Linksys EA6900 Install Guide

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
drc954
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought an EA6900 last month, after using the standard firmware for 30 days or so, decided it's time to install DD-WRT. Old unit was a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH, a very sturdy box, and have done many recoveries using the TFTP method. Reading this guide on installing the Firmware, gave me a sense that it's not going to be a 15 minutes exercise. And, I've been on a Mac OS X platform for over 10 years, which may make it more interesting. Oh, I've got the 1.1 model with the power switch.

Anyway, after the factory reset using the GUI, things went unpredictable. I couldn't get a Web GUI. Entering 192.168.1.1 or myrouter.local, connecting using Ethernet or WiFI, nothing. Then went to the LinkSys site searching factory reset topics, found that I need to ensure I have numeric DNS on my network setup. Turns out that my hardcoded DNS (Google's 8.8.8.8 and others), doesn't play nice. So I removed all DNS entries and just rely on DHCP. Sure enough, it works, I have Web GUI access. Why it works out the box with the network configuration I had before, it's beyond me.

Did as the previous posted did which is to only install the initial DD-WRT build one time (just it case I wanted to go back to original firmware). Then install the latest Kong build r31980M, and using method 2 to keep the 32k bug at bay (NVRAM 26KB/64KB), I now have my DD-WRT router back. Many features were missing when using the original firmware, like WAN bandwidth and connections per device metrics.

And just to let others know, both wireless band uses the same MAC address. The 5GHz signal works fine. I'm connecting my Mac mini and iPad on this link. Surprisingly, Samsung S6 don't have the ability to connect on this frequency, probably it's a Geo marketing limitation here in Asia Pacific. I'll probably stay with this configuration, not moved to the custom CFE to eradicate the 32K bug. Have another problem which is the cable modem. It's a Cisco integrated with WiFi. Not good. My ISP promise to get the normal modem which has been out of stock for quite some time. Let's see what happens next when my connection is at full speed with the new cable modem.

Regard,
DRC
Sponsor
KeepingItCuttingEdge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:44    Post subject: Moving from WRT-Vortex back to DD-WRT Reply with quote
I have done the CFE change and been using Merlin-Vortex for some time, but have occasional "no internet connection" issues. Would like to go back to DD-WRT, but not sure if I can do it directly or if I need to revert to stock first.

THANKS Question
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is usually better to go back to stock that is the one you originally came from.
Be sure to reset to defaults before and after flashing.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
South Side
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out.

I was able to restore to an earlier version of Linksys EA6900 v1.1 firmware which then allowed me to flash to the initial build. However, I can't successfully flash to a newer build either through telnet or the gui.

The steps I'm following are for the Brainslayer build.

I tried the wget with the url but I get a ftp:/ftp.dd-wrt.com link error. My work around is to winscp the linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin (current version) file from my computer to the /tmp directory within the router.

I run the mtd write linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin command, but I don't get error or any message indicating that it ran.

I next run the erase nvram, followed by Hold WPS button and unplug, after 10 seconds plug and hold until light blinks (about 25 seconds).

Once it's done booting, it boots backs to the initial build. I did this a couple of times with no success.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks!
Whitewizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
One would normally wget http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin and mtd write dd-wrt* linux.

Sounds like you got xvortex cfe in but are just reflashing the initial build instead of an updated version.
South Side
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Whitewizard"]One would normally wget http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin and mtd write dd-wrt* linux.

Sounds like you got xvortex cfe in but are just reflashing the initial build instead of an updated version.[/quote]

It (wget) doesn't resolve to either Brainslayer or Kongs download url. Hence I tried transferring the .bin file over directly to the router. Also, I'm not flashing with the same .bin, even though Brainslayer names them the same.

Any other suggestions?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I understand correctly you have flashed the initial build and succeeded in geting the Xvortex CFE on your router?
If so the correct way to flash is:
Code:
CD /tmp
wget http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin
mtd write dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin linux (ignore error, it will flash as indicated by the blinking w)

If wget does not work, then use winscp to copy the file to your /tmp directory

If you did not install the XVortex CFE you should flash to the linux2 partition, but if you did not install the XVortex CFE you should be able to install from the GUI.

N.B. install the Xvortex CFE only with the initial build as per XVortex instructions.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
South Side
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Correct, I was able to install the initial build.

I'm trying to run/flash either Brainslayer or Kong's dd wrt and not XVortex CFE.

When I run (telnet into the router) wget ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/04-24-2017-r31899/linksys-ea6900/linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin I get some url unresolved error (I'll try to post a pic later today of that error). I also tried wget http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin with the same error.

I'm not getting errors or any blinking when I run mtd Linksys-ea6900-webflash.bin after winscp that bin file to the /tmp within the router. Should I place this file somewhere else other than /tmp, since this isn't a Vvortex CFE build? Also, is there another indicator that the command actually ran?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you are not using the XVortex CFE you can upgrade through the DDWRT GUI.

Alternatively download Kong's latest std_arm build and use winscp to copy that to the /tmp directory.

Then issue:
Code:
cd /tmp
mtd write dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_STD.bin [b]linux2[/b] (ignore error)

deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:57    Post subject: Experiences Reply with quote
I had used and changed cfe of router ea6900 from original cfe to xvortex's cfe then to koolshare's cfe and then to asus's cfe and now final to 1.0.21 mod customs cfe. On firmware from ddwrt v24 fifirmware to ddwrt v30 firmware then to asus merlin's firmware then to koolshares firmware and final xvortex firmware. All feature almost unlock like mimo,micro trend nat,mcs,bw,abd,txpwr,speed clock of cpu,ddr3 l ram etc.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:49    Post subject: Common sense Reply with quote
Basic router has 2 storages: external aka like usb or so and internal like flash ic. Internal had 2 kind storages ic call spi NOR flash and NAND flash. Router shall has both but for cut cost and convenience mfc use ussually only 1 kind and the choice is NAND flash with minimum is 128mbyte=4gbit. But cost and unconventional to programming tool. If router was upload firmware that bootloader not expext then you mess up. Router got brick. To unbrick simple reload with compatible firmware that bootloader expect.If somehow firmware written that nvram cross over its place then that partition belong to firmware then router also got brick. Also simple clear and erase nvram then reload other healthy firmware. But also some firmware like tomato also capable write something onto bootloader area then router got hard brick by corruption bootload checksum like deactivate LAN port hw.so you can retore by server port like uart. In worse case ,bootloader decompress got error then router got deep brick. Only way is reload by sdio by mfc or authorized person.another thing is unsold spi NOR flash or NAND flash and program by external programmer. For spi NOR flash you can use like ch341 under bucks or tl866 can be more. For NAND flash programmer cost more with skill and hot air soldering. But after all, for more than 20 years,router still stay in old fashion like nokia smartphone with out smart touch screen compare to iphone. Why the router cannot be able like smart phone era. When you go home, a AI router already download and filter all data that relately to what you want search yesterday. Is that cool? You able to upgrade ehat i cal Fcpu aka Filter Catergory Processor Unit. That is a small like computer that cpu instruction can filter by a program and storaged in ram. If you like then it compress and put in hd. Now you have AI router helper.Only and only thing the AI router changed,speed and speed data up into catergory. Thinking if you have a helper that could speed your mind 10 to thousand time. $^*
ghoffman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:59    Post subject: Re: Experiences Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
I had used and changed cfe of router ea6900 from original cfe to xvortex's cfe then to koolshare's cfe and then to asus's cfe and now final to 1.0.21 mod customs cfe. On firmware from ddwrt v24 fifirmware to ddwrt v30 firmware then to asus merlin's firmware then to koolshares firmware and final xvortex firmware. All feature almost unlock like mimo,micro trend nat,mcs,bw,abd,txpwr,speed clock of cpu,ddr3 l ram etc.

i'm on xvortex original cfe mod. can you provide sources for theses other cfe's?
thanks
bronzemaxell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
from how I understand, the cfe is like the bios/firmware of the computer, act as the middle man between hardware and the operating system, there is really nothing good about the original CFE, it puts a restriction how the router startup on a dual partition, using the vortex CFE mod, over-write the original CFE, and always direct the router to boot on a specified partition.

after vortex mod, also need to erase the NVRAM to clear the old memory once, then whatever firmware (OS) you choose to run is totally up to you.
Worldinc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 23:07    Post subject: TTL=100 loop Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm having the same issue kttmrt described. Something went wrong with my config, I rebooted the router and now I lost all access. The router now shows TTL=100 for about 3 minutes, then the power light stays on (stops breathing) for a few seconds and then it starts again with TTL=100.

-I tried uploading the basic DD-WRT image through TFTP close to 100 times manually at this point, trying all possible timings.
-I tried tftp2 go on with 99 retries hoping it would catch it at the right moment at least once, it didn't.
-I tried the 10s WPS button method EGC suggested, followed by many 30/30/30 resets attempts.

I'm still at the same point after all this. Any help would be appreciated. I have the stock CFE and I was on build 31870 (Kong) before all this started happening. Hardware version is v1.1.
Thanks
Whitewizard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the stock cfe you may get it back by turning it on, waiting 10s, turning it off, and repeating that 4 times. It should load back to the stock linksys fw and if it does not should allow for a tftp. Sucks that tftp the initial flash didnt work as it will restore broke nvram and settings.

The hold wps to reset is not a feature on stock cfe. Just hold the reset button while it is off and for 10s after power on.
30/30/30 may brick broadcom units.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 8 of 13
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: