dd-wrt On a WR941ND V6

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:49    Post subject: Another attempt Reply with quote
Here is a another attempt:

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Sponsor
DerChamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 19:26    Post subject: Re: Another attempt Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
Here is a another attempt:

Wow this is a stubborn one...

Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name.

Thanks again!
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:54    Post subject: PM Reply with quote
PM KryptX and see what he can find out.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/profile_sec.php?mode=viewprofile&u=336297

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
miro911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You Have to use the Recovery mods to apply firmware if you are on one of the lastes original firmware . i Also give a try and after the flash i get the same issue ..
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 15:50    Post subject: TFTP Reply with quote
Take a look at these links then:
http://bkil.blogspot.ca/2014/12/hidden-tftp-of-tp-link-routers.html

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr941nd
(Read the section about TFTP install)

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
@DerChamp and @ian5142
Stock firmware 160408 for the Canadian version is locked. You will have to first TFTP back to the unlocked version 150312 found here: http://www.tp-link.com/ca/download/TL-WR940N_V3.html#Firmware

These locked firmwares have been applied by TP-Links for a while back in 2016 on several of their routers, but then they've changed their minds.
Anyway, find a way to TFTP to a non-locked variant - it may not be as smooth as you'd think.

Here are some step-by-step tutorials for other TP-Link routers that I've noted down over time (don't have time to figure out how this would work for your model specifially, but it should be something similar:

1. Download firmware from TP-Link
1b. Make a new folder and extract .bin file
2. Rename the Bin file to wr841nv11_tp_recovery.bin (or replace v11 with whatever version you're using)
3. Disable all network adapters you don't have plugged into the router
3b. Set the IP address of the PC to 192.168.0.66, default subnet mask, and NO OTHER SETTINGS.
4. Install TFTP software http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html
4b. Run TFTP Software
4c. Within TFTP, browse to new directory.
4d. Ensure within 'interfaces' you see the above IP 192.168.0.66
5. Hold WPS/Reset button while router is cycling, the 'lock' light should stay illuminated.
6. Router should grab the Bin file and restore automatically.
7. Thank the good TP-Link Devs for including this feature.

------------------------------------------------
1.) Install Wireshark to snoop Ethernet traffic;
2.) Run Wireshark listening on your Ethernet port;
3.) Connect cable from Ethernet port to LAN port on router;
4.) Use "recovery method," that is, power on while holding reset button, etc.
-- check dd-wrt or OpenWRT device pages or search for TFTP recovery instructions for your model/version router -- to boot router into TFTP recovery mode;
5.) You should see traffic from the router in Wireshark;
6.) Set the IP address of your Ethernet port to the address (192.168.0.66 or 192.168.0.33) that the router is looking for by sending out ARP requests;
7.) You may need to power cycle the router to get it booted into TFTP recovery mode again;
8.) When the router finds that special, correct IP address, look in Wireshark to see what the exact filename is that the router wants to upload;
9.) Rename your stock firmware -- a stripped (non "_boot") firmware -- or the factory-to-ddwrt(-us).bin file to the exact filename the router is looking for.

Then start tftp32d (tftp64d) with this renamed file in the correct folder for tftp32d to find for upload, then reboot the router into TFTP recovery mode.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. I can't stress this strongly enough. Your patience will be rewarded if things are correctly configured.

If the upload window only lasts a second or so, connect both the workstation Ethernet port and the router LAN port to an already-powered-on switch (NOT a hub).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally prefer how Netgear and others do it where you "tftp" the firmware to the router after putting it in recovery mode.
But TP-Link force the user to run a TFTP Server (tftpd) on their computer, and the router initiates the "tftp" client on its end,
after you rename the firmware to "wr1043nv1_tp_recovery.bin" or some other "****_tp_recovery.bin".
The IP address you set for you computer running the tftpd is 192.168.0.66, but sometimes it is 192.168.1.66... Can be confusing...

------------------------------------
Also see how to unbrick Archer C9v1:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=973922
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=977268#977268

ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 19:31    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote
Can this info be added to a wiki page for the 940/941?

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
dannychow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Report: The 08-29-2017-r33257 build still has the wan port & LED issues to me.
After I plug the WAN cable to LAN1 port, everything back to normal except that the 4 LAN LEDs can't light up but the wifi router function is ok. I will use it for a few days and see whether it is stable.

My router is WR940Nv3 (international version)
dannychow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
dannychow wrote:
Report: The 08-29-2017-r33257 build still has the wan port & LED issues to me.
After I plug the WAN cable to LAN1 port, everything back to normal except that the 4 LAN LEDs can't light up but the wifi router function is ok. I will use it for a few days and see whether it is stable.

My router is WR940Nv3 (international version)

After a few days observation, I found that only the wireless is ok. Other LAN ports can't be used by other devices properly as they can't get the correct NAT IP address (e.g. 192.168.x.x). Instead, the connected device obtain another IP from the WAN..
miro911
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well just try the new FW . Again the same probleme ...Please fix issue of none working WAN Port.

thanks you
chandan.karanam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 17:00    Post subject: wan port issue still Reply with quote
hey there

running ddwrt build 33413 on the router tplink wr941nd v6

still facing the wan port issue
anyone also facing the same on the build 33413?

disabling wan lan works
but I need both lan and wan working coz there are other equioments connected to lan

don't know when it gets resolved

please let us know when wan and lan both working

thanks
chandan.karanam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 17:06    Post subject: seperate lan and wan Reply with quote
I got a question
what if we could separate lan and wan
i found that br0 is binded to ath0 (something)

what if we could change it.
anyone tried that

here is the link
link 1:- https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Separate_LAN_and_WLAN

link 2:- https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Separate_LAN_and_WLANv2

can someone try and let know

thanks
kwadrofonik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you KrypteX! This worked. One note for my TL-WR940N v3 (CA) is that the recover file is wr941ndv6_tp_recovery.bin. I also had to increase the ftp timeout to 30 seconds because the server kept giving up on the client.

KrypteX wrote:
@DerChamp and @ian5142
Stock firmware 160408 for the Canadian version is locked. You will have to first TFTP back to the unlocked version 150312 found here: http://www.tp-link.com/ca/download/TL-WR940N_V3.html#Firmware

These locked firmwares have been applied by TP-Links for a while back in 2016 on several of their routers, but then they've changed their minds.
Anyway, find a way to TFTP to a non-locked variant - it may not be as smooth as you'd think.

Here are some step-by-step tutorials for other TP-Link routers that I've noted down over time (don't have time to figure out how this would work for your model specifially, but it should be something similar:

1. Download firmware from TP-Link
1b. Make a new folder and extract .bin file
2. Rename the Bin file to wr841nv11_tp_recovery.bin (or replace v11 with whatever version you're using)
3. Disable all network adapters you don't have plugged into the router
3b. Set the IP address of the PC to 192.168.0.66, default subnet mask, and NO OTHER SETTINGS.
4. Install TFTP software http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html
4b. Run TFTP Software
4c. Within TFTP, browse to new directory.
4d. Ensure within 'interfaces' you see the above IP 192.168.0.66
5. Hold WPS/Reset button while router is cycling, the 'lock' light should stay illuminated.
6. Router should grab the Bin file and restore automatically.
7. Thank the good TP-Link Devs for including this feature.

------------------------------------------------
1.) Install Wireshark to snoop Ethernet traffic;
2.) Run Wireshark listening on your Ethernet port;
3.) Connect cable from Ethernet port to LAN port on router;
4.) Use "recovery method," that is, power on while holding reset button, etc.
-- check dd-wrt or OpenWRT device pages or search for TFTP recovery instructions for your model/version router -- to boot router into TFTP recovery mode;
5.) You should see traffic from the router in Wireshark;
6.) Set the IP address of your Ethernet port to the address (192.168.0.66 or 192.168.0.33) that the router is looking for by sending out ARP requests;
7.) You may need to power cycle the router to get it booted into TFTP recovery mode again;
8.) When the router finds that special, correct IP address, look in Wireshark to see what the exact filename is that the router wants to upload;
9.) Rename your stock firmware -- a stripped (non "_boot") firmware -- or the factory-to-ddwrt(-us).bin file to the exact filename the router is looking for.

Then start tftp32d (tftp64d) with this renamed file in the correct folder for tftp32d to find for upload, then reboot the router into TFTP recovery mode.
PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. I can't stress this strongly enough. Your patience will be rewarded if things are correctly configured.

If the upload window only lasts a second or so, connect both the workstation Ethernet port and the router LAN port to an already-powered-on switch (NOT a hub).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally prefer how Netgear and others do it where you "tftp" the firmware to the router after putting it in recovery mode.
But TP-Link force the user to run a TFTP Server (tftpd) on their computer, and the router initiates the "tftp" client on its end,
after you rename the firmware to "wr1043nv1_tp_recovery.bin" or some other "****_tp_recovery.bin".
The IP address you set for you computer running the tftpd is 192.168.0.66, but sometimes it is 192.168.1.66... Can be confusing...

------------------------------------
Also see how to unbrick Archer C9v1:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=973922
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=977268#977268
wpelletier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 21:48    Post subject: Lan Not Working WR940N V3 (CA) Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I don't know if it is worth mentioning but I ran into the issue of the lan ports not working and found if I upload the factory-to-ddwrt.bin using Tftp then upload the tl-wr940ndv3-webflash.bin afterwards again using Tftp, the router seems to function normally. Not quite sure what the difference would be as when I uploaded tl-wr940ndv3-webflash.bin through the firmware upgrade option in DD-WRT, I ran into the same issue with the lan not working.

Anyone else tried this?
mishor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr940n#recovery_information.
Made openwrt soft for own wr940n v.3 (ru)throu web interface.
Without problem, all working.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: