WRT54GS or WRT54GL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cjh2184
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 23:30    Post subject: WRT54GS or WRT54GL? Reply with quote
I'm thinking of buying either a WRT54GS or WRT54GL. I'm not sure which one to choose. I know that the new versions of the GS, have smaller memory. Does this mean I can't use the standard DD-WRT?

And is the WRT54GL just as good for signal strength and speed? I currently have a "Netgear WPN824", it's good for signal strength. But freezes with P2P file sharing, that's why I want a Linksys router, so that I can upgrade the firmware to DD-WRT and fix this irritating problem. And also edit the signal strength of the antena to make sure it gives a good signal through the house.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Sponsor
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get WRT54GL or WHR-HP-G54 (if you can find one).
cjh2184
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Get WRT54GL or WHR-HP-G54 (if you can find one).

Which ones better, in terms of third party firmware, speed, range and the ability to use on P2P file sharing without any problems?
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everyone will tell you the WHR-HP-G54 is better and they are correct. But, because of the patent dispute with the Australian government, Buffalo's are very hard to find and their price has skyrocketed outrageously (not worth it). Luckily I still have a couple to play with :-)

If you can't find the WHR-HP-G54 or too expensive, just get a WRT54GL instead. ASUS dd-wrt compatible routers are usually special order items. Go to the dd-wrt wiki to find oout compatible routers, many are no longer being produced.

btw, don't purchase ANY current generation Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS, they have limited flash/ram and like the Netgear, will freeze under p2p load.

Also if you have a VERY high speed FIOS/FTTH connection or some university internet connection, you may even need a MUCH higher performance router. dd-wrt will track about 4096 connections, but once you reach about 2048 connections, everything starts slowing down to a crawl in a high speed environment such as FIOS+p2p. I've done some testing on a FIOS connection and at about 150 to 200 simultaneous connections, blasting data in both directions with QoS turned off, cpu usage maxed out. If you are a ed2k/bittorrent freak that needs to shape traffic + max out your very high speed connection + share it with many people, then build yourself a router using spare parts + dd-wrt x86, or buy one of those newer Ubicom-based/gaming routers.

-Simon
cjh2184
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Everyone will tell you the WHR-HP-G54 is better and they are correct. But, because of the patent dispute with the Australian government, Buffalo's are very hard to find and their price has skyrocketed outrageously (not worth it). Luckily I still have a couple to play with :-)

If you can't find the WHR-HP-G54 or too expensive, just get a WRT54GL instead. ASUS dd-wrt compatible routers are usually special order items. Go to the dd-wrt wiki to find oout compatible routers, many are no longer being produced.

btw, don't purchase ANY current generation Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GS, they have limited flash/ram and like the Netgear, will freeze under p2p load.

Also if you have a VERY high speed FIOS/FTTH connection or some university internet connection, you may even need a MUCH higher performance router. dd-wrt will track about 4096 connections, but once you reach about 2048 connections, everything starts slowing down to a crawl in a high speed environment such as FIOS+p2p. I've done some testing on a FIOS connection and at about 150 to 200 simultaneous connections, blasting data in both directions with QoS turned off, cpu usage maxed out. If you are a ed2k/bittorrent freak that needs to shape traffic + max out your very high speed connection + share it with many people, then build yourself a router using spare parts + dd-wrt x86, or buy one of those newer Ubicom-based/gaming routers.

-Simon

Thanks for your help. There's not a lot of support for the Buffalo router in terms of third party firmware. So I bought a Linksys WRT54GL router last night. I'm not a completed P2P freak. I get acceptable speeds with 200 global connections. I just don't like it when my router locks up. This Netgear WPN824 sucks, it locks up when running 15 connections... that's how bad it is.
I have a 20mb cable connection, I can get around 3200kb/s with my cable modem alone using a download accelerator. But I'm happy with a few hundred Kb/s for P2P... as long as it doesn't lock up. Because I download from IRC, and I hate it when it kills a download I've been queued for. Thanks again!
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your very welcome..
btw.. 20mbps is just about the max you can get out of a $50 router. All of the good firmwares will run on both the wrt54gl & the whr-hp-g54. If your an IRC -based file sharer, you might be interested into more automated ways of transferring files. Is their a particular reason you like irc based file sharing? The queues are irritating and i find it cumbersome, unless using one of those automated irc robots. IRC are now mostly hacker driven and often used to distribute small files/codes. Darknets are replacing many irc functions... Anyhow good luck.

-Simon
kipsus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to make another thread.. I got WRT54G/GS/GL at my local shop but as the 54G my friend bought was v7, I suspect the 54GS will also be some shite new version. So I guess 54GL is my only tried and true option, right?
Qapla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 14:28    Post subject: WRT54GS or WRT54GL? Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
Everyone will tell you the WHR-HP-G54 is better and they are correct. But, because of the patent dispute with the Australian government, Buffalo's are very hard to find and their price has skyrocketed outrageously (not worth it)...If you can't find the WHR-HP-G54 or too expensive

Just checked eBay and it returned 32 items.
( http://search.ebay.com/WHR-HP-G54_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsatitleZWHRQ2dHPQ2dG54 )

Many are reported as new and some claim to have dd-wrt alreadt installed This one is $59.95 (BIN) with $29.95 shipping - for a total of $89.90
( http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffalo-WHR-HP-G54-Wireless-G-DD-WRT-firmware-installed_W0QQitemZ300210806571QQihZ020QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

Guess it all depends on what you call expensive
kipsus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah well I don't like buying stuff from eBay if I have a good choice locally and I don't mind fiddling with flash myself. And it can also easily become unnecessarily expensive because of shipping
Frenchy2k1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
provided you can get an ASUS WL520GU for $45 shipped (newegg), which is a router compatible with DD-WRT, 16/4 ram/flash like a GL but with a USB port, paying twice for the buffalo can be considered somewhat expensive...
zoofuzeu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 19:14    Post subject: Re: WRT54GS or WRT54GL? Reply with quote
I heard the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 has encrypted firmware and flashing it might be much more difficult than a firmware upgrade through the GUI.
So I just got mine on ebay with dd-wrt preloaded. wells pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=130214117880
LLigetfa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashing Buffalo routers using TFTP is child's play. In fact, TFTP is the best method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: