas? Kong's too? Other non-ddwrt?

I'm with you I'm going for stable wifi and simple vpn setup, not asking for much (right now), but I'm curious of whose you've tried in general.

Thanks

Kong's 2017 betas, a couple of november 2016 ones...and can't know for sure what else.

After a few hours, i think i tried the same fw more than once. I think i lost my north Smile

Can you point me towards the STABLE one?

[edit]
with the current one, i can only use wifi with security disabled (only 2.4 band). Once I add security, i cannot connect anymore. This will have to do during the work day today, and tonight, i might try another build (if somebody can suggest one that is stable)

My wifi keeps telling me to send this router back and get a working one... For now, i'm resisting the temptation Smile
[/edit]

Thanks!

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should clarify my reasons for asking. I too am seeking most stable and it may just take some lengthy individual testing that I haven't had time for yet.

You're further along than me. I have to leave mine in stock fw each morning I go to work and have little time to test. (my kids are home-schooled and the teacher, my wife, will be very upset if the radios stop working while I'm gone).

Tony

...I know just enough to be dangerous
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont know why you have problems because my wrt1900acV1 and Wrt1200acV1 are rock solid on latest Kong r31100m as router and Wifi AP on 2.4 and 5Ghz AC (80Mhz,161ch). There are very small amount of Rx errors on 5 Ghz AC 80Mgz but i am not seeing even single interruption.
May be you have a bad unit then or you have to erase nvr and re-flash and configure it manually in a simple mode
stellajewels1114
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
rock solid - that's awesome to hear. Kong's r31100m is his 1.8.17 build right? I think that's a good one too. I've saved different versions by date because he only posts his latest each time and until you boot into them you can't tell, so it's hard for me to track them by release name this way.

...I know just enough to be dangerous
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right, it is 2017-01-08. The Marvel wifi closed-source driver was significantly improved as well.
tentrey
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 23:06    Post subject: Re: wrt-54 1900 ac v2 Reply with quote
thanks man this build is spot on.

myersw wrote:
tentrey wrote:
was wondering if there was a newer version of the software available? what I have will drop the internet causing me to reboot the router to regain connectivity. im running:
That is very old firmware you are using.
WRT1900AC v2 Firmware: webflash image
ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acv2-webflash.bin 2016-01-14 30,50 MB

Here is link to Kong's latest build:
http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-MVEBU/
He only posts his latest.

Brainslayer builds are here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas

--bill
mackiller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not yet found a firmware (BS or Kong) that works with my 1900ACSV2 at 1000Mbps speeds without locking up within a day to a few hours. Works fine at slower speeds. I've tested the latest two from BS and Kong, with fairly simple router settings... I had to retire my brand new router in exchange to my older (slower) one until this is resolved...
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Understand your frustration.
I have had good luck with my wrt1900acs v1 running either LEDE or Gargoyle.

Links to the various builds:
Cybrnook LEDE
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/builds-for-wrt1200ac-wrt1900acv1-wrt1900acv2-wrt1900acs-wrt3200acm/545

Davidc502- great builds
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

Gargoyle - based on Openwrt
http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_ispyisail/
Really like this one and gives me the best 5GHz wireless throughput on my iperf test.

All 3 of these run well on my wrt1900acs v1.
Better then DD-WRT. I have not had any wireless drops running these. Know wireless is iffy. My situation could be totally different. But since you are having issues might was well give these a try.

Good luck.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
BigChiefS4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
New forum user, but long time DD-WRT user here.

I had the original Linksys WRT-54G, then upgraded to a Netgear WNDR-3700, which I have been using for years with no issues. I have a lot of experience flashing these devices, which is why I had no problems jumping in with both feet when I bought a shiny new WRT1900ACS v2. The minute I got it, I flashed it with LEDE. However, I have had some issues.

There's quite a few builds available for this great router. The dual partitions are a GREAT feature of this router. Don't like the flash? Power on/off 3 times and go back to stock. Bricked your router? Power on/off 3 times and go back to stock. I've done this quite a few times and the stock image is always there to save me.

My experience thus far:
LEDE - nice image but I prefer DD-WRT interface.
Open-WRT - based on LEDE so same interface.
davidc502 - this one was better but again, I prefer the DD-WRT interface
DD-WRT - WAN port comes up 50% of the time, or less. 5Ghz clients can't connect (either it just fails to connect or says password is wrong). I'm using WPA2 with AES (also tried TKIP and AES+TKIP). There may be other issues, but I only played with it a couple of hours last night.

On to my question - when you revert to the stock Linksys image, then decide to flash a new DD-WRT (or LEDE, or whatever) image, is there any prep you should do when the router reboots for the first time? Should you restore factory defaults? I ask because I downloaded the latest and greatest DD-WRT image (02-28-2017-r31544) and I can't seem to get the WAN port active. 5Ghz WiFi doesn't work, either. It broadcasts the SSID but my devices can't connect to it. In short, it doesn't work.

I'm just looking for something I missed.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigChiefS4 wrote:
New forum user, but long time DD-WRT user here.

I had the original Linksys WRT-54G, then upgraded to a Netgear WNDR-3700, which I have been using for years with no issues. I have a lot of experience flashing these devices, which is why I had no problems jumping in with both feet when I bought a shiny new WRT1900ACS v2. The minute I got it, I flashed it with LEDE. However, I have had some issues.

There's quite a few builds available for this great router. The dual partitions are a GREAT feature of this router. Don't like the flash? Power on/off 3 times and go back to stock. Bricked your router? Power on/off 3 times and go back to stock. I've done this quite a few times and the stock image is always there to save me.

My experience thus far:
LEDE - nice image but I prefer DD-WRT interface.
Open-WRT - based on LEDE so same interface.
davidc502 - this one was better but again, I prefer the DD-WRT interface
DD-WRT - WAN port comes up 50% of the time, or less. 5Ghz clients can't connect (either it just fails to connect or says password is wrong). I'm using WPA2 with AES (also tried TKIP and AES+TKIP). There may be other issues, but I only played with it a couple of hours last night.

On to my question - when you revert to the stock Linksys image, then decide to flash a new DD-WRT (or LEDE, or whatever) image, is there any prep you should do when the router reboots for the first time? Should you restore factory defaults? I ask because I downloaded the latest and greatest DD-WRT image (02-28-2017-r31544) and I can't seem to get the WAN port active. 5Ghz WiFi doesn't work, either. It broadcasts the SSID but my devices can't connect to it. In short, it doesn't work.

I'm just looking for something I missed.

When you revert back to the Linksys firmware, which is how I always to upgrades or change what firmware I am running, there is no reset required. When you do the new flash from the Linksys UI it goes to the other partition and is "virgin". No settings. So when the router reboots after the flash you have a firmware that is the same as if you had done a reset to the now running firmware. Can then do a config or if you have a backup that will support what you installed use the backup to get things configured.

I am currently running r31355 and not having any issues. Maybe install this instead of very latest? I do also run LEDE and Gargoyle. I personally prefer them to DD-WRT, but that is a personal thing. I install DD-WRT from time to time to see how it is coming along. I like the tree interface of LEDE and Gargoyle versus DD-WRT for management for example. Also find that these two normally perform faster on the 5GHz wireless. I agree with you about LEDE builds. Davidc502 builds are solid.

--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
BigChiefS4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't think I had to do a factory reset, but I thought I'd ask. And yes, I always flash from the factory Linksys image, not from DD-WRT or any other image.

I just got home from work, logged into my router and did a factory reset. Boom! Everything is working now, including 5GHz.

I'm gonna run this for a few days and run it through its paces before replacing my WNDR3700 with it. I have Comcast business class and I get 5 IP addresses, so I have my WNDR3700, a Buffalo wireless router and now my new Linksys connected to a switch that comes out of my cable modem. That makes it easier to switch back and forth without swapping cables.[/b]

EDIT: I spoke too soon. 5Ghz is not working. It's just not accepting my password and it's not super complex, either.
BigChiefS4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had some time last night to flash Gargoyle last night. It worked out of the box, although my WAN port was not active for quite awhile. Dunno why that's happening. A couple of power cycles and it started working.

So far it's stable and wireless works great. The interface could use some polishing, especially when using some of the themes. Is there no SNMP support for this flash? I like to monitor my router with Cacti and I don't see a package for it.

I still much prefer DD-WRT so I will probably reflash yet again with an older version. r31355 doesn't seem to be available for download anymore, however.
mackiller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Bill, not so much frustrated, but just sharing so that it can hopefully help others. With that said, I really appreciate your post, because it gives a nice succinct summary of what else I can try. I think the crux is the gigabit speed crashing the router, and I will test these now.

myersw wrote:
Understand your frustration.
I have had good luck with my wrt1900acs v1 running either LEDE or Gargoyle.

Links to the various builds:
Cybrnook LEDE
https://forum.lede-project.org/t/builds-for-wrt1200ac-wrt1900acv1-wrt1900acv2-wrt1900acs-wrt3200acm/545

Davidc502- great builds
https://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/

Gargoyle - based on Openwrt
http://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_ispyisail/
Really like this one and gives me the best 5GHz wireless throughput on my iperf test.

All 3 of these run well on my wrt1900acs v1.
Better then DD-WRT. I have not had any wireless drops running these. Know wireless is iffy. My situation could be totally different. But since you are having issues might was well give these a try.

Good luck.

--bill
Zeta09
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:02    Post subject: Kong build and 1900 ACS (v2) Reply with quote
Hello all

Long time DD-Wrt user but it's been a while since I've posted.

Jumping right in, the Kong links seem to be dead.
Are there newer ones at a central location on the Forum? Are they in a different post?

I have the 1900 ACS v2. It has Gargoyle on it right now. It does seem to run fine but I have much much more familiarity with DD-Wrt and would at least like to try it. Still the 5 GHz instability that I'm reading about is worrysome. Also trying to have the other Routers that DO have DD-Wrt be Repeaters for the Gargoyle router and having trouble getting them to play well together.

Any thoughts? Bridge repeater mode I had also read had trouble with DD-Wrt before depending on the build.

For the one I am trying to work with (I have 4 AC-66Us) it has the BS 21286 build

Any help would be appreciated. New Links please
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brainslayer builds are here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 13
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: