Asus RT-AC66U will not take dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
dbell68
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 10-10-2017-r33492 build works again with RT-AC66U. Been running for a few days now.
Sponsor
RandomJerk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 23:21    Post subject: Bricked AC66U ? Reply with quote
I got a AC66U recently and tried flashing the latest BS build .trx file as per the Wiki and seems to have bricked the router in the process.

After flashing the trx file from the Asus UI, I rebooted the router and it does nothing from there on. It doesn't respond to ping/SSH or Telnet on 192.168.1.1. I tried to reset the router by turning it off, pressing the WPS button for 5 secs, turning it on and pressing it for 10 secs. Nothing seems to help. Don't see Asus recovery mode coming up. Any ideas or help in recovering it are appreciated. Thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
To access recovery: start a continuous ping. tTrn off the router. Hold the reset button in while turning on the router. When the ping responses are ttl=100 and/or the power led is flashing it is in recovery mode.
Then use the mini cfe web browser, I prefer to use tftpd32, to upload asus/rmerlin or dd-wrt.
This is the method required to flash any asus router which has recent asus firmware on it, as asus is trying to prevent the installation of third party firmware.

Also if the ac66u you just got has non removeable antenna, then use the firmware for the rt-ac68u, because that's what it really is.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
To access recovery: start a continuous ping. tTrn off the router. Hold the reset button in while turning on the router. When the ping responses are ttl=100 and/or the power led is flashing it is in recovery mode.
Then use the mini cfe web browser, I prefer to use tftpd32, to upload asus/rmerlin or dd-wrt.
This is the method required to flash any asus router which has recent asus firmware on it, as asus is trying to prevent the installation of third party firmware.

Also if the ac66u you just got has non removeable antenna, then use the firmware for the rt-ac68u, because that's what it really is.

Thanks for the response. I'm finally able to get into recovery mode. I tried to upload the latest firmware from the below link directly in the recovery page and nothing happened.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/04-26-2018-r35831/asus-rt-ac66u/

I'm completely stumped by CFE Web browser or TFTP. I followed the Wiki here and it says I should give it plenty of time after I get the dddwrt onto the router from the recovery mode. Is that true?

At this point, I'm confused on what I have to do to get this working as DDWRT wiki, Wiki Dev and you seem to be suggesting different things.

Question

P.S. I have removable antennas for my router, so I'm sure its the AC66U

Last edited by RandomJerk on Tue May 08, 2018 0:15; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try tftpd32. Also like I said, make sure you have the old rt-ac66u with the removable antenna. Also, that build version may not actually work.
Try an older build known to work on the rt-ac66u. I know this one works, as I use it.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/02-04-2015-r26138/asus-rt-ac66u/dd-wrt-26138-Asus_RT-AC66U.trx

Last edited by Malachi on Tue May 08, 2018 0:16; edited 1 time in total
RandomJerk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try tftpd32. Also like I said, make sure you have the old rt-ac66u with the removable antenna.

Thanks. Can I just jam in the latest BS build trx file into the router using TFTP? Or is there a known working version that I should use?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
See my edit above.
You could also use tftpd32 to flash this https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC66U/Release/RT-AC66U_380.58_0.zip/download
Then you should be able to flash dd-wrt straight from the GUI.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
See my edit above.
You could also use tftpd32 to flash this https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC66U/Release/RT-AC66U_380.58_0.zip/download

Quick q? Any idea which port tftp runs on this router? Doing a tftp put file through Linux doesn't seem to work
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know. I use windows.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
See my edit above.

Thanks for the link. I did put the router in recovery mode and Tftped the merlin firmware through a windows Virtual machine. It seemed to finish successfully and the power led stopped blinking and is continously on. Should I restart this thing myself or leave it alone till it restarts? No other led other than port4 (which is connected) are glowing at this point.

Accessing the router through the url 192.168.1.1 still shows asus recovery screen
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Restart it. When you say tftp are you using tftpd32?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Restart it. When you say tftp are you using tftpd32?

Using tftp2.exe from the link below.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_TFTP_Flash#Windows

I was able to flash the Merlin firmware from recovery UI, and tried flashing ddwrt from the Merlin UI, but that didn't work too
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Not tftp2.exe. Tftpd32. Not counting this post, I’ve nentioned tftpd32 nine times.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://tftpd32.jounin.net

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No. Not tftp2.exe. Tftpd32. Not counting this post, I’ve nentioned tftpd32 nine times.

You did and its my bad. I didn't realize the actual tftp client did matter, as long as you had something to do the tftp flash
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: