DD-WRT on the TP-Link MR3420 v2.4 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
darkguy2008
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 23:34    Post subject: DD-WRT on the TP-Link MR3420 v2.4 ? Reply with quote
Hello Smile

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here Very Happy. I got a cool TP-Link MR3420 v2.4 router which I bricked and had to revive by using JTAG methods and a CA-42 Nokia cable Sad but looking for info about it, I found in *that other software's forum* (dunno if I'm allowed to link) that the hardware in my router could be similar to the WR841ND v8.

The board is pretty similar, though JTAGging didn't require any kind of resistor (I assume because my cable already provides the 3.3V needed for the stable serial connection). Either way, the router is alive and kicking again, but I'm writing here regards to something else:

Taking in account that some unbricking methods of the MR3220, older versions of MR3420 (v2.3) and WR841ND were pretty similar and identical in some aspects, I'm starting to think that I can install DD-WRT for the MR3420 v1.x or for the WR841ND v3.x in my MR3420 v2.4...

Is it possible? what do you guys say, since you know better about the chipset and memory requirements - I don't want to go through the JTAG method again to revive my router since it was kind of risky (I don't usually mess with electronics very much) but taking in account the devices are pretty similar, the question arised.

Also, I don't like *that other software* because its interface was clunky, it required a special version made by an indonesian a few years ago and finding the files was a total pain in the you-know-what. I'd rather use DD-WRT even if I don't have a few features of it.

Thanks in advance for those who can provide any pointers! Smile

Edit: Some details:

FCC ID: TE7MR3420V2
FLA1: 4 MiB (Spansion FL032PIF)
RAM1: 32 MiB (Winbond W9425G6JH-5)

Board image (high-res): http://i.imgur.com/n1geH9F.jpg

Never mind, my assumptions were right: Use TFTP JTAG mode as illustrated here: [url]http://wiki.***wrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd#tftp_install[/url] (replace *** with the... other app name) and use the tl-wr841ndv8 build (I used the latest 2014 one). I'm posting this through the live connection from the router, here's some evidence it's working (before inserting the WAN cable though):

So yeah, you can add it to your working router database, MR3420 v2.4. Gimme some credit though! xD
Sponsor
droid-I
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router (v.2.4) and bricked it in the same manner as hundreds
of others did and still do(using the "other software" and then tinkering more with upgrades/reverts).

Revived it with JTAG method, running now stock firmware. Using 4G as WAN connection.

How does the router work now with the WR841ND dd-wrt?

Does the USB port work? How about 3G/4G modem dongle support?

One thing I like about the stock firmware is the ease of setting up access restrictions.
In DD-WRT it seems more difficult to configure to a working level.

Also that it shows the 3G/4G signal strength is a plus.

Would also like to try dd-wrt on my router, but dislike the idea to do a JTAG revive again
as it is fairy difficult to open the box without breaking anything.
Can it be restored to stock fw via GUI from dd-wrt?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
droid-I wrote:
I have the same router (v.2.4) and bricked it in the same manner as hundreds
of others did and still do(using the "other software" and then tinkering more with upgrades/reverts).

Revived it with JTAG method, running now stock firmware. Using 4G as WAN connection.

How does the router work now with the WR841ND dd-wrt?

Does the USB port work? How about 3G/4G modem dongle support?

One thing I like about the stock firmware is the ease of setting up access restrictions.
In DD-WRT it seems more difficult to configure to a working level.

Also that it shows the 3G/4G signal strength is a plus.

Would also like to try dd-wrt on my router, but dislike the idea to do a JTAG revive again
as it is fairy difficult to open the box without breaking anything.
Can it be restored to stock fw via GUI from dd-wrt?
Hey, long time I don't pass by haha, the router has been working great so far with that DD-WRT version. I dunno about the USB/3G/4G support though, as I never had any to plug neither did I have the reason to install an USB key to it so I dunno how it'd work, but I think it should work okay, you can give it a whirl.

Regarding the factory reset, no idea, I'd do it through JTAG just to be safe Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: