Linksys E3200 - Slow WAN Speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Jademalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:07    Post subject: Linksys E3200 - Slow WAN Speeds Reply with quote
I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r29114 mega (02/17/16), which I updated to this morning. Before that I was running 17201 I think.

I have a Virgin connection, and with that comes their Superhub. I've got it set for use as a modem, and it's then plugged into the E3200.
Plugging the Modem directly into my PC, I get WAN speeds of ~207mbit. This is extremely consistent.

Connecting the modem to my router, I was getting ~100mbit on 17206. After upgrading to 29114, I'm getting ~124mbit. This is definitely not a cable issue, since I've checked each link and they're all capable of full gigabit speeds over LAN.
I've tried factory resets on both firmwares, and they didn't produce any benefit at all.

Any advice? This is really annoying since while I know the superhub has better hardware, the feature set is practically nonexistant.

Thanks

EDIT: going to 3.x made it worse, it's now ~75mbit
EDIT2: and going to stock fixed everything. Wonderful. The problem is I don't have some key features with the stock firmware. Bah.
EDIT3: Well time to buy a new router. Asus RT-AC87U or RT-AC68U? Same price, not sure about DD-WRT support for the 87.
Sponsor
native_tx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:35    Post subject: Re: Linksys E3200 - Slow WAN Speeds Reply with quote
Jademalo wrote:
I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r29114 mega (02/17/16), which I updated to this morning. Before that I was running 17201 I think.

I have a Virgin connection, and with that comes their Superhub. I've got it set for use as a modem, and it's then plugged into the E3200.
Plugging the Modem directly into my PC, I get WAN speeds of ~207mbit. This is extremely consistent.

Connecting the modem to my router, I was getting ~100mbit on 17206. After upgrading to 29114, I'm getting ~124mbit. This is definitely not a cable issue, since I've checked each link and they're all capable of full gigabit speeds over LAN.
I've tried factory resets on both firmwares, and they didn't produce any benefit at all.

Any advice? This is really annoying since while I know the superhub has better hardware, the feature set is practically nonexistant.

Thanks

EDIT: going to 3.x made it worse, it's now ~75mbit
EDIT2: and going to stock fixed everything. Wonderful. The problem is I don't have some key features with the stock firmware. Bah.
EDIT3: Well time to buy a new router. Asus RT-AC87U or RT-AC68U? Same price, not sure about DD-WRT support for the 87.

Just a few of questions.
what is the speed your ISP is providing?
What method or steps did you use to do the firmware update?
Have you or did you try the mini build as well?
The reason for the questions is i have the E3200(shibby v132) which is great and was going to try the r29134 mega build but these are betas and there are going to be some type of issues or not any depending on models and between mega or mini while mini's seem to be more stable but they lack features that people need in their network or usage needs. I have a belkin f7d4302 running the r29134 mega build that had some problems with performance issues and i though i cleared the nvram so i had to do the 30-30-30, before the install/after and unplugging the power for 30 seconds but made the difference. The wireless part i need to report on a different post. Just like to hear read your feedback.
Jademalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I mentioned - I get 207 from my ISP.
I did a 30-30-30, update through web interface, 30-30-30
I haven't tried the mini build yet, no. I'll give it a shot later, I'm fed up for today.

What kind of internet down speeds are you getting exactly?

From my tests, I haven't managed to get over 125 when running dd-wrt even though my internet is capable of far more.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jademalo wrote:
I haven't tried the mini build yet, no. I'll give it a shot later, I'm fed up for today.

From my tests, I haven't managed to get over 125 when running dd-wrt even though my internet is capable of far more.

It won't get faster then this, the hardware ist just too weak, the reason why oem manages to do this is because they have a module called fast_nat (ctf in newer models), that bypasses parts of the firewall and there reduces load.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
Jademalo wrote:

It won't get faster then this, the hardware ist just too weak, the reason why oem manages to do this is because they have a module called fast_nat (ctf in newer models), that bypasses parts of the firewall and there reduces load.

Thank you for stopping by with that information, and would this fast_nat be similar to bcm_nat in shibby k26rt-n? Would your build in 2014 dual band mega build perform better than the Feb 20 r29134 mega build currently using the F7D4302 v1 with r29134 kernel 3.10.97-rc1 the only problem that I'm experiencing is the wireless performance from both 2.4 and 5ghz i'll post on new thread later about this?
Jademalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I was worried that was the case. Is there any DD-WRT equivilent of that?

Guess it's time to get a new router then, hopefully one with ac. I'm looking at the RT-AC88U now, I can get an extremely good deal on it and it looks like I won't have any performance issues for a good number of years with it.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jademalo wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, I was worried that was the case. Is there any DD-WRT equivilent of that?
Some more info and other ideas, including from Kong, and info from BrainSlayer:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=996440#996440
[side note: anyone else having issues w/ the '.com' site; I have to use '.de' instead]

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Jademalo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that, I'll give that command a try!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: