TP-Link TL-WA854RE Rev. V1 (Unofficial Support)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

For development of a build specifically for this device, DD-WRT team needs one in hands, so what's better ?
We donate money so they could buy a device themselves.
73%
 73%  [ 30 ]
Donate a repeater ( if someone has one that get's dust).
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 41

VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonny5k wrote:
Don't know how I can detect CPU and Ram of V2, but if you can modify the bin for me, I will try it without problems.. Smile

If it got an FCC ID on the back then you can look hw info by this ID on the fcc site.
Sponsor
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonny5k wrote:
Hi, I've TL-WA854RE v2.0, with 1.0.0 Build 20150916 Rel. 34723. When I try to use this firmware, I get Checksum error. Do you think I need another modified version?

Any idea on how to get this version?

sorry can't do, different bootloader on v2
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonny5k wrote:
Hi, I've TL-WA854RE v2.0, with 1.0.0 Build 20150916 Rel. 34723. When I try to use this firmware, I get Checksum error. Do you think I need another modified version?

Any idea on how to get this version?

Thanks, J5

So after quite some hassle, as your version does indeed have different internals, i managed to get a build with the header modified for you, but this is the riskiest moment for you, as this might go very wrong and brick your repeater, you've been warned, take this at your own risk...
You'll find the firmware attached to this post, the upgrade procedure is described in the first post, if something go wrong...don't blame anyone.

This is WR841NDv10 firmware with changed header for WA854REv2, if all goes well further web upgrades will be done with firmwares for WR841NDv10.

UPDATE: ATTACHEMENT DELETED, DIDN'T WORKED.

Last edited by VSparxx on Tue Feb 23, 2016 21:36; edited 1 time in total
jonny5k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help. Will try it. Don't worry, I know that if it bricks it's on me Smile

I'll post whether it works.

Thanks, J5
jonny5k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't flash this firmware. I still get "Checksum Error"..
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonny5k wrote:

Well the person that gave me the firmware said it's all he can do, as your device bootloader is somehow different evnthough it's still U-Boot and if this firmware doesn't work he can't really do much more.

So now the only hope is someone who is willing to help and has the knowledge on how to modify firmwares, i'll just write your repeater specifications and we'll have to wait and see.

Model: TP-Link TL-WA854RE V2
CPU: Qualcom Atheros 650MHz QCA9533-BL3A
RAM: 32 MB Zentel A3S56D40GTP-50L
FLASH: 4MB Winbond
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonny5k wrote:

I think you'll need to copy those specifications and make a new thread for your revision, as this way you'll get an answer faster.
jonny5k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks!!! I'll do it...
dja
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
VSparxx wrote:
dja wrote:
Still working like a charm for 2 days straight without error. I'd say go ahead but if you wanna wait for a week I can come back and share the good or bad news then.

Thanks for the clarification.^^ Also thanks again for this thread. The repeater was underwhelming with stock firmware.

Sure, come back and write about your experience with this device and DD-WRT, that way we all, that share our experience here on the forums, make other's decisions easier.
Still working flawlessly. Loving it. I dont need to look any further now while I was planning to before seeing this thread. Thanks a lot
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
dja wrote:
VSparxx wrote:
dja wrote:
Still working like a charm for 2 days straight without error. I'd say go ahead but if you wanna wait for a week I can come back and share the good or bad news then.

Thanks for the clarification.^^ Also thanks again for this thread. The repeater was underwhelming with stock firmware.

Sure, come back and write about your experience with this device and DD-WRT, that way we all, that share our experience here on the forums, make other's decisions easier.
Still working flawlessly. Loving it. I dont need to look any further now while I was planning to before seeing this thread. Thanks a lot

Glad this thread is helping others too, I literally was hating this little device because of poorly integrated stock firmware, DD-WRT literally saved it from the bin.

Also to all the people that voted for the option of donating money in the poll, it would be great if you could all write here if you donated, nowadays this little repeaters can be found for as little as 24$ on ebay, so if we have 4 people that are willing to donate 6$ that will make us with direct update channel and support for all the buttons leds and many more goodies that devs will squeeze out of it.
I myslf am ready to donate, will have a look on how this procedure works, so they know for what are we donating.
Plauto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is me again, to tell that another TP-Link TL-WA854RE v1 wifi repeater was successfully flashed with the provided DD-WRT firmware (courtesy of VSparxx and GreyDoc), was upgraded to the mentioned Build 29048 (BTW, did anyone upgrade to any version later than 29048?) and is currently working (fingers crossed!).

I will keep you posted in a week or so to let you know if stability is good; wish me well!

Count one more ready to donate for official support for the device, I'd like to see the LEDs working correctly again!
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plauto wrote:
Here is me again, to tell that another TP-Link TL-WA854RE v1 wifi repeater was successfully flashed with the provided DD-WRT firmware (courtesy of VSparxx and GreyDoc), was upgraded to the mentioned Build 29048 (BTW, did anyone upgrade to any version later than 29048?) and is currently working (fingers crossed!).

I will keep you posted in a week or so to let you know if stability is good; wish me well!

Count one more ready to donate for official support for the device, I'd like to see the LEDs working correctly again!

there shouldn't be issues with updating to the WA901NDv3 webflash build 29193
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/03-02-2016-r29193/tplink_tl-wa901ndv3/tl-wa901ndv3-webflash.bin

if you're brave, give WR841NDv8 webflash build 29193 a try
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/03-02-2016-r29193/tplink_tl-wr841ndv8/tl-wr841nd-webflash.bin

one can webflash back and forth between WA901NDv3 and WR841NDv8, it's the same hardware (for testing led behavior)
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
GreyDoc wrote:

one can webflash back and forth between WA901NDv3 and WR841NDv8, it's the same hardware (for testing led behavior)

I'm pretty sure that won't make a difference as this repeater has 6 leds, from which 2 (power and re/wifi activity) as of now are working correctly, and 4 which represent the intensity of wifi signal the repeater needs to repeat aren't working at all, and i'm sure the gpio for those is completely different from the switch ones on the mentioned router Sad
But nonetheless thanks for still keeping an eye on this thread Smile

Plauto wrote:

I don't see the point in upgrading now to a later build as all the recent builds just added non vital changes, at least for us, i'll just wait until there are some more changes made and upgrade to a later one, I think once in a month maybe even two is ok as we all know we can't afford to mess with this thing extensively as no recovery method aside from serial is possible.

Now with the donations problem, I looked at the donations page and it seems we can't donate money so they buy themselves a device, it's like donate a device or donate money for support, or both Very Happy.
So our only option is somebody to buy the device and send it to them, and all other guys to just send him their share.
BTW..i just checked and I can buy this device at a local tech depo (have access to those due to work ) for 24$ , if somebody can buy it cheaper it would be great ofc .
GreyDoc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
VSparxx wrote:
GreyDoc wrote:

I'm pretty sure that won't make a difference as this repeater has 6 leds, from which 2 (power and re/wifi activity) as of now are working correctly, and 4 which represent the intensity of wifi signal the repeater needs to repeat aren't working at all, and i'm sure the gpio for those is completely different from the switch ones on the mentioned router Sad

you can't say that until you try. what if I would have provided you with a modified header of WR841NDv8 (instead of WA901NDv3) at the very beginning? I made that choice and you don't quite know my reasoning, as to why
VSparxx wrote:
I don't see the point in upgrading now to a later build as all the recent builds just added non vital changes

I don't agree: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279466
VSparxx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
GreyDoc wrote:
I made that choice and you don't quite know my reasoning, as to why

Well it's the obvious choice in our case WA901ND is an access point that can act as a repeater as well, so basically it's gpio is the closest, that's why you primarily chose it in the first place...I think, I mean over WR841ND.

GreyDoc wrote:
I don't agree: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279466

Well I know they added changes, and a lot, just non vital for our devices, that's what I really was trying to say, also I know about changelog and keeping an eye on it every time there is a new firmware, i'll probably skip them until I really see something catching my eye, as of now there is a lot of Broadcom stuff and new router models added, also bug corrections for some features I don't use on a repeater, that sums it up Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 13
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: