DD-WRT NXT on Buffalo WSR-1166DD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Sparticuz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 18:17    Post subject: DD-WRT NXT on Buffalo WSR-1166DD Reply with quote
Hey all, I've purchased the WSR-1166DD because I saw DD-WRT on the box! What I didn't see was NXT, which is a terribly crippled version of DD-WRT. (Port forwarding is CLI only...really...) Is there a way to put full DD-WRT on this router? It's already got a firmware based on it, so I don't think it would be too difficult.

The router is actually listed as the 1166DHP in the settings of the router's status pages. If that's the case, it seems to be a MediaTek MT7621A with 16mb of ROM and 128mb of RAM. (https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Buffalo_AirStation_WSR-1166DHP)

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
Winskitech711
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump on this, I just bought a bunch of these then realized NXT was on them.
sleepingferret
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got one as well, and with so many features not complete with DD-WRT NXT, I'd like to just load the good old reliable DD-WRT.

So far the closest thing to the WSR-1166DD is the WZR-1166DHP, which is in the DD-WRT database.

And product spec wise, the only differences between the two, is that the WZR-1166DHP has USB, is a tad more "power efficient" and the product weighs more.

The rest of the capabilities and so forth look identical. I just want to make sure I could reset my WSR-1166DD back to factory settings, in case DD-WRT fails to install properly and bricks the router.

I restored my ASUS RT-N66u, after a failed upgrade and a bit of reading. But I don't want to break my new router without a backup plan.
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, don't flash it with other model's dd-wrt build as it will brick the router. WZR-1166DHP use a Broadcom CPU whereas WSR-1166DD use a MediaTek MT7621A. They are two completely different animals. As WSR-1166DD is not listed on the Supported Devices List: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices so it is not supported by dd-wrt yet.
sleepingferret
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured as much. I guess, my new one will just be used for AC wifi range and speed testing. Because it doesn't have the firewall configuration ability that I want to be in the "front line".

The "Black Knight" remains my front line defender for now I guess. I only needed a second router for subnet division anyways.
doctorlake
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:31    Post subject: WSR-1166DD with NXT - not good. Gimme std DD-WRT Reply with quote
OK, since DD-WRT NXT runs on this Buffalo unit where is the regular DD-WRT flash?

This router is quite crippled with NXT. CLI was not the route I was hoping to go either.

Either a solution wanted or I ship this thing back to AMAZON....

Starting to get pissy. This dumb Buffalo router and I already wasted my $ on a Linksys EA6500V2 which craps out regularly likely due to the 32K NVRAM bug.

Can someone suggest a inexpensive AC router that has a stable DD-WRT version?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: