Support for TP-Link TL-WR810N?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
TOMill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
KrypteX wrote:

No support yet. Use this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1033564#1033564

Thanks. But didn't that build lack a working OpenVPN function?

How would I find out if support for this device has been added btw?
Sponsor
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any update on DD-WRT support for TL-WR810N?

The TL-WR841ND v11 port by KrypteX is unfortunately no option for me since I need OpenVPN. LEDE/OpenWRT trunk is running fine on the unit including OpenVPN , but I would prefer DD-WRT.
nullnothere
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the USB port on the device is free (and mountable as a USB storage device), one option is to try and use the OpenWRT's openvpn (ipk) files [see https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/ ] setup on the USB stick.

With one of those "mini or micro or whatever" USB thingies (which just about sticks out of the port) it should be pretty unobtrusive and yet give you plenty of space to install other additional packages if you so desire.

You may have to test things out a bit to get the settings/scripts etc. but the nice part is you can do all this painlessly via USB and experimenting (not even a reboot is required).

Also, I assume ar71xx is the right architecture but do pick the right one in case I'm wrong.

HTH.
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
nullnothere wrote:
If the USB port on the device is free (and mountable as a USB storage device), one option is to try and use the OpenWRT's openvpn (ipk) files [see https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/ ] setup on the USB stick.

With one of those "mini or micro or whatever" USB thingies (which just about sticks out of the port) it should be pretty unobtrusive and yet give you plenty of space to install other additional packages if you so desire.

You may have to test things out a bit to get the settings/scripts etc. but the nice part is you can do all this painlessly via USB and experimenting (not even a reboot is required).

Also, I assume ar71xx is the right architecture but do pick the right one in case I'm wrong.

HTH.

Do you mean install the DD-WRT port by KrypteX and then use OpenWRT ipk to install openvpn on a USB stick and use it with DD-WRT? Didn't know that that was possible... is there a guide somewhere?

Or did you mean using OpenWRT (what I already did successfully)? there is no USB stick needed, since due to the 8mg flash luci and also openVPN can be installed without extroot.
nullnothere
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@p4p4,

Yes - I meant install dd-wrt and then use the USB stick to keep your "runnable" openvpn installable-setup and then run it (preferably via script or autostart as you desire).

I had assumed that since you mentioned you wanted openvpn support and preferred dd-wrt instead of openwrt, this was something you were interested to try.

There is no guide (AFAIK) but roughly, here are my thoughts:

1. usb support - nothing special here. Format your usb stick (try with ext2 or ext3 in case of issues with ext4 - because somewhere else someone had issues with ext4 - search the forum). the stick is just another extra storage area for you.

2. download the relevant openvpn packages from the linked URL (see my earlier post - I'm not sure if ar71xxx is the right architecture but I think it is). You'll also have to get whatever dependencies openvpn packages have like *ssl etc. See the packages file to get the list of dependencies (you need to recurse!).

3. The ipk is nothing but a tgz file - so extract it (and within there is yet another data.tar.gz file - this is the actual stuff you need extracted - this will be stuff like usr/sbin/openvpn etc.). Extract the data.tar.gz correctly under whatever dir you want on the USB stick.

4. After extracting whatever files (and dependencies) from 3, you should have a folder (say) /tmp/usbmount/openvpn/{usr,bin,sbin} etc. (with sub folders like usr/bin, usr/sbin etc. as well under usr) .

5. All the files under the .../openvpn/ folder from (4) above can be run as long as the relevant paths are correct for the binaries. You will probably have to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct folder path for the libs as required by openvpn in case they are not available within your main dd-wrt setup.

6. ldd should show you if all is well or not for the binaries.

7. You should be all set to run openvpn (or any other binaries) with whatever configs etc.

8. Script the above (mainly the LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and run whatever you want from a manually executed script or an autostart script.

9. This is all relatively trivial if you're somewhat familiar with *nix (and is usually much easier and less risky than flashing - so since you're someone who has successfully flashed to dd-wrt, I think this'll be a breeze for you!).

10. This was just an example for openvpn. Change whatever you need according to your needs/preferences.

HTH.
p4p4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
@nullnothere

thanks for the detailed info! Do I assume correctly that with this installation I don't have a GUI for configuring OpenVPN?
nullnothere
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
p4p4 wrote:

@nullnothere

thanks for the detailed info! Do I assume correctly that with this installation I don't have a GUI for configuring OpenVPN?

I'm not aware of any GUI to help configure/setup/run openvpn and I've typically just edited the relevant text files and run it (of course after various bits of trial and error before settling on a "final" config file). AFAIK, there are some (easy-rsa) scripts to help with the cert generation etc.

If there is a GUI (helper), please post info.

Also, in case you are open to other alternatives (esp. based on your own PC/Laptop rather than on the limited cpu-power routers), you can also look at softether.org which seems better and easier to run (esp. for non Linux users). Again YMMV - I've not had a chance to test it out personally.

HTH.

P.S: edited to correct some formatting issues/quoting.
sageman33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any update on when the WR810N will be officially supported?

I installed the image that KrypteX so graciously posted however it limits the flash to only 4MB and there is no room left to install the VPN software I want. Also from what I could tell the image provided did not include USB support so I cannot add a USB drive either.

If anyone has info how to get an IPsec VPN client installed with these limitation please let me know.
morpheon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is there any update on when the WR810N will be officially supported?
digitalchoice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks KrypteX.

But the version factory-to-ddwrt_29739_WR810Nv1 is compatible with HW version 1.1 ? (TL-WR810N EU)

Thanks for the answer.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitalchoice wrote:
Thanks KrypteX.

But the version factory-to-ddwrt_29739_WR810Nv1 is compatible with HW version 1.1 ? (TL-WR810N EU)

Yes, here http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1033564#1033564

digitalchoice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
This message is for confirm that the version factory-to-ddwrt_29739_WR810Nv1 work great with HW version 1.1 (TL-WR810N EU).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1033564#1033564

Today morning i have make flash my TP-LINK TL-WR810N v1.1 EU.

Everything works great with this version of dd-wrt, thanks KrypteX again.
morpheon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you confirm if the full 16mb is available in this version and has anyone got OpenVPN working?
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
morpheon wrote:
Can you confirm if the full 16mb is available in this version and has anyone got OpenVPN working?

Only 8MB build, since it's taken from an 8MB flash router. It includes OpenVPN.

Cr0n_J0b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 22:14    Post subject: Thanks for the Firmware Kryprex (Sorry for Cross post) Reply with quote
I loaded the Firmware that you patched from the first page of this thread and for the most part I'm very happy with it. I'm having some stability issues however and would like to upgrade to a newer version of the firmware. Can I just download and upgrade using the something like "tl-wr841nd-webflash-US.bin" from the R30880 beta folder? And in the future can I just upgrade the firmware using the 841nd firmware?

By the way, thanks for your work in making this available. I really appreciate the help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: