Belkin F5D8230-4 v1001ea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
MysticCobra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
andreev2001 wrote:
Check the Internet LED on the router. It must be ON or blinking. If not then you may have a hardware problem. It could be the cable between the modem and the router /most likely/, power supply or WAN port /I don't believe/.

The Internet LED does blink when the router is connected to the cable modem, at a steady ~2Hz rate; it never "flickers" like I'd expect if it were showing actual comm activity (and the DD-WRT bandwidth monitor screen never shows any comm from the cable modem to the router). I have tried multiple Ethernet cables, all of which work fine when plugged directly between the PC and cable modem.

Quote:
If the the LED is ON or blinking then I'd suggest the stable version /dd-wrt.v24_atheros_wifi.bin from 27-07-08/. I am using this one. When you update the fw select After Flashing reset to defaults option and be patient. It will reboot a few times until is done.

I am using this version as well, but I don't remember if I selected "reset to defaults" or not when I flashed it. I'll try flashing again with that option to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Jim
Sponsor
MysticCobra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
MysticCobra wrote:
I am using this version as well, but I don't remember if I selected "reset to defaults" or not when I flashed it. I'll try flashing again with that option to see what happens.
I tried reflashing w/ reset-to-defaults, as well as resetting to factory defaults from within DD-WRT (without reflashing). No joy.

I wonder if I damaged the WAN receiver line somehow when I had the case open. Everything else about the router still appears to work, though. When I get time, I'll reload the Belkin firmware and see if that still works.

Thanks again for the help,
Jim
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
MysticCobra wrote:

I wonder if I damaged the WAN receiver line somehow when I had the case open. Everything else about the router still appears to work, though. When I get time, I'll reload the Belkin firmware and see if that still works.

Thanks again for the help,
Jim

I don't think the WAN is damaged just because you opened the case. In the very beginning there was a problem with a WAN/LAN configuration on this router. Eko send me a custom firmware that was fixing the nvram configuration. It is in this thread on page 3. You may want to try it. The wifi won't work because of your card. But you may want to try just to test the WAN port.
My understanding is that you have no luck at all with WAN using dd-wrt. If so I'd suggest to check your FIC ID /On the router label on the bottom/.
It should say SA3-AGN0901AP0100. And make a visual inspection of WAN port and modem's Ethernet port as well.
If you decide to open the router check the CPU and the switch models. See my signature.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
andreev2001 wrote:
I don't think the WAN is damaged just because you opened the case. In the very beginning there was a problem with a WAN/LAN configuration on this router. Eko send me a custom firmware that was fixing the nvram configuration. It is in this thread on page 3. You may want to try it. The wifi won't work because of your card. But you may want to try just to test the WAN port.
Thanks--I'll go back and try that. I had avoided it since I knew the wifi wouldn't work, and I was looking for the "get it all working" solution.

Quote:
My understanding is that you have no luck at all with WAN using dd-wrt. If so I'd suggest to check your FIC ID /On the router label on the bottom/.
It should say SA3-AGN0901AP0100. And make a visual inspection of WAN port and modem's Ethernet port as well.
If you decide to open the router check the CPU and the switch models. See my signature.
Yes, that's true--no WAN at all. My FIC ID matches yours, and the router's WAN port appears clean and normal. Cable modem's port looks fine and I know it works, since my PC is plugged into it right now.

I'll check the chips if I open the case again, but DD-WRT reports "Router Model: Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 / CPU Model: Broadcom BCM4704 chip rev 8 / CPU Clock: 264 MHz" on the Status->Router page, if that's worth anything...
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
MysticCobra wrote:

I'll check the chips if I open the case again, but DD-WRT reports "Router Model: Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 / CPU Model: Broadcom BCM4704 chip rev 8 / CPU Clock: 264 MHz" on the Status->Router page, if that's worth anything...

It should report "Belkin board F5D8230". Somehow your nvram settings are different /maybe wrong/. And your router is not recognized properly. I do believe that is the reason the switch is not initialized properly.

here is the result of "nvram show | grep board" command on my router.
boardrev=0x10
boardtype=0x0100
boardflags2=0x0208
DD_BOARD=Belkin board F5D8230
You may have to ask some nvram expert about it.

Belkin_status.JPG
 Description:
Belkin status screenshot
 Filesize:  28.21 KB
 Viewed:  17052 Time(s)

Belkin_status.JPG

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
andreev2001 wrote:
MysticCobra wrote:
... DD-WRT reports "Router Model: Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 / CPU Model: Broadcom BCM4704 chip rev 8 / CPU Clock: 264 MHz" on the Status->Router page, if that's worth anything...

It should report "Belkin board F5D8230". Somehow your nvram settings are different /maybe wrong/. And your router is not recognized properly. I do believe that is the reason the switch is not initialized properly.
<snip>

Interesting. I found the old test version of the firmware (dd-wrt.v24_mini.bin) from p. 3 of this thread and tried loading it--*that* one did identify my board as an F5D8230, and it *did* pull down a DHCP config from the cable modem via the WAN port.

Sounds like I somehow need the part of the code that handles the switch from that test firmware, plus the atheros support from the 10011 (or better) firmware. Maybe it's time to start playing with the firmware mod kit....
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
MysticCobra wrote:

Sounds like I somehow need the part of the code that handles the switch from that test firmware, plus the atheros support from the 10011 (or better) firmware. Maybe it's time to start playing with the firmware mod kit....

Don't be tempted to fix it like that. If something in later version is broken then we should file a bug to developers. I suspect at some point of time you were using wring fw and you nvram variables are not quite right. If the custom version works for you then you can update to the latest stable one and see what happen. Just in case here is a link:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/v24-sp1/Consumer/Belkin/F5D8230-4/dd-wrt.v24_atheros_wifi.bin

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 20:38    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote
I installed a atheros wireless card, and installed the V24-sp1 and it worked like a charm, wireless works, local network ports work, but not the wan port. It also reports the main board as being a Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 which is wrong, hopefully somebody will figure this out.
MadMaxDallas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 22:19    Post subject: Network Settings Reply with quote
Since yours seems to work, could you please post your vlan page and network page in setup section. I believe the problem is there.
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Re: Network Settings Reply with quote
MadMaxDallas wrote:
Since yours seems to work, could you please post your vlan page and network page in setup section. I believe the problem is there.

Make sure the wireless mode is AP

Network.zip
 Description:
Network configuration screenshots

Download
 Filename:  Network.zip
 Filesize:  63.02 KB
 Downloaded:  1087 Time(s)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:19    Post subject: Im Excited!!!!! Working all of it Reply with quote
Well, even after flashing it a few times. I read back and installed the v24-mini, and all the ports worked, it got the dhcp addresses and all was good except wireless.

Then holding my breath for the minute I reloaded the full v24-atheros, and bam!!! all is working. I even released the dhcp address and got a new one. I guess something in the mini must make some changes in the vram. So I dont know what I did, but I am a happy camper. And this is my first router with dd-wrt, love the monitoring and additional functions!!! Thanks guys/gals!!!
MadMaxDallas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:37    Post subject: I believe Reply with quote
That when I first installed the atheros version that it had my wan set wrong, I do know I tryed both eth0 and eth1 (think it was set to a vlan) and that the bridge was wrong. If anybody else sees this you might post it. I wish I had taken a few screen shots, so I would really know what the difference was. I also didnt have it hooked up to a wan at first when I was programming it. Could it have been confused on that? Does dd-wrt look at the ports during install to figure out what state it is in?
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 17:53    Post subject: Re: I believe Reply with quote
MadMaxDallas wrote:
also didnt have it hooked up to a wan at first when I was programming it. Could it have been confused on that? Does dd-wrt look at the ports during install to figure out what state it is in?

I don't think so. When I started troubleshooting this router in the beginning It wasn't connected to the wan.
I do remember there was a time when I had to flash the fw from page 3 first and then update to a new fw without resetting to default in order to make it work. It was a months ago. Now I believe new fw should work without workaround.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got discouraged and put my router away to focus on other things for a while, but MadMax's recent success gave me hope so I pulled it out to work on it again. Unfortunately, I feel like I'm going backward instead of forward. Also unfortunately, I've tried so many different firmwares and in every conceivable combination of TFTP vs. flashing from within DD-WRT, assigning IPs vs. DHCP, resetting firmware to defaults vs. not, etc. that it's all blurring together.

BTW, this is the exact situation I was in as well:
MadMaxDallas wrote:
I installed a atheros wireless card, and installed the V24-sp1 and it worked like a charm, wireless works, local network ports work, but not the wan port. It also reports the main board as being a Askey board RT2205(6)D-D56 which is wrong, hopefully somebody will figure this out.

So now I'm trying to follow in MadMax's footsteps, and I'm focusing on the first step of reinstalling the "WAN works but wifi doesn't" v24_mini firmware. I did this successfully back on June 30, but when I try to do it today, I get a brick. (Specifically, the router assigns a bogus 169.254.x.x IP address to my PC via DHCP. If I manually assign my PC a 192.168.1.x address, I can't see the router at 192.168.1.1. My only recovery is to manually assign a 192.168.2.x PC address, reset the router, and reflash to another firmware.)

I can move between the factory Belkin firmware (1.01.03) and the atheros 10011 build at will, but the atheros build refuses to load the WAN config, and now I can't seem to get the v24_mini test firmware to function.

I get the feeling I need to "wipe the slate clean" inside my router to start from scratch from a known good config, but I have no idea how to do that, if reinstalling the factory firmware doesn't do it.

Once again I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has advice.

Thanks,
Jim
andreev2001
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd suggest to try the following steps:
1. Reset the router.
2. Install the fw from page 3 on this thread. It will fix /I hope/ the WAN configuration. Keep in mind the wi-fi won't work. Don't touch any configuration and DON'T RESET the router.
3. Install the atheros fw. The link is on page 14 on this thread.
You know how to use tftp. Just in case same where in this thread /page 2-4/ you will find instructions if you need to refresh your memory.

It should work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: